Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I create a path in my soggy garden?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi could anyone please tell me the best way to create a small path in my garden. Its very wet and when I walk on it I leave footprints even on the driest day although there is never any surface water there. Should I dig a trench, line it with plastic, fill it with sand and then cover it with gravel??? Will the gravel not just mingle with the sand then? Am very new to this gardening lark and wud appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'd sort out the soggy garden first. There's plenty of information and pictures on how do this if you search through the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Unless of course you want a bog garden, but most don't, otherwise as HE advises

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi could anyone please tell me the best way to create a small path in my garden. Its very wet and when I walk on it I leave footprints even on the driest day although there is never any surface water there. Should I dig a trench, line it with plastic, fill it with sand and then cover it with gravel??? Will the gravel not just mingle with the sand then? Am very new to this gardening lark and wud appreciate any advice, thanks.

Caroline

some sites might be more damp than others and tackling the dampness may not be worth the effort/costs. Your site (is it level or are you at the end of a gradient?) does to be very damp and is it your intention to retain a lawn area? If not, you have several options including adding a soak channel ( dig 900mm deep and backfill with 450mm of rough stone and finish with soil), incorporate/expand but the perimeter planted border using plants which enjoy damp conditions (you'd be surprised how the addition of a few suitable plants can quickly help to dry out areas), remove lawn and have open planted area or similar topdressed with decorative pebble laid on horticultural liner, replace grass area with synthetic grass etc etc.

In relation to putting in a path, as damp ground is much softer than normal conditions, you will require additional backfill/sub-base for any pathway. I would recommend that you dig down at least 150mm/6" and put in plenty of compacted base of broken rubble stone, gravel or hardcore and finish with your preferred surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caroline Mc Gee

Thanks very much for your useful reply. I'm just going to have a path so your suggestions for backfilling were just what I was looking for.

Advertisement