Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pig 'n' Porter 2010

Options
  • 09-07-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

With only 7 days to go, anyone on here making their way to Rosbrien or even playing in it?

Missed it last year but I was told it was brilliant - really looking forward to it.
    Friday night for the Jon Kenny/John Spillane gig and Saturday for the tag and merry drinking!!

http://www.pignporter.com/wordpress/

http://www.facebook.com/PignPorter?ref=ts

Not involved with it btw if anyone asks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Not taking part but taking photos!
    should be a laugh, it looks very well organised again this year
    They have loads of new events and the Little Piggies tag rugby sounds like it
    will be a lot of fun for the Kids.

Hope the weather cooperates!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

As you know if you have been before, weather doesnt really matter but yeah it would be miles better if it is sunny

With only a few more days to go, just bumping this incase anyone isnt aware of it.

Its only 10 euro for a ticket and 15 euro on the day. Its one of the best festivals during the summer and the best in Limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭mikey1

Mc Love wrote: »
    With only a few more days to go, just bumping this incase anyone isnt aware of it.

Its only 10 euro for a ticket and 15 euro on the day. Its one of the best festivals during the summer and the best in Limerick

And your not involved in it?:rolleyes:

mikey1 wrote: »
    And your not involved in it?:rolleyes:

Nope - used to be, but not anymore. Just explaining that its a great event, great night after the tag. Its one of the things I look forward to the most during summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Whitewater were fantastic!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

All good apart from the bottled Carslberg, looked like this :( yesterday and again today

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Imagineer

Still trying to shake off the boggy headedness.

€5 for a palstic bottle of Carlsberg or very small measure of vodka was a very disappointing. the band were excellent, are they Limerick based?

Awesome night, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Measures of spirits are standardised in this country, how were they selling small shots of vodka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Em*

I was there on Saturday night and ended up leaving early enough. Definitely small measures of vodka/bacardi and as a mixer 2 litre bottles of coke or diet coke on the counter. This is after having to queue in one marquee to get drinks vouchers, to go to the other marquee or clubhouse to queue again to get drinks. Disaster !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If they were free-pouring small measures instead of using optics then you should have made a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Can you not bring your own drinks in there anymore???? I didnt go this year but for the last 4/5 years Ive brought in me own.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

Yep,great day in fairness this year,well organised and the rain held off for the games. I wasnt so impressed with the session afterwards tho,as was mentioned earlier,queuing for vouchers at fiver a pop,before queuing for horrible carlsberg.The vodka did seem on the weak side,but I couldnt see if they were using standard measures,as they had the drinks pre-poured. I also reckon organisers made a nice profit on unused vouchers,as I and some mates had some left over the following morning.

The band were excellent tho,hope to catch them another time.Did a great cover of RATM killing in the name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LeViat

In all fairness lads.

If it was a cash bar the queues would have been rediculous, there must have been 4 or 5 thousand people there.

The plastic bottles were for health and safety, these guys need to use those rugby pitches for sport, I'm sure the players would like to be 100% certain that there is no glass or metal bottle caps lurking there.

Also, they were 500ml bottles. The standard bottle in pubs is only 330ml.

There is no way the measures were small, the optics are standard, maybe the glass was a bit wider. That was also plastic for health and safety reasons.

I think Whitewater are from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I was there for the day myself.
    The event was very well run, and the day of tag was great, but as with others, was a bit disapointed in the night.
    The vouchers idea was a bit of a joke.
    Definatley a way to keep people there rather than heading to town and to make a bit extra as I'd say every second person there left with useless vouchers in their pockets.
    Also, I heard from many, many, people that they thought the shorts were not standard.
    I thought so myself, but with dozens others saying the same, it starts to get a bit more convincing.
    The glasses were the ame plastic ones you'll get at any outdoor event, and they had two different sizes, so it's not as if they were serving the drinks in bowls!
    Really did look, and taste like less to me.

Still a great day, but they have to get rid of that stupid vouchers idea for next year.

