Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar build

• 09-07-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Well I have an old sx stratolike guitar that I'm doing up.
    I'm gettng a pre-wired pickgaurd with gfs neovin overwound pickups and 500k pots.
    I plan on doing an EVH style paintjob.

Kind of a cross between
    http://www.kneguitars.com/guit_gals/bumblebee_gal/images/bee_01.jpg

and

http://epi3.hp.infoseek.co.jp/GuitarLarge.jpg

I'm doing it in a dark almost navy blue with white stripes.

One question: while priming if i can see the grain of the wood, should i wet sand it down untill i cant see it anymore before actual paint? Or should i leave it? Will the paint eventually cover up the grain if i leave it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

daz801 wrote: »

One question: while priming if i can see the grain of the wood, should i wet sand it down untill i cant see it anymore before actual paint? Or should i leave it? Will the paint eventually cover up the grain if i leave it?

No need, the primer will easily cover any wood grain.

Is it really worth it with an SX though? Really? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Is it really worth it with an SX though? Really? :pac:

You'd be surprised. While most of them are miss rather than hit there are some lovely playing SX's out there that would be serious instruments with a hardware upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

i've already got a few coats of primer and you can still se the wood grain in some areas. Normal??

i recon it will be ok with a hardware upgrade, relly don't have the money to buy a whole new guitar, anyway i always have my good old epiphone-sg to rely on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You need to fill the grain. No primer will ever fill the grain, never did, never will!
    You can keep building up the paint and sanding it back which will eventually fill the grain or obtain grain filler.

i've already got some primer done so can i put grain filler in top of that then do more primer beforepainting or will i have to sand it all back down again

• Advertisement

You can indeed! It will save you a bit of work in sanding so I'd say go for it.
    You could just prime and sand and ignore the whole grain thing, but for a proper finish you will need to fill the grain.
    Picks or it didn't happen :-)

will get the filler then later when i go get more paint in woodies.
    oh there will be picks alrght,
    will hopefully do the the whit base coat in the next day or two.
    Having toruble getting 3mm tape but marks models should be getting some in stock soon. maybe evan today they said they were getting some stock in today when i rang them but they didn't know if they were getting the 3mm tape

now the only problem is i cant find 1/8 inch tape.
    i got the 3/4 and the1/4 but thats it

You only need short lengths of it so if you have a place near ya that does van signage and the like just get a bit of that PVC sticker stuff they use and cut it to width with a steel rule, or if Woodies have it some contact would do just as well. DIY store in Georges St had it some time back not sure if they still do. But you should be able to get something like that and easily trim it to any width you want.

I'll check out the place georges then.

Couldn't get grain filler and normal wood filler is too thick, so i had to water to down with white spirits untill it was a creamy mixture and it worked out great. Just one or two coats of primer tommorow, then i can get down to the white base coats.

• Advertisement

Decwells South Great Georges St. Contact is not as popular these days, thank God, so it may not be that easy to get, for that it may well be. They had a pile of it some time back.
    But like I say Woodies and the like may well have loads of it.
    It's real easy to cut and work with, I think it will be perfect for what your doing.
    Polycell do a fine wood filler that would do the job, it's not stocked everywhere, but what you did seems to have done the trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

No offense but I dont think using an SX body is a good idea . Sure your getting good pickups and the rest but even still it doesnt mean it will sound good . By that I mean that there might not be much bass response . I found this out by putting a SD JB in a squier , thought it would sound like an LP , left a lot to be desired !

Advertisement