Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World Cup Golden Ball nominations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Iniesta was class the other night but he's had a few poor games.

Shouldn't be on that list.

He was injured for a large chunk of the season and is just back from injury. Iniesta is only getting match-fit but you can see the improvement in every game - I might back him to be man of the match on Sunday (7-1) but I agree he shouldn't get the Golden Ball based on 1 or 2 performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Xavi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im torn between Forlan, Schweinsteiger and Villa but schweiny gets the nod :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Vokes wrote: »
    It'll be Sneijder or David Villa. The one who wins the final on Sunday will get it.

Do you think?

imo, it may go to Gyan to 'right a wrong'. though he was really really important for Ghana with Essien's absense.

I voted for Forlán myself, coz I think of all the players I've seen this tournament he has been the most talismanic.
    Sure, there are better players on the list, alot of players who impressed more goalswise.
    I think alot of them also are playing in very strong teams. I don't think any of them got behind their team as much and really gave that extra 10%.
    Amazing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

SlickRic wrote: »
    Villa, Sneijder or Xavi.

IMO anyone else will make a mockery of it completely.

Don't be stupid. Bastian has played better than 2 of them Villa being the one he probably has been level with. Sneijder has been flattered by the goals he has scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Don't be stupid. Bastian has played better than 2 of them Villa being the one he probably has been level with. Sneijder has been flattered by the goals he has scored.

I think him being at fault for Uruguays first goal might cost him a chance of winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So Mueller has the young player award in the bag.

Didnt make sense putting some chap who was only one goal off being tournament top scorer in that award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm basing this on overall, single player to influence their team the most in the tournament.

On that basis, unfortunately the two I'd chose won't be playing in the final.

If its not Forlán or Schweinsteiger, I'll be seriously disappointed.

If Villa scores, he's out of contention IMO, as he'll get Golden Boot.

Xavi and Iniesta, if they combined and were the one person, fair enough :p Between them, and playing together they are excellent, but I don't think individually they should be on that list.

As much as I like Forlán, I'll have to go with Schweinsteiger. He's been excellent throughout, and played every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Both awards have been won the by the same player in the past and I honestly think that David Villa has been the best player in the tournament. If he gets the Golden Boot thats a bonus but I think he should get the Golden Ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

eagle eye wrote: »
    David Villa has been the best player in the tournament. If he gets the Golden Boot thats a bonus but I think he should get the Golden Ball.

I'd surmise that some of the voters so far may have thought thats what was being voted on here.:rolleyes:
    Seeing as him and Sneijder are running away with it.
    just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Villa or Sneijder deserve it. Whoever wins tomorrow's match merits the accolade.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Villa or Sneijder deserve it. Whoever wins tomorrow's match merits the accolade.

Even if, say, he gets sent off? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just nipping in to vote for Forlan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Surprised and delighted they actually gave it to him.

Well played Diego, up there with his double at Anfield as the crowning moment of his career.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

forlan got golden ball???? big shock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Delighted, congratulations Diego. A likable guy and always presents himself as a model pro; and world class to boot. It's the shame that the width of a crossbar denied him winning the golden boot outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Delighted, congratulations Diego. A likable guy and always presents himself as a model pro; and world class to boot. It's the shame that the width of a crossbar denied him winning the golden boot outright.

A f*cking shame for my bank balance as well.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Diegooooo woooah.

Delighted for him, he was immense.

Fantastic player with a fantastic attitude.

Real pity that crossbar got between him and the Golden boot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea, deserved winner-Villa not playing too well against Germany and Holland didn't help his cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well done d-i-e-g-o.

deserved, and Al's right, Villa's lack of performance in the last two games didn't help him at all; or else I'm sure he would have walked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

flahavaj wrote: »
    Surprised and delighted they actually gave it to him.

Well played Diego, up there with his double at Anfield as the crowning moment of his career.:pac:

he only scored one when atleti beat us in april! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cant believe forlan got it. he has to be the luckiest footballer alive. i would have put him towards the bottom of that short list to be honest.

cant believe forlan got it. he has to be the luckiest footballer alive. i would have put him towards the bottom of that short list to be honest.

Have you not seen the man play in the world cup?

Fair enough, there were a few decent candidates alright, but to say he wouldn't have deserved it is ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Have you not seen the man play in the world cup?

Fair enough, there were a few decent candidates alright, but to say he wouldn't have deserved it is ignorant.

i think other people deserved it more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Paul the octopus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Doubt anyone has any valid arguments not giving it to Forlan. He really is a class player with no histrionics attached. What a player he has turned into since being laughed at at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Warper wrote: »
    Doubt anyone has any valid arguments not giving it to Forlan. He really is a class player with no histrionics attached.

yes he got my vote, a good pro > honest, full of enthusiasm gives his all in every game, superb ball control

and lovely flowing blonde locks that catches the eye;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i think other people deserved it more than him.

Like Patrice Evra ;)

Advertisement