I saw people selling vouchers they didn't want. So people buying them were happy enough they didn't have to queue, people selling them didn't get stuck with them.

I didn't see any great hassle with the vouchers except there should have been more than one spot to buy them.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the the guys who organsie the pig 'n' porter or the drinks sponsor would use smaller optics to try and screw, it would achieve nothing and would cost them everything if it were true and they were caught.

It's such a good event and organised by volunteers! Why would they do anything to ruin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

LeViat wrote: »
    I saw people selling vouchers they didn't want. So people buying them were happy enough they didn't have to queue, people selling them didn't get stuck with them.

I didn't see any great hassle with the vouchers except there should have been more than one spot to buy them.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the the guys who organsie the pig 'n' porter or the drinks sponsor would use smaller optics to try and screw, it would achieve nothing and would cost them everything if it were true and they were caught.

It's such a good event and organised by volunteers! Why would they do anything to ruin it?

The volunteers don't organise the bar, anyway aside from the rank carlsberg and weak vodka I didn't leave any vouchers after me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Really mad I missed it this year, great event for Limerick
    I checked out Whitewater before after hearing them in Smyths one night, they have an albulm out called "Relentless". Often gigging in Limerick.

How was Jon Kenny and John Spillane?

I see in the paper the Bull 'n' Booze is on next month, they say they're not the biggest but are the best. No drinks sponsors - no rank Carlsberg, is it worth the trip if your not playing?

@Limerick Lass, Jon Kenny and John Spillane were brilliant. Spillane was a bit slow to start, but anyone there that was familiar with him thought he was brilliant. Jon Kenny was hilarious then they both finished out together, can't remember the song they finished on but it was brilliant. Great night!

I'm sure the Friday night at the Pig 'n' Porter will develope next year, I was talking to a few of the organisers there that night, they put so much work into setting up the weekend they really want to develop the Friday and Sunday. They can do no more with Saturday unless they get more pitches, or try to put the tag rugby over two days, perhaps a bank holiday weekend. Fair play to them, it's great for Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Played Saturday and it was supremely well run. No delays or hiccups at all

Not a drinker myself and left just before the band started, which I regret, but the day was brilliantly run.

Twas a great event.

Friday night - John Spillane was very good, but friends at my table said it would be better to see him in Dolans as there was a lot of background noise (alot of people talking) and you couldnt hear him properly. He even told them to be quiet and some shhh the crowd a few times to little or no effect. Jon Kenny, was brilliant, easily more funnier than Pat Shortt, and had no problems shutting up the talkers. At the end of the gig, both Pat and John sang a few songs which was a great way to end the night. However it didnt end there and I ended up in the Welcome party in the Sinbin (probably not the best idea when playing the next day), didnt get home til 4.30am

Saturday - Managed to get up no problem, make my way over to OC about 12 for registration and in time for the competition to start at 12.30pm. Plans went off without a hitch, but some bad refereeing from one ref put a little downer, but not too much as we got out of our group with no losses and made it all the way to the C plate final. (a big achievement). Good trad session keeping the whole thing going

Saturday night - really well planned, thought the vouchers thing was a superb idea, the group of five of us spent 180 euro on 44 vouchers :D much easier than fiddling about with cash (experienced this over in San Sebastien, when munster played Biarritz too and it worked well). Whitewater were amazing as they have been in the past, place was jammed, weather was bad but it did little to dampen spirits. Only thing I found disappointing was the bars kept on running out of drinks, spirits, mixers, ice etc. One bar server wouldnt even serve us vodka, said there was none left even though we could see it behind him. Eventually they gave in, dont know whether he planned to keep it for himself or what!?

Didnt make it over on the Sunday, but from what I heard it was a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Was raging to miss it this year, but having missed out on registration for my team, I had no intention of just heading up for the booze.
    Have heard some very mixed reports about it from folks who were there though. Nobody that I've spoken to yet has said that it was excellent, which is unusual, considering they are all regular attendees and are massive fans. Some say it's their last year, others say it just wasn't as good and is too big now.

Advertisement