Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Shooting Ireland for those outside the ICPSA ***READ MOD WARNING IN POST 30***

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Fintan O’Toole is an opinionated lefty twit who often is wrong and is not near as important as he thinks he is. If, as you say, other media twats toady up to him, let them. The shooting population should be concentrating on contacts with journalists that meet the criteria of their profession and are not self-opinionated social commentators with personal agendas.
    The point isn't Fintan O'Toole, the point is the media missed the point of RISE and didn't understand it which I would mark as a failure on RISEs part.
    Sport IS a business, which is why the more popular sports are successful – they are run as businesses.
    Yes but which came first, the success or the business? I'd hazard a guess that it was success first and business second. Unfortunately for the shooting sports, success has eluded us so far. Other sports sufer from the same problem shooting is only one of them. And in the context of PR, sport and business are miles apart; business sees sport as part of PR and sport sees business as a necessary source of finance. Not exactly the same are they?
    The PR that exists for Shooting is rubbish at club level and often not much better at representative body level.

Google rrpc and up comes Rathdrum Rifle & Pistol Club, yet www.rrpc.ie does not exist. Simple marketing/PR tool would be to register rrpc.ie and have it linked to your own club site to divert enquiry traffic. George Digweed was mentioned above – in the last two months he has put eight updates on his website. Under “Latest News” on the Rathdrum club site, the most recent item is almost a year old - 7 September 2009.
    I googled RRPC and the first item is our old website which redirects to the new one, the latest article on which is dated 27th July 2010. Don't know what you found, but you mustn't have looked at what you clicked :D

And for more examples, the NTSA website was updated this morning and the NASRPC website was updated very recently as well.
    In past praise for RISE, I am pointing out the amount of positive coverage and media exposure they got in the recent campaign. Yes, they did not win a particular battle, but they put up a very good show and got a clear message across in a very professional way to a new audience. Something the combined clubs/associations have not managed to do for all their yapping.
    See what I mean ??
    No, I don't because RISE has now been consigned to the historical dustbin characterised as the result of agitation by rural TD's afraid of the loss of their marginal seats. The O'Toole analysis has been accepted by the mainstream media because the alternative is admitting they don't actually know what they're talking about. The actual message of RISE; that the banning of the Ward Union was seen as the thin end of the wedge by all country sports lovers was completely missed. That's the failure.

Seeing as you see fit to malign all shooting clubs/associations for not getting their message across, tell me one thing: What's the message?
    PS In case you think otherwise, my only shooting membership is CAI.
    So you're outside the tent p*ssing in, perhaps you might be better occupied inside the tent p*ssing out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

rrpc wrote: »
    The point isn't Fintan O'Toole, the point is the media missed the point of RISE and didn't understand it which I would mark as a failure on RISEs part.

Yes but which came first, the success or the business? I'd hazard a guess that it was success first and business second. Unfortunately for the shooting sports, success has eluded us so far. Other sports sufer from the same problem shooting is only one of them. And in the context of PR, sport and business are miles apart; business sees sport as part of PR and sport sees business as a necessary source of finance. Not exactly the same are they?

I googled RRPC and the first item is our old website which redirects to the new one, the latest article on which is dated 27th July 2010. Don't know what you found, but you mustn't have looked at what you clicked :D

And for more examples, the NTSA website was updated this morning and the NASRPC website was updated very recently as well.

No, I don't because RISE has now been consigned to the historical dustbin characterised as the result of agitation by rural TD's afraid of the loss of their marginal seats. The O'Toole analysis has been accepted by the mainstream media because the alternative is admitting they don't actually know what they're talking about. The actual message of RISE; that the banning of the Ward Union was seen as the thin end of the wedge by all country sports lovers was completely missed. That's the failure.

Seeing as you see fit to malign all shooting clubs/associations for not getting their message across, tell me one thing: What's the message?
    So you're outside the tent p*ssing in, perhaps you might be better occupied inside the tent p*ssing out?

