Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cd rom

• 09-07-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

the sliding tray on my cd rom doesnt openis there an easy way of getting it open not sure if there any thing stuck in it but i have three kids who knows:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Many CD drives have a small hole you can push a paperclip into to release the tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

cheers bonzodog2 that worked nothing stuck in it it locks every time i close it make a clunk clunk sound every time i try to open it any ideas:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I don't think by the sounds of it you'd be ok with opening it up, but if you're willing to give it a shot, something obvious might pop out at you. If you don't feel confident, leave it. Personally i'd rather find out and have no drive than keep using a paperclip but that might not be the best option for a family man who just needs it to work. Sending it into someone to fix is probably going to cost you 50 quid minimum.

If you're up for it, turn off the pc, unplug it completely and take it out. Start with the big screws until you can slide off the top lid and don't take any more out. Just slide it in and out (using a paperclip if needed) and see what happens. If you can see something obvious that's catching it but you're not sure, post a picture.

CD drives though are a dime a dozen if you get one without any fancy speeds. Even cheaper if you just take one out of an old computer most people are just dumping now a days. Worst case: you could get a good enough dvd rw for 20/30 euro but sure just hit ebay and it'll be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

beaver111 wrote: »
    the sliding tray on my cd rom doesnt openis there an easy way of getting it open not sure if there any thing stuck in it but i have three kids who knows:rolleyes:

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

got it opened put a cd in and hit the button in it went push the button to get it out out it came doesnt seem to recignoise the cds any suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Time to replace the drive i'm afraid. Luckily a new DVD+/-RW drive should only set you back as little as €25 + p&p and is relatively simple to install (depending on case).

You could probably pick one up second hand for free from a college/university or business that are throwing out their old pc's.

You just need to find out if it's PATA/IDE or SATA.

Advertisement