Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project idea for me....

• 09-07-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had an idea for a photo project to work on whilst I have the baby at home.. What do you think of this....?

Project - Take a song and its lyrics & produce photos to match with the lines of the song.

Aim - For a gallery exhibit (would this make a good exhibition that you might visit?)

Possible problems?
    1. Would I need permission to use the song in this way from the recording artist?
    2. Time scale? Hoping to take a year over this...is that reasonable whilst getting paid photo work as well...
    3. What paperwork would I need for the model, if any additional, apart from the model release/disclaimers?

Anything else I need to consider????

Thanks in advance again for your advice!!! :)

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you should do iron maiden's run to the hills as your first project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Good idea for a project.

Best suggestion i'd have on the music idea would be to befriend a local (Irish) artist through their management or personal contact, explain what you are trying to achieve and ascertain if they would like for their music to be promoted through the project at no cost to them. I'm thinking someone non mainstream like "Vyvienne Long" who has such wonderful and sometimes quirky lyrics such as "why do cats smile, when dragons breath fire". There can be rich language in song which may be suitable to an artistic installation representation of a piece of work or a set of works.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

i think you should do iron maiden's run to the hills as your first project.

Interesting...but maybe a little controversial looking at the words...?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I think it's a good idea, certainly not the first time it's been thought of or done but originality is a moot point these days i think, it's how you implement it that'll dictate whether it's a success or not. It's something I've also been thinking of including as part of other work, but i think it's kind of tricky not to let it become cheesy and a bit too hip or emo*.

I think maybe something to consider is going beyond a literal representation of the imagery within the songs. That's a bit too obvious. I'd be more interested in how you interpret the song beyond that, and put that into your images. Of course, if you're looking for the colaboration of the artists, they might not agree and it'll fall down. So I suppose the trick is to find someone whose view aligns with yours.

My own attempt at this would be this one:

2606514605_d6b9784273_z.jpg

And a line from a Tom McRae song - "Falling feels like flying, until you hit the ground" But I suspect I've done the literal interpretation thing here, too.

*No offence intended to emos. Or hipsters. Actually yes I'd like to offend hipsters, except for the fact that they made such a big deal about polaroid that i'm going to be able to buy film for my sx70 again. But now they can move on to the next big thing and stop making polaroid so hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

My 2c...

As you're in Athy, I'd try for a project that may be of interest to the local population, which will help it's appeal. Athy has huge musical connections, from Planxty to The Smiths, with (if memory serves me) Liam O'Flynn and Jack L as local residents.

The first song that came into my head, involving Athy, was "Lanigans Ball" (shows my age, and growing up not too far away from Athy!). I know it's an old song, but absolutely full of imagery, and due to it's age, I don't think it has any copyright requirements on it (I could be wrong!!!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i'd been mulling starting a thread about music videos made from stills; was going to use 'half mast' by the tycho brahe to illustrate, but it's not available on youtube; can be downloaded here though:
    http://www.minussubzero.com/video.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

elven wrote: »
    My own attempt at this would be this one:

2606514605_d6b9784273_z.jpg

And a line from a Tom McRae song - "Falling feels like flying, until you hit the ground" But I suspect I've done the literal interpretation thing here, too.

And there was I thinking you were doing Ronan Keating! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

*groan*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

if you are looking for free music from amiable irish acts I could hook you up. A sample http://jameseliottaylor.bandcamp.com/ I recommend sink or swim album.

His permission is very getable and its good to support local musicians. Here's some more http://www.mininova.org/user/audeav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I was only thinking this exact thing the other day, great minds;)

I am hoping to choose a song and shoot a trash the dress to the lyrics. I had a music video made to highway to hell on my wedding day which was really cool and I have made storybooks with lyrics going through them, most popular being a kids one with Top of The World lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

Sorry for the delayed reply...been away for a week in Galway...Loving the suggestions :)

Will look to start working on this soon, so will be in touch about the irish artists etc, but having to delay til I've had the baby now. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

mrmac wrote: »
    My 2c...

As you're in Athy, I'd try for a project that may be of interest to the local population, which will help it's appeal. Athy has huge musical connections, from Planxty to The Smiths, with (if memory serves me) Liam O'Flynn and Jack L as local residents.

The first song that came into my head, involving Athy, was "Lanigans Ball" (shows my age, and growing up not too far away from Athy!). I know it's an old song, but absolutely full of imagery, and due to it's age, I don't think it has any copyright requirements on it (I could be wrong!!!).

Oh God!! We had the 7" vinyl of lanigan's ball at home when I was a kid :D

My mother is from Athy, loads of cousins there I have.

Good idea I think, but you would need the rights to the song. Might be best get a local artist to write one specifically, would cost you less.

Advertisement