Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Track and Field Championships 2010

• 09-07-2010 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised that there aint more discussion on this being the eve of the competition.

Some exciting prospective races one the cards.

400m should be a great race despite Gillick opting for the 100m there will be close competition with Gregan seeming to have stalled a little in terms of performances opening it up a bit more to Kennedy and Murphy who have been in good form of late

The 5k also should be a great show with O Neill and Sweeney recently running sub 8 for 3k along with Christie if he runs and Connolly who is running on Sat night in Heusden however he will come into the equation if it becomes a tactical affair

100 should be a good one with Smyth's form this year may put it up to Hession who is coming off a great 200m in Lausanne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I think one issue with getting excited about Nationals these days is that guessing who will run what event is such a lottery!! My other main issue is that I'm not in the country to attend thus missing my first one in 9 years I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Best weekend of the year in Irish athletics.

I am looking forward to the following as these will be the most competitive and have the most quality.

Mens 100 - will Hession race against Smyth and who will win?
    Womens 100 - this will be the race that means most (along with Mens 400) as relay slots on offer. Will Foster come out on top, McSweeney, Proper, Whelan, Brady. Will be the race of the weekend if they are all running.
    Mens 400 - two spots on offer. Grego has the time, Kennedy and Murphy are close. If they all run the time on Sunday, it could be the first 2 who go with Gillick.
    Womens 400H - the only race that will have 3 Euro qualified athletes. Kinney, Carey, Furlong. Will be a belter. The experience of Carey may shine through.
    Mens 800/1500 - Will Chamney do 1500 and if so will Cragg be in that too. No Campbell so the head to head element is gone. Chamney should win whichever one he chooses.
    Womens 800 - Will Mageean race and if so will she beat Galligan?

Weather to be brutal on Saturday but pick up on Sunday. Will be a great weekend of the best part of athletics, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tingle wrote: »
    Best weekend of the year in Irish athletics.

I am looking forward to the following as these will be the most competitive and have the most quality.

Mens 100 - will Hession race against Smyth and who will win?
    Womens 100 - this will be the race that means most (along with Mens 400) as relay slots on offer. Will Foster come out on top, McSweeney, Proper, Whelan, Brady. Will be the race of the weekend if they are all running.
    Mens 400 - two spots on offer. Grego has the time, Kennedy and Murphy are close. If they all run the time on Sunday, it could be the first 2 who go with Gillick.
    Womens 400H - the only race that will have 3 Euro qualified athletes. Kinney, Carey, Furlong. Will be a belter. The experience of Carey may shine through.
    Mens 800/1500 - Will Chamney do 1500 and if so will Cragg be in that too. No Campbell so the head to head element is gone. Chamney should win whichever one he chooses.
    Womens 800 - Will Mageean race and if so will she beat Galligan?

Weather to be brutal on Saturday but pick up on Sunday. Will be a great weekend of the best part of athletics, can't wait.

Think Chamney has been talking bout doing the eight. Also Cragg down for the diamond league so he could be a no show depending on whether he has to run. Pity alot of people in Solihull and other meets kinda takes away from what could be some top quality races but still should be a great weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

I'm really looking forward to the weekend of athletics... esp the Men's 400, a hard one to call, the 10,000 which looks like it could be a proper close battle this year, and the Men's 800 & 1500. Will also be checking out Ireland's newest pole vaulter (women)! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

National Junior Record for Kate Veale in the 5000m Walk to win her first National Senior title. Olive Loughnane had to pull out as an injury precaution.

Kelly Proper won the LJ with 6.35m.

http://twitter.com/irishathletics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr_Curious

Hi - if anyone has any results of heats or finals from Saturday's and Sunday's All Ireland T&F in Santry POST THEM HERE!

Any News of records being broken etc - Post them too

I cant make it to Dublin this year :( and cant find updates anywhere

Mr_Curious

The twitter link I posted above has updates.

Tori Pena breaks the Irish National Pole Vault record, with 4.15m. Great stuff, and a great start to the weekend of athletics.

Mr_Curious wrote: »
    Hi - if anyone has any results of heats or finals from Saturday's and Sunday's All Ireland T&F in Santry POST THEM HERE!

Any News of records being broken etc - Post them too

I cant make it to Dublin this year :( and cant find updates anywhere

Mr_Curious

@ the moderators - Thanks for moving my post - I'm so tick - forgot about twitter 'Doh!

I hear the conditions are pretty bad in Santry - Anybody been there today?

Niamh Whelan and Kelly Proper 200 m - you cant get closer than this - both times 23.68

Hesh with solid win in 20.77. S. Colvert 2nd 21.41 and D.Graham 3rd 21.58 the wind was -0.9 so a good run from him

• Advertisement

Mens 10,000m results: 1. Gary Thornton (29.18.88), 2. Brian Maher (30.03.50) and 3. Joe McAlister (30.07.69)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

Who won athlete of the meet?

Who won athlete of the meet?

Hession as far as i know??

ecoli wrote: »

If we're talking about that Hungarian tables, €1000 prize thing, then it was Rob Heffernan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

ecoli wrote: »

The Twitter updates said Rob Heffernan was in the lead for it. I haven't seen anything confirmed though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Giants Causeway

There were some great performances over the past two days - I have to say the highlight for me was Gordan Kennedy in the 400m. The Tullamore man was superb and showed great determination to hold off the efforts of Brian Gregan.

Chamney was also dominant ahead of a brave Darren McBrearty in the 800m.

There were a few disappointments though - only 4 in the mens high jump and 5 in the Womens 100m Hurdles.

It was also disappointing to see a young athlete being ushered off the track and denied his chance to race in the Junior 3000m. He entered correctly, his name was listed on the programme, he collected his number and turned up to the start but was told by a former international secretary of BLE that he could not run as he had not gone to the call room.
    Actually there was another competitor who also didn't go the the call room but he slipped into the pack and ran his race. In a minority sport that struggles to hold onto athletes from the age of 17 to 22, it is infuriating to see an athlete denied of his opportunity to compete by such a petty approach. Surely common sense could have prevailed - the junior athlete could have been advised of his error but allowed to compete. Some people just can't let go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭IrishTrackFan1

Agree I thought there were some great race today with Kennedy the highlight. Also, that there were three heats in the womens 400m was a great sign - I think Clare Mooney ran in the 55s and didn't qualify which is surely a first. And the Womens 100 was also excellent competition.
    I think the way our elite athletes treat the nationals tells a lot though about them and our high performance setup and the nonsense interview regarding taking a hard line on no shows by the Senior Team Manager only served to show how cynical some of the athletes are in the way they obey the letter of the law but not the spirit. No need to name names as it was obvious over the weekend who was there to pay their respects to the Senior Championships and the Irish fans and who was there to tick the box of requirements for Barcelona.
    Finally I heard a rumour that Kelly Proper might not get selected for Barcelona which would be shocking. She is not having a great season but was properly identified as a potential finalist in London and this Championship should be part of her learning curve for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

It was also disappointing to see a young athlete being ushered off the track and denied his chance to race in the Junior 3000m. He entered correctly, his name was listed on the programme, he collected his number and turned up to the start but was told by a former international secretary of BLE that he could not run as he had not gone to the call room.

Nice one by the AAI - how to get rid of athletes from the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Red Handed

ocnoc wrote: »

Another example would be letting Chamney away with pulling the shorts/singlet off some kid in the 800m heats, once again the AAI officals didnt "see" anything and yet the entire stand saw our national champion lower himself to cheating because he was panicing with 50m to go as he was boxed and had to win to make the final. A disgraceful act from him and even worse from the AAI officals who appeared to be more concerned about keeping dry rather than watching the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Red Handed wrote: »
    Another example would be letting Chamney away with pulling the shorts/singlet off some kid in the 800m heats, once again the AAI officals didnt "see" anything and yet the entire stand saw our national champion lower himself to cheating because he was panicing with 50m to go as he was boxed and had to win to make the final. A disgraceful act from him and even worse from the AAI officals who appeared to be more concerned about keeping dry rather than watching the races.

I agree 100%, Chamney should have been thrown out. AAi officials didnt see it apparently, how very convenient. One rule for one, one rule for another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

ocnoc wrote: »

If he has any sense he will take up a team sport. I would not want my kid getting into athletics. Thankless sport run by morons in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Finally I heard a rumour that Kelly Proper might not get selected for Barcelona which would be shocking. She is not having a great season but was properly identified as a potential finalist in London and this Championship should be part of her learning curve for that.

That has to be just a rumour. She has the standard, and has competed in the nationals so how can she not get picked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

I agree 100%, Chamney should have been thrown out. AAi officials didnt see it apparently, how very convenient. One rule for one, one rule for another.

where's chamney's foul?
    http://www.flotrack.org/videos/play/346607

if anything that guy in the yellow should have been disqualified for throwing chamney a harsh elbow and nearly knocking him over...

are we here to run or are we run to put our tootoos on and have a dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

theres a difference between pulling someone back and putting your elbows out!

Chamney is lucky not to be floored by your man in yellow. I don't care how fast a guy is, that's blatant cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've looked at the flotrack a couple of times now and it's still not clear to me if it was a stumble or a pull. I guess the bit that got hidden by the pillar might have made it clearer but until there is something clearer, no more talk about cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

I've had a look at it a few times as well and there is no way there was any infringment by Chamney. If anything, it's the guy in green who cuts to the inside which causes the bump between Chamney and guy in yellow. That's track racing.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

04072511 wrote: »
    That has to be just a rumour. She has the standard, and has competed in the nationals so how can she not get picked?

It is not just a rumour. Proper may well end up being named on the team, but her coach spent the weekend arguing with the relevant officials in trying to make her case. Their (the officials!) point of view was that she has not got current form. They made several attempts to get views from others (not directly working with the athlete) to back up this view and justify her exclusion. However, hopefully sense will prevail and she will be named in the team. She is commonly touted as a potential finalist at least for London (which I believe is a fair assessment) so how can there be any case for leaving her off the team for an event like Barcelona just because she has had a few competitions where she has not improved her PB? In fact she is an athlete who has steadily improved year on year and in fact could be argued to be one of the more consistent athletes at the level she is at! And that's without getting into the dynamic of field events vs track events in making finals at major championships. Perhaps this is an example where having a Performance Director who is a triathlon rather than an athletics man is a disadvantage in understanding selection issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

Red Handed wrote: »

it wasnt a kid who he pushed... the two lads he tried to push past are both u23 any way. But after seeing the way he tried to push between those guys with 50 yards to go in the heat... he should have be point blank DQ'd...or at least the guys he pushed should be allowed through to the final... all the fastest losers times were very very close... so the guys he pushed could have possibly made the fastest loser spots if they hadnt of been knocked off their stride....
    It was just a bad move by the champion, in my opinion. Disappointed to see it coming from a guy of his standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

I didn't see it live, but from the video I think it would have been harsh to disqualify Chamney. There was an accidental clash and did what he had to do to avoid hitting the deck. It's a difficult one ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Didn't see the Chamney thing. I was 8 seconds behind at that stage :)

The worst part of the event was the men's 10K. 3 Le Vale guys were told to do an extra lap when they and the crowd clearly knew they had completed the 25 laps. The officials were off having a chat. Apart from that it was enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement