Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New look England

• 09-07-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

So with Capello's recent claims to be overhauling the team, I was thinking about an England XI from the players who saw no playing time in SA. I fail to see how the following could have done much worse, tbh.

Hart

Richards
    Cahill
    Shawcross
    Baines
    Johnson
    Huddlestone
    Parker
    Young

Bent
    Agbonlahor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Meh, they may not have done much worse but i don't think they'd have done much better either. There's alot of promise there though in the likes of Shawcross, Johnson and Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't think that team would have come close to germany, but would have beaten algeria id say, and perhaps then ghana and uruguay to meet holland in the semis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Or a mix couldve even done better as well, something like

Hart

Richards - - Terry - - Shawcross -- Cole

Parker/Huddlestone/Barry

Johnson - - Lampard
    Young

Gerrard

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

gibson wrote: »

Hart

Parker/Huddlestone/Barry

Johnson - - Lampard
    Young

Gerrard

Rooney

Yeah definitely, the vitality of English football is actually far healthier than they'd let themselves believe. Adding Rooney, Cole etc to the cohort of promising youngsters, there is reason to be cheerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Hart

Parker/Huddlestone/Barry

Johnson - - Lampard
    Young

Gerrard

Rooney

Lampard & Gerrard ..No !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mixednuts wrote: »
    Lampard & Gerrard ..No !
    well various managers of england have tried it and failed. None of them seem to get the message that you cant play them both in the same team!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think there's a lot to be said for picking players who play regularly together at club level, but I can barely think of a single midfield, striking or centre-half combination (King and Dawson would be a good bet if you could depend on them being fit) of English players at the same club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I doubt Bent will start for them, Capello wouldn't even bring the lad to the World Cup after banging in 20 odds goals for an average side. What a ridiculous decision leaving him out iot was, and I'm a Newcastle United fan!

Lampard & Gerrard ..No !
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    well various managers of england have tried it and failed. None of them seem to get the message that you cant play them both in the same team!

In this World Cup i personally think the problem was playing Gerrard out of position to accomodate Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bent and Agbonlahor up front for England would be hysterical. nothing would ever stick up there. they'd keep the ball even less than were this World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Degag wrote: »
    In this World Cup i personally think the problem was playing Gerrard out of position to accomodate Barry.

Agreed , but one of many mistakes .

When it come to Gerrard & Lampard its Superstar status over proper player for a particular position .
    I would love to have seen one of them dropped just to see how the starting player performed .

SlickRic wrote: »
    Bent and Agbonlahor up front for England would be hysterical. nothing would ever stick up there. they'd keep the ball even less than were this World Cup.

I don't agree. They'd do a lot more than Emile Heskey has, or ever will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That was only one of several problems though. I still don't understand why Capello was so keen to have Barry in the starting 11 that he'd mess up the balance of the team just to accomodate him, Gerrard and Lampard in the same team. It was never going to work. Scott Parker is a better player than Barry and he wasn't even in the squad. Barry isn't a top player, he's decent but that's all he is and I can't believe City are paying him 100K per week. He'd be pricey enough at half that.

He still has a good nucleus to work from, with Rooney, Ahley Cole, Joe Cole etc, and bring through a few of the promising younger players aswell.

Agreed , but one of many mistakes .

When it come to Gerrard & Lampard its Superstar status over proper player for a particular position .
    I would love to have seen one of them dropped just to see how the starting player performed .
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    That was only one of several problems though. I still don't understand why Capello was so keen to have Barry in the starting 11 that he'd mess up the balance of the team just to accomodate him, Gerrard and Lampard in the same team. It was never going to work. Scott Parker is a better player than Barry and he wasn't even in the squad. Barry isn't a top player, he's decent but that's all he is and I can't believe City are paying him 100K per week. He'd be pricey enough at half that.

He still has a good nucleus to work from, with Rooney, Ahley Cole, Joe Cole etc, and bring through a few of the promising younger players aswell.

Oh of course, there were several more problems. They were dreadful!

I was only commenting on the Gerrard/ Lampard situation.

I agree that if Capello was so keen to have Barry in the team then he should have dropped either Lampard and Gerrard and play a proper left sided midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Rodwell come 2012 I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SlickRic wrote: »

Nothing was sticking the way they played at this world cup either.

I think Bent is very under rated in terms of his physical attributes and ability to win, hold onto the ball and make chances for others.

I have seen him quite a bit at Sunderland. I am very impressed with his overall game.

He can finish, He can cross, he can win the long ball punted up to him. Further to the long ball i have seen him play on his own and create chances for himself in this role too. He is much more of a force in the air than Jones for me at Sunderland.

