Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THUMBS DOWN

Options
  • 09-07-2010 11:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

i want thumbs down .......like thumbs up but opposite of course........i dont really care if it does anything i just want to be able to show in graphical form that i dont like posts.....

Image+%3D+thumbs-down-3.gif
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Thread 1,000, not gonna happen

Just use that pic above :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's been suggested loads of times and hasn't had much support. The negativity it would add to using the site is the main concern I believe.

If you don't agree with a post it's better to state why rather than just clicking on a button to show disapproval. It's different for the thumbs up feature because it can mean many different things, agreement, it was funny, interesting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree it a no no. Some of the best threads on boards are from people with disagree with each others points of view. Clicking disagree would kill the discussions. Wouldn't you agree?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

denballs wrote: »
    i want thumbs down .......like thumbs up but opposite of course.......

Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

attachment.php?attachmentid=119632&stc=1&d=1278684114

• Registered Users Posts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It would be a good thing imo. For instance in the case of a troll/baiter he just gets a thumbs down instead of a response. Often times a troll/baiter can lead to others getting infracted/banned because they respond while annoyed and break a rule.

thats what report.gif is for in fairness.

The rest is down to a user's self control, and not calling someone a bastard and hoping they die in a fire, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

This one's better report.gif

mario_id_hit_that.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Thumbs Down eh? I imagine that concept would be the wet dream of every troll on boards.ie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Thumbs Down eh? I imagine that concept would be the wet dream of every troll on boards.ie. ;)

And the bullies, the cliques - not to mention those who can't actually formulate an argument but desperately want a way to give two fingers to other posters...

The thumbs up isn't just to show approval, it says that a post is funny, or clever or well formulated - I often thank posts I don't necessarily 100% agree with because they are well thought out, interesting or makes me smile. If someone disagrees with a post then I think they should have to say why or we get situations where posts end up with 10+ and 10- and it's less about content than who is posting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

the cliques - not to mention those who can't actually formulate an argument but desperately want a way to give two fingers to other posters...

I dont fully agree with a thumbs down but that point you mentioned there could easily be seen the opposite way where certain people seem to get loads of thanks and some people dont comment anymore, simply click on the hand. Theres plenty of thanking cliques in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I dont fully agree with a thumbs down but that point you mentioned there could easily be seen the opposite way where certain people seem to get loads of thanks and some people dont comment anymore, simply click on the hand. Theres plenty of thanking cliques in my opinion.

I don't really know of posters who's only interactions on boards consist of thumbs up, I would think they are almost certainly in the minority and I think not having to trail thru a heap of +1's makes it a worthwhile option.

I can think of several examples off the top of my head where certain posters posting in certain forums are almost guaranteed a thanks regardless of the quality of their posting - but then a thanking clique or pattern doesn't have quite the same negative motivation towards a specific poster that the opposite would have...imagine thumbs down in the religious forums or the soccer forum, for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

LZ5by5 wrote: »

I'll give that a thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I said it a few times before but it's a Turkeys Voting For Christmas job. Many of the people who are so desperate to bring in (and use) thumbs-down/bad rep might well end up being slapped down with the functionality themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There should be an Arse Lick button on deV's posts, so that the real Thankers can be distinguished from the Licks. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Wait, what now? :D

Oh I get it, name dropping is the new thanks.:pac:

OP.
    Post gets thanks so poster is happy.

Post gets the thumbs down, thread is derailed by poster asking poster x y and z to explain why their post got the thumbs down and why they haven't posted a reply to explain themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

one person says no and the rest of you jump on the bandwagon so you can feel part of somthing well......the first person was insurmountably incorrect and you all were wrong to follow him............if i cant have my nero thumb ill just start doing :mad::mad::mad:post above:mad::mad::mad: nd make it catch on like a sheep beside a bonfire...........mwahhahahahahahaha..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Not really, it's just that this idea has been posted before, numerous times.

I guess we keep giving the same answers because it just wouldn't work.

No bandwagon, just straight answers.

• Advertisement

Not really, it's just that this idea has been posted before, numerous times.

I guess we keep giving the same answers because it just wouldn't work.

