Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not broadband, it's Magnet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I've been off-line since Friday last week, and Magnet either tell me it's an Eircom/ line issue and sould be resolved 'in a few days time' or that it's fixed and i just need to re-boot the router.

The DSL link light is on, but the internet connection light on my router stays red.
    I've even gone as far as buying a new router to troubleshoot the connection, but get exactly the same problem on the new router.

So, OP, you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

I've been off-line since Friday last week, and Magnet either tell me it's an Eircom/ line issue and sould be resolved 'in a few days time' or that it's fixed and i just need to re-boot the router.

The DSL link light is on, but the internet connection light on my router stays red.
    I've even gone as far as buying a new router to troubleshoot the connection, but get exactly the same problem on the new router.

So, OP, you're not alone.

For my own sake, I'm glad I'm not alone.
    For your sake (and any others), I'm sorry.

Mine was still out this morning. Can't wait to get home to see if the red light has changed to green... 'tis like the night before Christmas!

Santa didn't come!

We really do understand your frustration but you have to understand that we are aware of this problem and we are working on the issue. It genuinely does not fairly represent the services we provide.

I hope you can understand and appreciate that we are doing everything in our power to help and again if you have the details of other people affected you can PM me the link and again I will do everything possible to keep everyone informed.

There are not a lot of customers affected but I understand that for the small number offline this is a big inconvenience.

Rory, any chance of an update? You seemed to be gagging to respond last week but has it fallen off your radar? It hasn't fallen off mine.

Not looking for a phonecall blah blah blah, just a quick post here will do. It's been nearly a week.

Also, is it possible for you to attach a contract so that I can see if this lack of service counts as a breach of contract. I want out. I want Eircom. If not, can you pass on a direct phone number for sales. Your phone rep advised that as the method for discussing contracts.

Thanks.

+1

Any info would be helpful, spent about 40 minutes on hold over three calls to Magnet yesterday, eventually hanging up on all three without getting through to a human.

On hold again now.....

• Advertisement

+1

Any info would be helpful, spent about 40 minutes on hold over three calls to Magnet yesterday, eventually hanging up on all three without getting through to a human.

On hold again now.....

I'd no problems getting thru' last week but haven't tried since. They're probably being flooded with customers calling. Bet their phone network will go down next!
    Time to order a carrier pigeon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Send them an official complaint & state that you feel it's a breech of contract
    Describe situation and explain that you have sent letter by recorded delivery.

Bring to local post office and register.

Also contact comreg & log a case and get a case number ( do this first & quote case I'D in letter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deliber

Gautama wrote: »
    Hi,

Any Magnet customers out there? How's your service at the moment?
    I've had no Magnet Broadband for a day and a half!
    I've phoned them twice and they say they're working on the problem.

I wonder if this is enough grounds to leave my contract early and return to Eircom?

Thanks.[/QU

Big no to Magnet:

Trying to cancel my Maganet Broadband because of useless service
    Hey guys! i need your advice

I signed up with magnet in feb 2010 for broadband and phone, from the first day i started to have problems, i though may be it a new connection and it will be ok but no i was wrong.

I have to restart the router about 5 times a day and also wireless connection was keep dropping, i rang them so many times, it went on for about three months and i dint get any fix, they told me to get my own router and it may fix the problem, but it didn't.

i couldn't go on for long and i rang them to cancel my contract after 3 months, now they are telling me that i have to pay a cancellation fee. i told them i am not going to pay anything as i am canceling my contract only because you could not provide me the service i signed for.

Is it possible to cancel a contract and not pay the cancellation fee or whatever that is based on the fact that you're not getting the service you're paying for? i did give them about 3 months to fix the problem but they didnt.

Thank you in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deliber

+1

On hold again now.....

I signed up with magnet in feb 2010 for broadband and phone, from the first day i started to have problems, i though may be it a new connection and it will be ok but no i was wrong.

I have to restart the router about 5 times a day and also wireless connection was keep dropping, i rang them so many times, it went on for about three months and i dint get any fix, they told me to get my own router and it may fix the problem, but it didn't.

i couldn't go on for long and i rang them to cancel my contract after 3 months, now they are telling me that i have to pay a cancellation fee. i told them i am not going to pay anything as i am canceling my contract only because you could not provide me the service i signed for.

Is it possible to cancel a contract and not pay the cancellation fee or whatever that is based on the fact that you're not getting the service you're paying for? i did give them about 3 months to fix the problem but they didnt.

Thank you in advance

I've mailed the Consumers' Association and ComReg. Got an OOO back from the latter:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shmoo

Hi,

my Internet stopped working yesterday. Because my phone line was broken and repaired recently, I assumed that it broke again, but as it seems I'm not the only one who has lost his internet connection.

I'm in Dublin 6w, is anyone else in that area affected?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Shmoo wrote: »
    Hi,

my Internet stopped working yesterday. Because my phone line was broken and repaired recently, I assumed that it broke again, but as it seems I'm not the only one who has lost his internet connection.

