Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best VOIP handset solution with only wireless boradband available to me?

• 09-07-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For reasons I won't bore you with I have access to a half decent wireless broadband and would like to install a VOIP solution which will allow 2 or 3 handsets to share two "01" numbers. I don't have access to wired broadband so does that rule out the likes of Blueface and similar?

At the moment I am paying a small fortune for an Eircom landline (not the source of my wireless broadband) and have very low traffic volume.

Would really appreciate some suggestions. I have a dedicated laptop which can act as a permanent base if that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

VOIP depends on low jitter, low packet loss and a minimum symetrical speed of 100kbps.

You can use a quad DECT base on an ISDN line and have 4 phones sharing up to 12 numbers.

It's possible that Digiweb/Smart, UPC or Magnet can configure their "in network" superior to Blueface VOIP based phone solutions to do what you want. Blueface can't ensure QOS for VOIP the way an ISP does on internal network.

Blueface will work on any real broadband (DSL, Cable, Fibre or Fixed Wireless) provided the Internet connection is good enough. "A" on this test:
    http://www.pingtest.net/

My results on Digiweb Metro Fixed Wireless
    20104240.png

My upload & Download are good enough
    874005033.png

Advertisement