No bandwagon, just straight answers.

well your entitled to your opinion and im entitled to my opinion of your opinion ,,,,,,,,,:mad:

the very fact that it has been suggested so many times should show that people want it

btw..a bit off topic but i noticed your sig...do you really like bret heart........wrestling back in his day was a joke.........a leg drop was the biggest move.......stupid storylines.........im not saying its at its peek now but back in the days when kane wore a mask and the proper dx {hhh-seam michaels-x-pac-ba billy gun-road dogg-and china}..........that was proper pro wrestling..........even now that brets back around hes a joke.........though as i said a bit off topic......just had to ask are you serious ly a fan of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The fact that it has caused nothing but hassle the times it was implemented should show that it shouldn't be tried again. Look up reputation and karma. Same thing. Led to really, REALLY stupid Feedback threads where people complained about someone not liking their post.

Just come up with a post expressing your dislike or disagreement. That's sort of why it's called a discussion board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

TWDvd.jpg

^ I have the box set. Godthumb is still the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you agree with/like something, all you have to do is thank it - there's no need to explain why you agree with/like it.

If you disagree with something, well, this being a discussion board, it's surely reasonable that you explain why. Most people would want to explain why anyway. A thumbs down button is the equivalent of posting "I disagree" and leaving it at that. Inevitably at least one person will ask why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

eagle eye wrote: »
    It would be a good thing imo. For instance in the case of a troll/baiter he just gets a thumbs down instead of a response. Often times a troll/baiter can lead to others getting infracted/banned because they respond while annoyed and break a rule.
    But that's acknowledgement - best to ignore.

The thumbs down button would also be used for the purposes of being a dick.
    Theres plenty of thanking cliques in my opinion.
    I personally don't think that's as much of an issue as people think it is.
    denballs wrote: »
    one person says no and the rest of you jump on the bandwagon so you can feel part of somthing well......the first person was insurmountably incorrect and you all were wrong to follow him............if i cant have my nero thumb ill just start doing :mad::mad::mad:post above:mad::mad::mad: nd make it catch on like a sheep beside a bonfire...........mwahhahahahahahaha..........:rolleyes:
    Get over yourself? What you're saying is: people saw a post by denballs and decided to be "out to get him" - god forbid they just expressed, and backed up, the opinions they genuinely hold.

The thumbs down button would definitely lead to a lot of paranoia too and over-analysis and finding things that aren't there...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wait, what now? :D

Oh I get it, name dropping is the new thanks.:pac:

OP.
    Post gets thanks so poster is happy.

Post gets the thumbs down, thread is derailed by poster asking poster x y and z to explain why their post got the thumbs down and why they haven't posted a reply to explain themselves.

What is the fascination with the thanks button?

I use it to thank posts I like, even some I don't agree with, but I see their point.

Isn't the no thanks button there in a way? Just thank the person disagreeing with the opinion, if you feel that strongly about it or maybe, post the actual reason why you'd give it a thumbs down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eagle eye wrote: »

Problem is that they can just do it right back. Like an even more subtle form of bullying. You could just have full-blown feuds with acolytes getting involved.

I know that thanks can also be used in a sly way, but it;s not as easy or obvious.

stovelid wrote: »
    Problem is that they can just do it right back. Like an even more subtle form of bullying. You could just have full-blown feuds with acolytes getting involved.

I know that thanks can also be used in a sly way, but it;s not as easy or obvious.

no thanks war sounds fun...........hmm.......good idea man

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    But that's acknowledgement - best to ignore.

The thumbs down button would also be used for the purposes of being a dick.

I personally don't think that's as much of an issue as people think it is.

Get over yourself? What you're saying is: people saw a post by denballs and decided to be "out to get him" - god forbid they just expressed, and backed up, the opinions they genuinely hold.

The thumbs down button would definitely lead to a lot of paranoia too and over-analysis and finding things that aren't there...

i would usually just reply with somthing angry and extremly hurtful while holding back any obvious intent to offend so that the mods dont feel like interfeering but i am still so astonished at the level of no scratch that.......intensity of overwhelming annoyance i feel when reading what you write........if ever i thought i had just read an attempt at annoying literature written by Joseph Gobbels its now........astonishingly abismal........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement