Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not broadband, it's Magnet.

• 09-07-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any Magnet customers out there? How's your service at the moment?
    I've had no Magnet Broadband for a day and a half!
    I've phoned them twice and they say they're working on the problem.

I wonder if this is enough grounds to leave my contract early and return to Eircom?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Gautama wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if this is enough grounds to leave my contract early and return to Eircom?

Thanks.

Do you know the nature of the issue? Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Do you know the nature of the issue? Where are you living?

Living in Ballinteer.
    I've been told the same thing twice, that there's maintenance being performed and the entire Dublin area is being affected to different degrees.

That it's coming back region by region, and to reset my router every few hours to see if my region is active again.

Having experience the outage from 17:30 to 21:00 on Wednesday, I phoned at 21:00 to be told it would be back by 09:00 on Thursday morning.

Then phoned again at 18:30 on Thursday to be informed of the rolling re-activation and that it'd be back by this morning.

It was not back at 07:00 this morning.

Living in Ballinteer.
    I've been told the same thing twice, that there's maintenance being performed and the entire Dublin area is being affected to different degrees.

That it's coming back region by region, and to reset my router every few hours to see if my region is active again.

Having experience the outage from 17:30 to 21:00 on Wednesday, I phoned at 21:00 to be told it would be back by 09:00 on Thursday morning.

Then phoned again at 18:30 on Thursday to be informed of the rolling re-activation and that it'd be back by this morning.

It was not back at 07:00 this morning.

Can you PM me on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Switched over to Magnet 24Mb a few weeks ago. No indication of a loss of service in Dublin 1.

Only real problem with the service has been intermittent dropping of audio in phone connections - not a line drop - just goes silent for short periods. It's not a constant though - just the odd time, so I'm hoping it's just been a passing glitch.

alastair wrote: »
    Switched over to Magnet 24Mb a few weeks ago. No indication of a loss of service in Dublin 1.

Only real problem with the service has been intermittent dropping of audio in phone connections - not a line drop - just goes silent for short periods. It's not a constant though - just the odd time, so I'm hoping it's just been a passing glitch.

Do you need me to escalate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Do you need me to escalate.

As I say Rory - it's intermittent, and I doubt I can reproduce it on cue, so I'll leave it a bit longer to see if it goes away of it's own accord.

alastair wrote: »
    As I say Rory - it's intermittent, and I doubt I can reproduce it on cue, so I'll leave it a bit longer to see if it goes away of it's own accord.

Ok, well you know where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ssa2010

Hi,

Thanks.

This is my story here ====>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055960715

ssa2010 wrote: »

We are currently looking into this. Please be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ssa2010

We are currently looking into this. Please be patient.

Yeah I read you the first 5 times. Have been waiting for the phone call forever. As I said. I am done with you guys, but that should not stop me from posting my story and the joke that your customer support service is.

• Advertisement

So I'm not alone then! It's another example of "you pay for quality". I wish I'd stayed with Eircom. I've a bunch of stuff to do on the net and as it's pishing rain this weekend so I'd planned on getting it done. What to do? Go back into the office? iPhone is only useful for small bits.
    48 hours. Does this count as a breach of contract?
    Consumers Association here I come... by snail mail :(

ssa2010 wrote: »
    Yeah I read you the first 5 times. Have been waiting for the phone call forever. As I said. I am done with you guys, but that should not stop me from posting my story and the joke that your customer support service is.

We have tried to call you twice now to give you the information. I have also PM'd you my number to help. We have the information to help you.

We have absolutly no way of stopping you from posting however, we would ask you to accept our help.

Can you help me?

Can you help me?

Yes, if you would just give me your details we can help you.

Just phoned Magnet again. Guess what? They're blaming Eircom. Classic Celtic Tiger Contract Conundrum: Magnet blame Eircom. Contact Eircom and they'll blame Magnet.

