Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband (move away from Magnet?)

Options
  • 09-07-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Got a phone call from UPC sales rep today about their new broadband package 30M/3M, cosing EUR 42. All sounds nice, however:

* I asked him what type of IP address: static or dynamic? He spoke to somebody else and said - definitely static. Hard to believe they give residential customers static IP addresses.

* I asked him about download limits he said "Unlimited". Then I asked about fair usage policy, then he said - somewhere about 300 or 400Gbytes a month.

Didn't ask him the following may be someone here can help me:

* do they throttle traffic? Restrict certain ports etc?
    * what about incoming traffic? I.e. if I open an FTP for a friend to use or setup a small web site for a bunch of friends? Will the incoming 80 and 21 go through?
    * what's with Torrents and Emule? I'm not really heavy downloader recently, but sometimes I like to get few hundred gigs.

May be if all is that good I should finally move away from Magnet...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

B0rG wrote: »
    Got a phone call from UPC sales rep today about their new broadband package 30M/3M, cosing EUR 42. All sounds nice, however:

* I asked him what type of IP address: static or dynamic? He spoke to somebody else and said - definitely static. Hard to believe they give residential customers static IP addresses.

Their dynamic, but sticky, you'll have the some one for quite a while normally.
    * I asked him about download limits he said "Unlimited". Then I asked about fair usage policy, then he said - somewhere about 300 or 400Gbytes a month.

It's 250 gigs. Go over that repeatedly and they move you to the unlisted and more expensive ultra package.
    Didn't ask him the following may be someone here can help me:

* do they throttle traffic? Restrict certain ports etc?
    * what about incoming traffic? I.e. if I open an FTP for a friend to use or setup a small web site for a bunch of friends? Will the incoming 80 and 21 go through?
    * what's with Torrents and Emule? I'm not really heavy downloader recently, but sometimes I like to get few hundred gigs.

May be if all is that good I should finally move away from Magnet...

There's long been claims that they port throttle, but there's also been claims that it's done by region and not universal. All I know is my torrents run fine. I've never seen any mention of blocking port 80 or 21.

Advertisement