Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is eating the leaves on my plants?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I have some flowers growing, can't remember the names, but they have a broad lettuce type leaf on them.

Something is munching on the leaves with quite a ferocious appetite. I thought it might have been slugs, but I'm quite the slug hunter and have never found them on or near the plants at night.

One tell tale sign though is that the culprit is leaving behind tiny tiny poo droppings on the leaves. At first they were little black specs, but now the poo has grown in size.

Any ideas what could be doing it? I can never seem to find the eater.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Sounds like Caterpillars!!
    If there are only one or two you may have to turn over a lot of leaves to find them. They also like to go deep into the heart of the plant and you may need to peal back the leaves to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

You could be right!

I'll go hunting deeper in to the plant and get rid of them.....

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Green caterpillars can be quite hard to spot until you get your eye in.

Advertisement