I don't know how much Capello watched him in action for Sunderland, or what went wrong with Bent when he was at the training camp, but i honestly can't believe how Heskey would have came out on top and be picked ahead of Bent other than the fact Capello had made up his mind already.

This really annoyed me, Bent was the top english scorer behind Rooney in the Premier League, Capello initially said he was going to pick players on form, and what a kick in the face it was for those who had performed out of their skin for their clubs to be ignored for players who had lost all form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There is no reason you can't accomdate both Lampard and Gerrard. They play in different positions for their clubs. Lampard in central midfield and Gerrard off the front man. Rediculous that he never tried this tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I reckon people are over-thinking this one again.

England bottled it at the world cup, you can put in whatever players you want but they can always bottle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So with Capello's recent claims to be overhauling the team, I was thinking about an England XI from the players who saw no playing time in SA. I fail to see how the following could have done much worse, tbh.

Hart

Richards
    Cahill
    Shawcross
    Baines
    Johnson
    Huddlestone
    Parker
    Young

Bent
    Agbonlahor

Problem is, is that none of these players have any big team experience. England look to be going backwards every year with their squad. Capello needs to dump a few players and give new lads a chance.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I wouldn't put Agbonlahor in the Ireland team nevermind the England one. At least Bent has pace and can score goals, Agbonlaor just has pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

For me I think the main change needs to be the tactic, 442 just didn't cut it particularly at this level, Capello hadn't managed in a while before England and this is reflected in his outdated tactics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There is no reason you can't accomdate both Lampard and Gerrard. They play in different positions for their clubs. Lampard in central midfield and Gerrard off the front man. Rediculous that he never tried this tactic.

Gerrard shouldn't have featured at all, He's a great player when playing well but he did nothing last season to justify his inclusion in the team. England tried to be too safe with their selections, I 'd have liked to have seen A johnson and Young then given thier head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Muppet wrote: »
    Gerrard shouldn't have featured at all, He's a great player when playing well but he did nothing last season to justify his inclusion in the team. England tried to be too safe with their selections, I 'd have liked to have seen A johnson and Bale given thier head.

Bale is Welsh mate. If he was English I'd imagine he's have started every match and England would be delighted to have a long term solution to their decade long left wing woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bale is Welsh mate. If he was English I'd imagine he's have started every match and England would be delighted to have a long term solution to their decade long left wing woes.

Thanks I remembers that a little too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

flahavaj wrote: »
    ... and England would be delighted to have a long term solution to their decade long left wing woes.

Yeah, they never managed to replace Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Heskey was playing where Gerrard should have been, not Barry. Gerrard was awful in the middle against USA and for Liverpool last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Neil3030 wrote: »

Hart

Richards
    Cahill
    Shawcross
    Baines
    Johnson
    Huddlestone
    Parker
    Young

Bent
    Agbonlahor

that team wouldn't even qualify for a major championship let alone win it, could you imagine that team up against the likes of spain, shawcross marking villa, huddlestone on xavi :eek:

if england lined out against ireland with that 11 i know where i would put my money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

rossie1977 wrote: »
    if england lined out against ireland with that 11 i know where i would put my money

On England?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    that team wouldn't even qualify for a major championship let alone win it, could you imagine that team up against the likes of spain, shawcross marking villa, huddlestone on xavi :eek:

I agree. There are far too many below average to average players in that team. Some have potential maybe, but it is just potential.

Hart: Decent if lacking experience. Not sure yet how he will react to playing in pressure situations

Richards: Average player who has poor positional sense and stuggles to make the City team. Big and strong, not much else

Cahill: Potential alright but being decent at Bolton is a world away from being a top player.

Shawcross: I think he has bags of potential and is likely to make it. But is still prone to the odd youthful mistake.

Baines: Journeyman

Johnson: Pretty sure he will be a star. Should have went to the World Cup and started on the left.

Huddlestone: Typical English midfielder. Big and strong, loves a long ball. No clue how to control a game or keep the ball regularly.

Parker: Decent season in a struggling team. Nothing more than an average player though. Struggled big time at Chelsea.

Young: Bags of pace. Needs to improve decision making but might make a good career.

Bent: Good striker, should have been at the World Cup.

Agbonlahor: Should have taken up sprinting instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been thinking about this quite a bit and what I came up with given that the next World Cup is four years away is something like this.

Its not so much the players as the system.

England need to go to a 4-2-3-1 formation. Rooney is good enough play on his own up front but you need a solid base and imo they have the flair players who would flourish in a system like that.

They should have good depth in all the attacking midfield roles. Adam Johnson and Ashley Young can play either side at the highest level. Milner would be well suited to the attacking midfield role, he scores goals and his experience as a wide player means he would flourish in this position. You have Aaron Lennon who will still be there. Jack Wilshere is one I'd expect to improve a lot over the next two years. Stewart Downing will be in contention too. Another guy that comes to mind is Jamie Noble who can play that attacking role or on the left side. There are lots more but I'll move along

The defensive midfield roles could have Cattermole and Huddlestone but I think Jack Rodwell is a leading candidate for that position. You also have young Fabrice Muamba at Bolton. Again there are others who will be in contention.

At the back then you have Glen Johnson who is not a big worry because of the defensive midfielders. He has license to get forward as indeed Ashley Cole will have too. I think Cole has four years left in him. In the middle I think Jolian Lescott would work well in a system like this if he gets back to his Everton form which I'm sure he will. Dawson has been a rock for Tottenham. Pace isn't really that important with the centre backs with this system as they are protected in front. There are a lot of candidates for the centreback positions too, I don't think John Terry is finished yet but the idea is to have a 'footballing' centre back with a tough tackling one, Terry likes to be the left central defender, Dawson likes the right but you wouldn't play those two together. There are loads more who could be the top pairing for England at centre half.

I think they need to start looking at a list of 60 or so players now and use the Euro qualifiers which should not be very difficult for them to get this down to around 40 players. The most likely then get to play in the Euro finals should they reach them as the experience of a big tournament will be invaluable. Then you have two more years to get this team ready for a serious assualt on the World Cup. And Capello in charge for this whole period of course.

Just for kicks I'll do a team but players will improve and others will falter so you just couldn't call it at this stage.

Hart
    G.Johnson
    Dawson
    Lescott
    Cole
    Rodwell
    Cattermole
    A.Johnson
    Milner
    Young
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What they need is a German coach. They have the squad, but not the mentality.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What they need is a German coach. They have the squad, but not the mentality.

What they need is a complete overhaul of the youth system so they produce players capable of passing the ball to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »

Hart
    G.Johnson
    Dawson
    Lescott
    Cole
    Rodwell
    Cattermole
    A.Johnson
    Milner
    Young
    Rooney

Johnson and Lescott at the back are not even near to international standard. Not a bad team otherwise. England's future looks bleak, though, given how difficult this task is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

My team, if they had no injuries is below, does anyone reckon this team would have done any better?

Hart
    G. Johnson----Woodgate----King
    A. Cole

Beckham---Cattermole----Lampard
    A. Johnson

Bent
    Rooney

Hart, Cattermole, A. Johnson and Bent have little international experience but neither did Neuer, Muller, Ozil etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Whatever happened to Michael Mancienne? Is Chris Smalling any use?

• Advertisement

Gabriel Agbonlahor is a good forward lads, give him a year or two. He's far superior to Heskey, albeit a completely different player but he'll be an England international in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

My team, if they had no injuries is below, does anyone reckon this team would have done any better?

Hart
    G. Johnson----Woodgate----King
    A. Cole

Beckham---Cattermole----Lampard
    A. Johnson

Bent
    Rooney

Hart, Cattermole, A. Johnson and Bent have little international experience but neither did Neuer, Muller, Ozil etc.

Muller and Ozil were part of the German team that won the European Championship under 21, while its not full international they're still winning something at an international level. Bent I wouldnt put in that bracket experience wise, but did Cattermole and Johnson play in the England team that were beaten?

Bent I wouldnt put in that bracket experience wise, but did Cattermole and Johnson play in the England team that were beaten?

Yeah they did alright. The team that day was:

England team to face Germany: Loach; Cranie, Onuoha, Richards, Gibbs; Muamba, Cattermole, Noble, Milner, Johnson; Walcott.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196344/LIVE-EUROPEAN-UNDER-21-CHAMPIONSHIP-FINAL--England-v-Germany.html#ixzz0tIeySxyT

According to that article Muller didn't start the final, i don't know if he was on the bench or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yeah they did alright. The team that day was:

England team to face Germany: Loach; Cranie, Onuoha, Richards, Gibbs; Muamba, Cattermole, Noble, Milner, Johnson; Walcott.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196344/LIVE-EUROPEAN-UNDER-21-CHAMPIONSHIP-FINAL--England-v-Germany.html#ixzz0tIeySxyT

According to that article Muller didn't start the final, i don't know if he was on the bench or what.

Muller has come from nowhere, he player for the U -21s for the first time in August last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool need to play the best players in the positions. Not accommodate X, Y and Z because the Sun say so.

Hart

---Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole---

Cattermole
    Gerrard

---Lennon
    Milner
    J.Cole

Rooney

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Muller has come from nowhere, he player for the U -21s for the first time in August last year.

I was thinking that, as i had heard it being said on commentary during the World Cup, it was more in response to the poster i quoted saying he was part of the team that won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Look this is what you get for winning the war. You could have been part of a great European footballing side but you knew better didn't you?:D

Advertisement