Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howard Webb to Ref WC10 Final

• 09-07-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

80_webb_280x390_508055a.jpg

Howard Webb gets the big one .

I think its deserved , he has been pretty consistent and done pretty well at the CL Final .

I know a lot of fans think differently and think it as peacemeal to the English FA .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mixednuts wrote: »

I know a lot of fans think differently and think it as peacemeal to the English FA .

I was thinking the same when the news broke yesterday.

However i think he deserves it on his performances, i'll admit i havn't seen them all but from what i have seen him and his team were excellent.

Fair play to him, will be a massive occasion for him, he is certainly the type of figure that won't let it get to him though.

He is by far the best ref in the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

peacemeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its a good decision.

Would have been a disaster to hand it to some of the others who were very poor so far.

He's an experienced european ref who should be capable of handling this game and sending Van Bommel off when the time comes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Reminds me of that old joke..

What do you call an English man at the final of the World Cup?

The ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It'll suit the Dutch, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's a poor mans Collina.

pierluigi_collina.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

davyjose wrote: »
    It'll suit the Dutch, I reckon.

I'm not so sure. SSN showed some stats yesterday and in the 3 games he's done so far, he has an average of around 5.3 yellows per game. Mr Van Bommel will certainly not take kindly to this news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

bullpost wrote: »
    Its a good decision.

Would have been a disaster to hand it to some of the others who were very poor so far.

He's an experienced european ref who should be capable of handling this game and sending Van Bommel off when the time comes :)

LOL .

I posted similar earlier on in the day with my fears that the final will be ruined by a sending off ..Van Bommell .
    Surely Webb would have seen the past 2 Dutch games .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66830522&postcount=164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It just proves like it any other profession, you dont have to be the best or anywhere near it to reach the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Representatives in the World Cup final -

Manchester City - Nigel De Jong, David Silva

Liverpool - Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, Pepe Reina, Fernando Torres

Arsenal - Cesc Fabregas, Robin Van Persie

Manchester United - Howard Webb

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I thought Webb did really well in his earlier appearance. Definitley watched one match where he seemed to be on the ball constantly with regard to diving being lenient where it was deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

niallo27 wrote: »
    It just proves like it any other profession, you dont have to be the best or anywhere near it to reach the top

Meh. Who's better? The standard of refereeing is quite low, but Webb seems as competent as any other.

davyjose wrote: »
    Meh. Who's better? The standard of refereeing is quite low, but Webb seems as competent as any other.

I dont know i dont know my world refs, but there has to be someone better than this clown

Xavi6 wrote: »

Manchester United - Howard Webb

:pac:

LOL ..Forgot about that ....

howard_webb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Good choice but my conspiracy theory is that there will be an extra video ref in his and the lines mens ear piece ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

niallo27 wrote: »
    I dont know i dont know my world refs, but there has to be someone better than this clown

Great arguement there Bud.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty happy with that tbh. I think he's a good referee.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Good choice but my conspiracy theory is that there will be an extra video ref in his and the lines mens ear piece ;)

Like there wasnt for Zidane's headbutt sending off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I was expecting him to get the final. Definitely one of the better refs around at the minute. I'm glad it's a good ref in the final, I couldn't have handled any more of the shìte we've seen recently.

And I love all the United bias jokes btw; reminds me of some sweet victories :p

Honestly but has there ever been a WC final with so much emphasis on the refs performance ?

One thing I will (and many) remember this WC for is the disgraceful refereeing .

Pressure is for tyres Howard .:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

mixednuts wrote: »
    Like there wasnt for Zidane's headbutt sending off :rolleyes:

Thats how copped on to the idea

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Great arguement there Bud.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty happy with that tbh. I think he's a good referee.

Well if he the best out there, football is in a lot of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I remember one game Barcelona played Dynamo Kiev this season in the Champions League. and Webb was the referee. Messi got the **** kicked out of him, but horrendus foul after another and not one yellow card was given for any of the fouls on Messi until there were two minutes to go and Shevchenko went in two-footed with two minutes to go, almost breaking hs leg and sending Messi off the field injured; and still Shevchenko was only given yellow.

Advertisement