Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my ash tree dead??

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have an ash tree in our back garden,
    It is over a year old and about 10 - 12 foot in height,
    Over the winter months, wild hairs have taken a liken to its bark and have scrapped and eating away a lot of the bark,
    I have now covered the bark with mesh but the tree now seems dead,
    The leaves are all gone brown and withered looking and the bark where damaged is a white/grey colour,
    Can I do anything for this tree?
    Have i left it too late?
    Apologies if i have been vague,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is probably dead. If you remove enough bark from a tree you will kill it, in fact it is one of the ways of killing a tree, to take a ring of bark right round the trunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Its likely to grow new shoots from below the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Thanks for those replies,
    The tree is actually about 7 years old but does look dead now,
    Is there anyway of building back up the bark again or could i cut it down to below where the bark is damaged and it might grow all over again?
    Is there any nutrition injection or something like that i could use?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Nope Its dead.. as mothman said if you cut it down at the damaged part it may sprout new growth.

plant another one. this time put a fence around it.

I lost 6 oak trees and numerous other shrubs including roses, to hares.

so now everything has a 600mm chicken wire fence around .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the branches bend with some elasticity or snap when you bend them? if they snap, it's dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement