Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scams again

• 09-07-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Ah, it's been a busy week for me. I've been asked to quote for a wedding in Spain, and also a birthday party in Dublin, both by people named John Smith (not related though). :D

Normally I just delete these, but in this case, I think I might reply to both.

Anyone got any advice on these guys, other than just avoiding them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

ask for an address for the Dublin one!!
    and
    tell the Spain one that you need payment 'up front' and to forward it by Western Union ;)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If you reply, you'll be added to a list of active emails and get more spam...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There are ones doing the rounds for weddings/parties where they forward you on a cheque for more than your amount and then sting you when you pay the other suppliers.

Best thing is to check with the venues if they have a booking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Get them to send you the cheque (which will eventually bounce) and tell them 'ha, ha I got your cheque and now I'm keeping all the money" whilst you actually just bin it because it'll be worth nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ricky91t wrote: »
    If you reply, you'll be added to a list of active emails and get more spam...

A good point. That being said some of the online services like gmail I have found are incredibly good on the spam front.

Paul, Maybe try replying from a one off email address - and see if they respond. If they respond to continue the conversation then you'll know they have no idea who they emailed in the first place and it is a scam (which it is likely in any case).

I keep a separate email address around just for those purposes. Well it belongs to one of the kid's teddies (has their name on it and all) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can always make a new address just for this.

I did get an address for the Dublin one. It's a valid address too, if formatted incorrectly.

One of the emails -
    My name is JOHN SMITH and my wife name is Jenny SMITH, we are living and working as a foreign investor in CAIRO, which is the capital city of EGYPT, but we are from Belgium by origin.

I came across your profile after an effortless search for a professional photographer. We are relocating to my new house that I just buy in,IRELAND, I mean I and my wife and child on July 30th 2010, but I will be celebrating my birthday on August 15st 2010, So I want your service on my birthday August 21st 2010.

My address which the birthday party will take place is below:

74 Holywell Wood, Sword, Feltrim Road.DUBLIN

That is my house address that I just buy and moving from Cairo to in IRELAND.

The birthday party will start 12pm to 4pm, so you can arrive the same day to our house if you like, or you can arrive at our house day before the party, just let me know which one you wish to do, but my house have adjacent rooms which you can stay in one of them if you like to come before the day of party. I invited 25 friends and that is all we are expecting on the day.

So let me know your charges rate for the party including the Airfare or your transportation amount, and let me know the amount all together, so I can arrange for the payment in time and you can be able to book the day for my Birthday Party.

I want you to contact me through my personal new email box, so i can always receive your message in time, because am always on it, (GET BACK TO ME THROUGH MY EMAIL.)a.larry003@gmail.com

I will be waiting to hear from soon, you can also contact me through my phone...+20149965477. And l will send you my family pictures in my next mail to you.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i googled the address for the laugh.

http://www.privateseller.ie/component/option,com_privateseller/Itemid,99999999/act,object/task,showEO/id,5561

no wonder he's looking for money if he recently paid €260k for a one bed apartment in swords. will be a bit cramped, since he has a family...

no wonder he's looking for money if he recently paid €260k for a one bed apartment in swords. will be a bit cramped, since he has a family...

And a party for 25 in it? Might need a wide angle lens for that shoot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, he seems to be confused about the number of bedrooms in the place. i'd love to mail him to ask him about that, just for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

You've heard of Scambaiting?

If you get a chance send me on the e-mail addy and I'll give it a go with my mates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I got the exact same one yesterday Paul. Pretty funny, looking forward to their replies!

I also got another this morning:
    My name is Dr Jeff Smith,a united kingdom based private medical practitioner but presently in Isreal to establish a cottage clinic.
    I am pleased to inform you that my Daughter,who is presently based in Mantova Italy,will be getting married to her fiance,and we need your profesional services.

Wedding date:September 4th 2010.

Service time:Three days as from 3th September -5th September .

Every details/Venue will be provided in due time.
    With a wedding abroad,i know a pre-payment of at least 50% is expected but i want you to get back to me with details of what your charges are.
    You flight and accommodation will be handle by the wedding planner..
    Am expecting to know your full calculation of your fee for a period of three day/20hours maximum for the three days..
    Have a wonderful day..

Dr Jeff Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rave2420

looks like we can all have our own party in Swords & Italy

Damn, looks like a double booking. I'm also booked for that wedding in Italy. :mad: They're not getting their deposit back now !!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

This was sent to me yesterday:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Good day!

This is Jennifer from Philip Cheng Printing Co., Ltd of China.

From your company web, we got to know that your company is an influence company in your business. We are
    pleased to approach you in the hope of developing business for mutual benefit.

We are a leading manufacturer and exporter of printing services in China. Our products have good markets in
    Europe and North America.

1. Products: picture albums, magazines, catalogs, labels and stickers, hang tags, packaging boxes, booklets,
    flyers, playing cards, calendars etc.
    2. Printing Price: Only 40% cost of you printed by local printers.
    3. Advantage: perfect quality, competitive marketing prices, good services.
    4. Guarantee: If you were not satisfied with our products, we should refund you or reprint it.

Any question? No hesitation to contact us. It's our great honor to work with you for our further cooperation.

Yours Sincerely
    Jennifer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    This was sent to me yesterday:

Dear Sir/Madam,

-snip-

Yours Sincerely
    Jennifer

That just looks more like spam than scam ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Usually the "Good Day" is a dead give-away! I get them in work a lot too (work for a car company) and they read almost identical, only more directed at the automotive industry. Suppose they buy a database with industry-related e-mail adresses of other scammers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i just got that too

i am not sure that one is a scam as much just someone actually trying to generate business but producing spam in the meantime!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

mehfesto wrote: »
    You've heard of Scambaiting?

If you get a chance send me on the e-mail addy and I'll give it a go with my mates!

I replied to one a while back an said that coincidentally my father had also been imprisoned by a military junta and that I absolutely identify with their plight. I went on to say that I was currently trying to secure the release of my own fathers millions via similar means to the email sender but that only one person seemed interested to help....etc

Unsurprisingly I never heard back.

Advertisement