I'm in Dublin 6w, is anyone else in that area affected?

The issue here is a bitstream outage. It looks like you are in an ADSL2+ area. Please PM me your details.

Work is still underway on the bitstream outage.

Deliber wrote: »

Thank you in advance

Can you PM me on this?

Paul Oktopus has predicted that Magnet Bitstream service will resume before the end of 2010.

The issue here is a bitstream outage. It looks like you are in an ADSL2+ area. Please PM me your details.

Work is still underway on the bitstream outage.

One week down, how long more do you reckon? Realistically now, not the old "tomorrow morning" that I got twice last week.

Long day, only just home. Still no Magnet Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I hope they dont bill u for the full month and tbh. if they were smart about it they would be offering 1-3 months free service for that inconvenience. Assuming u ever gave them a second chance and stayed with them. I'm sure there must be a cut off point where u can cancel ur contract. i know u have to give them a reasonable period to try fix the problem but that is getting to be a joke.

dont know if it interests u but im with smart and tbh since the initial issues with the change in ownership and that i havent had any problems at all. in saying that i will be changing to UPC when it becomes avail purely for speed reasons.

I'm going straight back to Eircom!

Finally it's back. Time to get a few bits done for fear it drops again.
    1 week! Have we returned to the days of P&T?!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

Bitstream is Eircom repackaged , so magnet cant fix it they have to wait for Eircom :)

• Advertisement

Not perfect though, it's dropping here and there for up to a minute.

coadyd wrote: »
    Bitstream is Eircom repackaged , so magnet cant fix it they have to wait for Eircom :)

So they've been saying, but I'd prefer to deal just with Eircom directly. At least that way they can't fob me off the way Magnet Broadband have been doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

coadyd wrote: »

Does it matter? Magnet is the retailer, if they can't 'control' Eircom then maybe they shouldnt bother.

Bitstream has always been a loss maker anyways .....

Over the last number of days some of our customers have experienced a Broadband outage. We would like to offer our apologies for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused and explain how we did everything within our power to remedy the situation.

The outage stemmed from specific technical problems on the Eircom network- a network every operator relies on to deliver some of its services. Unfortunately these issues are outside of even Magnet’s control to remedy. Once we became aware of the issues, we escalated them to Senior Management within Eircom. We also expressed, both on behalf of Magnet and you our customer, our complete dissatisfaction with the way in which the outage was handled- both technically and from a customer care perspective.

Magnet engineers and managers have been working closely with Eircom over the past number of days to restore services. While we are satisfied that services have subsequently been restored we are continuing to exert pressure on Eircom to establish the cause of this problem to mitigate against any future outages of this nature.

In the meantime if you are still experiencing issues please call us directly on 1890 809 000 and we will work with you to resolve your issue.

Regards,

Magnet Customer Service Team

Back online last night - thanks for your help Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Rory - why not call that out on the first request for help?

Right now - I am reading what you are saying - it makes sense - but my faith in your company has been shaken by the lack of constructive or informative responses that the OP here was getting.

I will have to think long and hard about switching. The thread above turned me off - but your company do offer a good package compared to the shared service from Eircom. Well that and I left Eircom over their poor customer service - am I seeing the same here?

Taltos wrote: »
    Rory - why not call that out on the first request for help?

Right now - I am reading what you are saying - it makes sense - but my faith in your company has been shaken by the lack of constructive or informative responses that the OP here was getting.

I will have to think long and hard about switching. The thread above turned me off - but your company do offer a good package compared to the shared service from Eircom. Well that and I left Eircom over their poor customer service - am I seeing the same here?

While I understand the frustration on this issue (the op was down for longer than is acceptable) it must be noted that we did as much as we possibly could to restore the service.

I also understand threads like this give readers a poor reflection of Magnet as a company. In saying this it must be noted that only a small number of customers were affected and we did pass on all updates (either via our customer support line or via this thread).

In short we did everything humanly possible to rectify the issue but unfortunately some issues are beyond our control. Issues like this do not represent our feelings towards our customers and I am confident other boards.ie members will testify to that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Always been very pleased with Magnet, I have been with them for over three years now.
    Primary reason stay with them is due to their support; the odd time I have had an issue, support has been excellent.

This has definitely been the longest degrade is service I've seen from them, and I agree it would have been nice for some more regular updates (on this thread, or their site), or at least a clearer description of the problem.

I wouldn't consider changing provider, and would use them again in a heartbeat for any new connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Gautama wrote: »
    Could you imagine if I was a business experiencing this? The loss of revenue could be enough to put one out of business. The stress alone would be so detrimental.

To be honest, you deserve to be put out of business if you only have one connection. Anybody who wants to run a business at home and needs internet access as a matter of priority should use a redundant connection (i.e. 2 types of connection or more)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

To be honest, you deserve to be put out of business if you only have one connection. Anybody who wants to run a business at home and needs internet access as a matter of priority should use a redundant connection (i.e. 2 types of connection or more)

+1.

We have hsdpa modems as a backup.

Advertisement