Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANOTHER artist reccomendation request!

Options
  • 09-07-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

I know, I know, a million of these get posted, but this will be my 1st tattoo, and it's an important kind of one so I don't want to risk it not being right.

Basically I want to get the word 'lemons' in specific handwriting (I have the exact sample) on my inner wrist, preferably in white ink. Now, I've been looking at various portfolios, specifically in InkWell in Dublin cc and Red Dragon in Clondalkin. My concern is that while some of the script stuff is AMAZING, i need someone who is good freehand, because I want this in a very specific script- my mothers handwriting.

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone that might fit the bill? Preferably in Dublin but I'm willing to travel to get this done 100% right.

Thanks a million guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

zoegh wrote: »
    I know, I know, a million of these get posted, but this will be my 1st tattoo, and it's an important kind of one so I don't want to risk it not being right.

Basically I want to get the word 'lemons' in specific handwriting (I have the exact sample) on my inner wrist, preferably in white ink. Now, I've been looking at various portfolios, specifically in InkWell in Dublin cc and Red Dragon in Clondalkin. My concern is that while some of the script stuff is AMAZING, i need someone who is good freehand, because I want this in a very specific script- my mothers handwriting.

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone that might fit the bill? Preferably in Dublin but I'm willing to travel to get this done 100% right.

Thanks a million guys. :)

run a mile from anyone who is going to freehand someones signature for a start - you want a stencil made directly from the original for that.

Any half decent artist can do what you are asking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok, good to know. See, I've been asking people who have tattoos about this and someone said i needed someone good at freehand. Does anyone know if i need anyone specific for the white ink bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tommywiseau

haha, why do people always think freehand>stencil. freehanding on designs is usually done for bigger pieces to work with the contours of the body i.e. big tribal etc. where stenciling on a sheet of the design won't work.
    you're looking for somone to trace the example of handwriting-make an exact stencil of said trace-tattoo on.easy. as for getting it in white..it can turn yellow/cream over time. i only use it as a highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Midnight10

Hi,

I had script done on my wrist by the owner of Red Dragon (in his second shop in virginia) a month ago and I would steer clear if I were you.

My tat looks like a child drew it, the lines are wobbly, the consistency and it has bits were he went too heavy and it looks fuzzy, its a total mess.. I now have to find a good artist to do a cover up as I am totally ashamed of it. I got it for a very personnal reasons and feel really sad that it didn't work out..

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHO YOU GO TO....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Midnight10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I had script done on my wrist by the owner of Red Dragon (in his second shop in virginia) a month ago and I would steer clear if I were you.

My tat looks like a child drew it, the lines are wobbly, the consistency and it has bits were he went too heavy and it looks fuzzy, its a total mess.. I now have to find a good artist to do a cover up as I am totally ashamed of it. I got it for a very personnal reasons and feel really sad that it didn't work out..

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHO YOU GO TO....

I'd just like to say that "RED DRAGON CLONDALKIN" is not owned nor has any connection with the shop in Cavan. It was once owned by the same person but not any longer. I am actually proud of the fact that he no longer owns this studio. Please refrain from making defamatory comments before checking your facts.

• Advertisement

it's not my fault if they Guy said he owned the shop in Clondalkin and on the facebook page you had both addresses listed up until recently so don't come down on me for that!

If I told you I owned "Miami Ink" would you believe me. We haven't had his address listed for over 2 months. His pictures are gone off our page too. We have our own page, our own web site and our proud of our autonomy. He operates under the name Red Dragon Tattoo'Z. Surely the fact that he can't spell should have been a bit of a give away. I apologise if you felt I was coming down hard, but when you work so hard to disassociate yourself from bad work, having somebody take your reputation on a public forum is hard to take. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to build a good reputation for our studio, so like any proud parent I am a little protective. To the point where I have actually admitted on the forum for the first time just where I'm based. (moderators, we can deal with this however you see fit).
    What I will offer to do for you though is, if you'd like, you can come into us here and I will get the artist of your choice to redo/ repair the mess that was made, free of charge.

Look Pierced Off, I never mentioned Clondalkin once in this. The Guy told me he owned both shops and even told me to check out the facebook page which I did but anyway this is beside the point.

I'm sorry and I do understand if you are upset but this was nothing to do with your work at all.

The fact of the matter is that I am left with a crappy tattoo and I thought that going to a guy who had 2 shops and what looked like good work on the facebook page was a safe bet..

You do not have to repair bad workmanship for him.

PS: I recognise that you have nothing to do with him anymore, it's a pity that he still used a very similar studio name..

I think you'll find he still uses our name and tries to associate himself with us because we have some very good artists and he wants to trade off our good reputation. Unfortunately, he had registered the name and apart from a clause not allowing him to use the name inside Dublin there was little I could do. I didn't feel like changing the name of the studio here as it had been operating for at least a year and was starting to get known. I know we don't have to repair his work and believe me, part of the conditions of me buying the business was that I wouldn't take any responsibility for any work that took place here prior to me buying it, thats how little confidence I have in his ability to tattoo, but I would like to repair it. If only as a token of good faith and to show that there are some decent people able to do some decent work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

There's no issue with you naming your studio, or defending it as you are participating and engaging with the community here. Any questions, queries or worries just shout :)

• Advertisement

Will wrote: »
    There's no issue with you naming your studio, or defending it as you are participating and engaging with the community here. Any questions, queries or worries just shout :)

Thanks Will. As you are aware I've always been very careful not to overstep the boundaries and have always made sure that any advice/ comments have not named or promoted anybody. On this occasion, however I felt I had to answer as I'm sure you can appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yup it's easy to see.

pierced off i wish you all the best with the business, im sure you will be very successful. thank you for your very kind offer to repair my tat but you shouldn't have to fix someone elses work.
    im sorry for any inconvenience caused to you and again wish you all the best.

Thanks for your kind words. I hope, if it's not ourselves, whoever you do get to fix up your tat, does a job you're proud of. It only goes to show, yet again, that this business is full of chancers and cheats, who's only interest is making money, regardless of who they hurt and what messes they make along the way.

Hey Pierced Off, are you free sometime next week to have a look at my tat? I would really value your opinion on what I should do with it...

Anytime you want to drop by the studio you'll be more than welcome. We'll even lay on coffee and biscuits.

cheers, will drop in next week so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Anytime you want to drop by the studio you'll be more than welcome. We'll even lay on coffee and biscuits.

if thats the case, i dont want you to look at my tattoos but i wouldnt mind a free coffee ;)

pajodublin wrote: »
    if thats the case, i dont want you to look at my tattoos but i wouldnt mind a free coffee ;)

You're more than welcome to drop in. We're a friendly bunch here. Can't guarantee the coffee will be ready but there's always chocolate in the fridge.

Advertisement