RISE I guess does not give a damn about what today's media thinks, it got a lot of info across to a very wide, new, audience. They can worry about tomorrow's media at another time.
    I’m not going to get into a pi$$ing competition over this, from inside or outside any tent , but you are incorrect in what you post:

Google rrpc and, as you state, you get the Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol OLD SITE ( hardly something to boast about, you should get your metatags seen to;))
    From your OLD site there is no auto-redirect to your new site (why? :o ) which is at http://www.rathdrumrpc.org/
    So, I want to find what is the latest so I logically on the home page click “Latest News” and I get to http://www.rathdrumrpc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=1&Itemid=2
    (which is not actually "Latest News":o but another range of options:rolleyes:, so I then click on "General" to get Latest News (yet again:() and get to
    1 New Bullet Catchers fitted Monday, 07 September 2009 Kealan Symes
    Riveting stuff!!
    Now, am I right or am I right??:P

You continue to miss the point on effective PR and I’m not sure if you are deliberately being obtuse – you say ...<< in the context of PR, sport and business are miles apart; business sees sport as part of PR and sport sees business as a necessary source of finance. Not exactly the same are they?>>
    In sporting matters Business and PR have a symbiotic relationship. It does not matter a tupenny toss how close or far apart they are, they have an interdependency that can be mutually beneficial if properly exploited by both sides. Miss that realization, or miss the knowledge on how to exploit it and you miss out, as you appear to have done.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Google rrpc and, as you state, you get the Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol OLD SITE ( hardly something to boast about, you should get your metatags seen to;))
    The old site is listed on a number of other sites and linked by them. We've asked people to update their links, but until they do, the old site stays there. There's nothing worse than a 404, so it makes sense to keep it there. Incidentally, Rathdrum have had a website since 1995 (the first ever for any shooting club or organisation) so I'd suggest you're singing to the choir ;)
    From your OLD site there is no auto-redirect to your new site (why? :o ) which is at http://www.rathdrumrpc.org/
    Again, this is because it gives people time to note the change and update their bookmarks. Auto redirects tend to be missed.
    So, I want to find what is the latest so I logically on the home page click “Latest News” and I get to http://www.rathdrumrpc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=1&Itemid=2
    (which is not actually "Latest News":o but another range of options:rolleyes:, so I then click on "General" to get Latest News (yet again:() and get to
    1 New Bullet Catchers fitted Monday, 07 September 2009 Kealan Symes
    Riveting stuff!!
    Now, am I right or am I right??:P
    No you're being pedantic. You've just clicked three times past the latest news which is on the home page. Indeed the latest 'General' news is a year old, but the latest results news is 4 days old and the latest competition news is a week or so old. Your point that the site isn't up to date is wrong but you are going through unbelievable contortions to try and maintain that view despite the evidence :o
    You continue to miss the point on effective PR and I’m not sure if you are deliberately being obtuse – you say ...<< in the context of PR, sport and business are miles apart; business sees sport as part of PR and sport sees business as a necessary source of finance. Not exactly the same are they?>>
    In sporting matters Business and PR have a symbiotic relationship. It does not matter a tupenny toss how close or far apart they are, they have an interdependency that can be mutually beneficial if properly exploited by both sides. Miss that realization, or miss the knowledge on how to exploit it and you miss out, as you appear to have done.
    P.
    And yet, I'm the one who pointed to it, not you :D

I think Pedro that you have formed a view (all evidence to the contrary ignored) and refuse to accept anything anyone else says on the matter. Nowhere on this thread have you accepted or even acknowledged the points others have made and you've even gone to the trouble of manufacturing evidence to support your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Ladies, ladies, ladies,

I had not opened this thread in quite a while as it smacked of the usual Judean Peoples clay Pigeon club - which I think it was - the thread got that long I said I should read it and it is worse it has got

For a finish ye have ended up tearing each other about the URLs of each others websites - WTF? Get a grip

Shooting in general is not inhabited by pups - the majority have limited exposure nor interest in the web - email seems to work but you would not want to send a message tha requires an urgent response

the websites of the national associations are there to show who they are and what they do

the websites of clubs are there to show what facilities they have and if, indeed, they are a business what services and products they offer

many would seem to do a fine job - considering they are built by volunteers - when they have a spare moment between bottle feeds and the news

we are all very lucky that people give of their time - freely - to build the websites that we have - sure they all have problems, they all have out of date information - they may even have the occasional spelling mistake

so what - if you see a problm on a website then please report it to webmaster@ or volunteer to help out with the site to help keep it up to date - oh sorry - too busy whinging - have no time to help (hang on while I check the spelling on whingeing to see if you made a mistake)

PR in shooting is a disaster - it has been predicated by a siege mentality which has been all pervasive for so long that people know no different - like Kerry in the football - oh hold on that's not true anymore - which am I talking about? You figure it out

so can we quit trying to figure out who is wearing odd socks and all push the car together

B'Man

Advertisement