Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelset / Powermeter Dilemma

• 09-07-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Right, need some feedback here, as I'm in danger of going off the deep end !

I want to get a powermeter, was waiting for Metrigear / Brim but I could be a fossil by the time either are ready. So its either a Powertap or Quark ( SRM too much dosh )

Option 1 : Quark means ditching my lurvly SR 11 chainset and having to buy a Rotor 3D and bits, ballpark €2,000 ono and fugly.

Option 2 : Powertap SL+ built into Zipp 303 tubular, €2,500 ono, sexy light wheelset and can keep my SR 11 chainset.

Now to my mind, option 2 gives me the most bang for my buck, and I figure if I'm gonna get a Powertap, I might as well put it into something really nice and light, as opposed to building up a data collecting anchor !

So here is my question for yas

.... is it completely stupid to even consider using a 303 tubular ( with a tough enough tub on it ) as a rear wheel for everyday use ?

( putting on the flak jacket now ..... )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd get over yourself and put it in the cranks. Then you have your choice of wheelsets.

Is it stupid to use a tub for everyday use. Yes, it is unbelievably stupid. Have you cycled in this country? Not even the pros do this, they train on clinchers. And if you put a bulletproof nasty tub on it you don't have a nice wheel for racing any more. Unless you are going to unglue/reglue your race tyre before every race. Which you aren't.

Put it in the cranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Thank feck for that flak jacket ! ;)

I've actually never flatted in this country ( today will be the day for sure after saying that ! ) and most of my mileage was done on Mich Pro 3 Lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AFAIK Rotor Quarq isn't available in Europe yet (not even in Spain, FFS).

I'm happy enough with my SRAM cranks, except when they fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Yeah, I was thinking that alright, a bit nuts to say the least.
    Lumen wrote: »
    AFAIK Rotor Quarq isn't available in Europe yet (not even in Spain, FFS).

I'm happy enough with my SRAM cranks, except when they fall off.

mmmmm quick release cranks, whatever next ! :)

Advertisement