In general I avoid sub-contracts for this very reason. At least if I was still with Eircom I could deal with them and they couldn't fob me off with this crap. Instead I'm with the angels of Magnet.

As the subject says...

Just phoned Magnet again. Guess what? They're blaming Eircom. Classic Celtic Tiger Contract Conundrum: Magnet blame Eircom. Contact Eircom and they'll blame Magnet.

In general I avoid sub-contracts for this very reason. At least if I was still with Eircom I could deal with them and they couldn't fob me off with this crap. Instead I'm with the angels of Magnet.

As the subject says...

Why are you avoiding my help, please give me your details and I will be able to look into your circumstances with more detail.

I have sent you two PMs

Make that 4.
    In the last three months the connection has dropped a number of times, usually for only a couple of minutes, sometimes for a half hour. But 48 hours is intolerable.
    Either on this site or www.askaboutmoney.com somebody posted of something similar.
    Magnet really aren't worth the headache!
    I've put off a langerload of internetting because of the good weather. Now it's pishing outside and I've no access!
    Murphy's Law? Magnet's Law!
    Are their fibre optics made of paper or what?

Is it "safe" to post my Magnet account number here? PMs are not fixing the problem or re-imbursing my money!
    At least I can see the info here on iPhone.

Is it "safe" to post my Magnet account number here? PMs are not fixing the problem or re-imbursing my money!
    At least I can see the info here on iPhone.

We have just got your account and contact number now. Expect a call now. The issue is not resolved yet but you will get a call to explain the circumstances.

Please bear with us on this.

• Advertisement

Make that 4.
    In the last three months the connection has dropped a number of times, usually for only a couple of minutes, sometimes for a half hour. But 48 hours is intolerable.
    Either on this site or www.askaboutmoney.com somebody posted of something similar.
    Magnet really aren't worth the headache!
    I've put off a langerload of internetting because of the good weather. Now it's pishing outside and I've no access!
    Murphy's Law? Magnet's Law!
    Are their fibre optics made of paper or what?

I understand your frustration here but it really is not a fair representation of our services. If you know of any other customers who are experiencing this problem please forward me on the link.

Just had a call from Magnet. Better than nothing.
    I'm assuming that the reason Magnet is half price is that they have only half the equipment? i.e. no Disaster Recovery facility.

Just had a call from Magnet. Better than nothing.
    I'm assuming that the reason Magnet is half price is that they have only half the equipment? i.e. no Disaster Recovery facility.

We really do understand your frustration but you have to understand that we are aware of this problem and we are working on the issue. It genuinely does not fairly represent the services we provide.

I hope you can understand and appreciate that we are doing everything in our power to help and again if you have the details of other people affected you can PM me the link and again I will do everything possible to keep everyone informed.

There are not a lot of customers affected but I understand that for the small number offline this is a big inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Online all day no issues to report from where I am. No help to op but still just pointing it out. Tv froze for a moment earlier but that's it.

Still no service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks for sharing this op. I was considering getting in magnet but I rely on bb for my work. Outages of the duration you describe could cost me my job. Shame as their service seemed the best out there. :(

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this op. I was considering getting in magnet but I rely on bb for my work. Outages of the duration you describe could cost me my job. Shame as their service seemed the best out there. :(

This is something I was thinking about since and even said it to one less than helpful phone service guys. Could you imagine if I was a business experiencing this? The loss of revenue could be enough to put one out of business. The stress alone would be so detrimental.
    The timing here is key. For me it's pissing rain outside and I'd planned on various activities. What if I was a student studying? Or researching a thesis? Or a lovebird Internet romancing? Everybody has their one story and critical times, be it business or personal.
    Still no service.
    Gonna do some ironing.

75 hours. Still no Magnet Broadband. I'm told that it's affecting BitStream customers only. Well that's a consolation. Me hole!

Still no service. Ah, at least it's sunny outside.

• Advertisement

Half time in the Munster Hurling Final... still no service. Must be nearly four days now, I'm beginning to lose count.

Advertisement