Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go Go Gadgets or Raw Simplicity?

• 09-07-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

So, which do you guys prefer?
    I've little experience as i've only ridden 2 bikes, a yamaha ybr125 and a fzs600 '99, both don't have any gadgets or trinkets, just an engine, wheels and a couple of brakes.

So which do you like and why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Raw simplicity every time.

Anyone can look like Rossi with enough gadgets, take the gadgets away though and watch them bin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Xios wrote: »
    just an engine, wheels and a couple of brakes.

I prefer this type of bike myself. A lot more fun to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if it makes the power more usable in the everyday environment, I find it hard to be against it tbh

reckon too as bikes keep getting more and more (ridiculously) powerfull, the need for the technology to controllably transfer it to the road has to increase too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The only gadget I'd like is ABS. All the rest you can do yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only gadget I'd like is ABS. All the rest you can do yourself.

I have it on my current bike and I really can't see the point. If you know how to brake properly then you shouldn't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Surely a bike with electronic fuel injection, power commander, electronic ignition, heated grips is better?
    If you want to be romantic about it, go back to to kick starting your bike which doesn't run right in the rain cos it effects the carbs and your hands are so cold you can't feel them.
    Technology is our friend! Are disc brakes ok or are they for fancy pants guys on their jap-crap?
    I think ABS will be standard on all bikes in a few years, followed by traction control.
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I have it on my current bike and I really can't see the point. If you know how to brake properly then you shouldn't need it.

I can see what you mean on a track, but on a normal road that makes no sense!
    Unless you have the reactions of a housefly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KTRIC wrote: »

I know how to brake properly. It's for the oh sh!t moments that it would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

What exactly do people consider "gadgets" these days? Traction control systems and electronically adjustable suspension, adjustable modes for poor quality fuel kind of stuff?

I'd like switchable ABS for those wet / icey days - I'd settle for dual disc brakes on the front and disc instead of drum on the back though. Heated grips would be nice in the colder months. Other than that, I don't really need anything more.

I'd still love to try out the latest BMW GS with all the farkles, or a Multistrada with every available option though. Down side is if you're touring in out of the way regions and something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere, there's a high likelihood of needing an official dealer to deal with it, rather than being able to weld and hammer things back together in the next village down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Gadgets:

I want an interactive dash display.
    I want a SatNav dispaly on my dash, and I want to be able to change to it by the flick of a button.
    I want all sorts of other information available on the dash - so, different displays that I can change between.

I want at least two USB ports - one on each side of the dash.
    One for my cuppachino maker :D, one for my heated jacket, one for my heated gloves, one to charge my phone.

I think heated grips and heated seats are a must.

I like the idea of adjustable suspension, but have never ridden a bike with it. Having said that - I am sure that I would enjoy it.

Go Faster Stuff:

I want at least 150 BHP - 200 would be better.
    I want ABS and combined brakes.
    I would like traction control, but have never ridden a bike with it, so not sure how it affects the ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.C. wrote: »
    Gadgets:

I want an interactive dash display.
    I want a SatNav dispaly on my dash, and I want to be able to change to it by the flick of a button.
    I want all sorts of other information available on the dash - so, different displays that I can change between.

I want at least two USB ports - one on each side of the dash.
    One for my cuppachino maker :D, one for my heated jacket, one for my heated gloves, one to charge my phone.

I think heated grips and heated seats are a must.

I like the idea of adjustable suspension, but have never ridden a bike with it. Having said that - I am sure that I would enjoy it.

Go Faster Stuff:

I want at least 150 BHP - 200 would be better.
    I want ABS and combined brakes.
    I would like traction control, but have never ridden a bike with it, so not sure how it affects the ride.

Don't forget about your tampon dispenser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement