Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardman Comp - any thoughts please?

• 09-07-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Looking to get a decent road bike with a decent gruppo and frame and spotted the Boardman comp on the halfords website. I'm a poor student hence the limited budget so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the comp or has any advice over a similar priced bike?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

auld bump there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Although the boardmans are going up. The Team Carbon for example was 1249 last week and is now 1499. So get em while they are hot if there is any old stock there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've a Team Carbon and love it.

One piece of advice would be to be careful which Halfords you get it from - find out who is going to assemble and set it up for you. Some of the stories about buying from Halfords are not nice!!!

Thankfully, the guys who did mine took their time, fitted me up properly and took about an hour making final adjustments etc before they'd let me leave the shop - I still get it serviced at my local Halfords, but only if there is a particular mechanic there to do it - not the guys who think dry lube is something you get in Boots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

15% off at Halfords if you (or someone you know) has an Axa insurance policy.

Those Boardmans are great value imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Boardman Comp?

I have one since March-Fine bike for the price. Is it still selling for E800-812. You get a 10-speed derailluer so its handy if you want to upgrade fully to a 10 speed setup. I rode mine for a good 3 months exclusively(other bike was disassembled.) Did me just fine.

The one minor thing, and its standard for this price range, is that it is a little on the heavy side. Certaintly noticed it when jumping back on the lighter carbon frame. If you scrounge some money you might pick up some lighter wheels which will make a sizeable difference for climbing. Also try to pick up a cheap carbon seatpost to lean out some of the roadbuzz from alloy frames.

Don't let the above paragraph put you off. Its a well built bike with a strong/stiff frame and decent kit for the price. Expect to see this range becoming a frequent sight on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

I have one since feb, and must say Im well impressed. light and responsive. just watch the wheels, make sure them halfords boys true them up fully.its a great machine for the price........recently bought carbones for it and it looks **** hot. best of luck with it if you buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

ooopps no i dont i have one......its the team carbon i have.........but again id say its a nice machine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

I have one, first road bike, no complaints, you wont get much better for the price, equivalent treks and giants are over 1k

I'm happy with it anyway and gets good reviews.

I got mine for 860 and got lights and some extras thrown in aswell with halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm in Swords so hopefully the mechanics know whats what, just have to find a friend with Axa and I'll head in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm in Swords so hopefully the mechanics know whats what, just have to find a friend with Axa and I'll head in :)

Fwiw I have availed of the axa discount (incl buying a Team Carbon for my friend) on numerous occasions and have only been asked for my policy no. and name once. Might be worth a try if you can't find someone easily.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭knipper

Was looking into the comp before brill bike according to all reviews and opinions I've read.
    Usually they dont even ask for proof of the voucher so if I were you I'd just ask do I get a discount as my insurance is with AXA?
    They never asked to actually see it when I went in, same for some friends who did the likewise.
    Or else for a better discount you could ask would they do a price match to the sterling price of the bike.( Just say someone you know got that discount when buying a similar bike)
    They then usually can check the till and they should be able to match it which takes the price of the bike to 699.
    Thats what I did in the end, for this reason I ended up buying the team carbon as the sterling price match was 999. Bargain!
    Also got a 15% discount from bike2work scheme so bike came to 850 but pretty sure I should not have been given this discount.
    Heading in to collect mine tomorrow if the rain ever stops!!!!

Advertisement