Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No sulkies allowed in Limerick Tunnel....

Options
  • 09-07-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I don't think this has been posted yet...has anyone seen the signage coming in the N18 detailing what is not allowed to enter the Tunnel? This sign features 3 times on the N18 - I presume it is the same on the other side?

Items like bikes etc are listed but it is the first time I have ever seen a pic of a horse with person and cart/sulkie listed on a sign like this. I searched for the pic online but this is the closest I could find - doesn't seem to be much in international use :rolleyes:

11954426831924664934ryanlerch_No_horse_and_carts_sign.svg.med.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oh jesus - thank god for your edit comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

racism:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

That's discrimiNATION:D

Could we dig up all the roads out of limerick and replace them with tunnels???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Bit like this?
    http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/Horse_Drawn_Vehicles_Prohibited_On_Roadway_Sign_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090616-191365-553048.jpg
    But with a red line through it. Saw it on side of road coming from shannon.
    It makes sense though, The tunnel is for fast moving cars, not slow moving horses.
    Plus can you imagine one of the boys stopping his horse at the toll, and whipping out a few euro?
    Half the time they can't stop in traffic, never mind at a toll!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Breach of human rights tbh

Let me get onto Pavee Point

You are assuming that members of the Travelling community have a monopoly on sulky use.

Don't despair though, you are not the only one in this thread making that mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

You are assuming that members of the Travelling community have a monopoly on sulky use.

Don't despair though, you are not the only one in this thread making that mistake.

But they are the only ones who bang on about their rights to keep these animals in the city as it is their heritage.

mark1974 wrote: »
    But they are the only ones who bang on about their rights to keep these animals in the city as it is their heritage.

That is not true either, look at all the ongoing court cases involving Limerick City Council and residents of the housing estates who have horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

That is not true either, look at all the ongoing court cases involving Limerick City Council and residents of the housing estates who have horses.

Fair enough. But afaik, they cant claim heritage for keeping horses in the estates.
    But I suppose thats another topic for another day.:)

mark1974 wrote: »
    Fair enough. But afaik, they cant claim heritage for keeping horses in the estates.
    But I suppose thats another topic for another day.:)

Actually it is the same issue. the ban on animal propelled vehicles is not solely a traveller issue, but some here tried to frame it as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's a MOTORWAY.......so if anything those signs should be at the start of the motorway.

Mind you, I did see some idiot on a pedal bike on the motorway near Newmarket-on-Fergus last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Actually it is the same issue. the ban on animal propelled vehicles is not solely a traveller issue, but some here tried to frame it as such.
    In fairness, the second post refers to a particular organisation because they represent a significant amount of sulky owners.

I don't think anyone else referred to anyone except sulky drivers, except yourself? Unless you're were just assuming we were referring to a certain group other than just sulky drivers?

I couldn't care less if it was Mary McAleese and Colonel Ratzinger belting up and down the motorway 2 abreast, I'd discriminate against them just the same as anyone else doing it...

langdang wrote: »
    In fairness, the second post refers to a particular organisation because they represent a significant amount of sulky owners.

You are stereotyping again, and that annoys me greatly

Pavee Point represents travellers, to the best of my knowledge there is no organisation representing sulky owners.
    I don't think anyone else referred to anyone except sulky drivers, except yourself? Unless you're were just assuming we were referring to a certain group other than just sulky drivers?

Again, the organisation referred to represents travellers, no sulky owners.
    I couldn't care less if it was Mary McAleese and Colonel Ratzinger belting up and down the motorway 2 abreast, I'd discriminate against them just the same as anyone else doing it...

Then why drag Pavee Point into the discussion on the tunnel restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thought they'd moved their monopoly to Hiace vans and 2010 Range Rovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's a MOTORWAY.......so if anything those signs should be at the start of the motorway.

Mind you, I did see some idiot on a pedal bike on the motorway near Newmarket-on-Fergus last weekend.

AFAIK The Motorway ends at Rosbrien interchange, the signs all change to green at that point, so I presume it will lower to 100 Km/h until far side of tunnel. So, not a motorway, and they could access the road at dock road interchange.

Plus, I can beat your story, saw an elderly woman and child walking along the centre embankment of the motorway between Nenagh and Birdhill a few weeks back :eek: Rang the cop shop in Nenagh, garda says "The woman out walking on the motorway?! I KNOW, WHAT'S SHE THINKING?! i've someone on the way.."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,218 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually the stretch of road leading up to the tunnel from the Radison interchange to the Rossbrien interchange is not classed as motorway. It is a regular dual carriageway with a maximum speed limit of 100kph and reduced to 50kph through the toll plazas and tunnel itself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I saw a lady in a Fiesta do a U-turn on the M20 between the Raheen and Dooradoyle exits heading Limerick-bound this afternoon, she did a Jim McDaid on it for a few meters then pulled in on the grass, still facing the wrong way. WTF!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I hear they are giving out driving licenses in lucky bags these days

bazz26 wrote: »
    Actually the stretch of road leading up to the tunnel from the Radison interchange to the Rossbrien interchange is not classed as motorway. It is a regular dual carriageway with a maximum speed limit of 100kph and reduced to 50kph through the toll plazas and tunnel itself.

50kph thorugh tunnel??? :eek: surely 80 is standard?!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Saw the same thing the Tues before last I think. Couldn't believe it!

Edit: Just saw another post there referring to that cyclist but the guy I saw was just below Dromoland which is definately Motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

McConkey wrote: »
    Saw the same thing the Tues before last I think. Couldn't believe it!

Seen him loads of times. Even saw a guy between Dromoland and NMOF walking with a roller suitcase.

Saw a guy crossing the motorway with two dogs(not on leads) by the Raheen exit and another guy walking dogs heading from Carew Park area towards the Tipperary flyover.

• Advertisement

saw a guy with a roller suitcase out there once too, maybe the same guy. You'd think the cyclists would stay off though, since they know the law, and one of them was killed there when it was a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

We have the same sign in Cork too for the Jack Lynch Tunnel, but with a white background. Dunno why it needs to be said, but it's there anyway. Although our (smaller - yes I know the one in Limerick will be bigger;)) tunnel isn't part of a motorway. So it can't be "discrimination". It's up there with a load of other things like bikes and pedestrians. There's even a no parking sign!! :pac:

Won't the toll plaza kinda stop all this heppening though? Cos whoever's manning it will be able to stop such things from getting through. I'm guessing the automated barriers will simply look at it and instead of thinking car=€1.90 (or however much), it'll just not do anything and won't ask for money or open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Berty wrote: »
    Seen him loads of times. Even saw a guy between Dromoland and NMOF walking with a roller suitcase.

Saw a guy crossing the motorway with two dogs(not on leads) by the Raheen exit and another guy walking dogs heading from Carew Park area towards the Tipperary flyover.

About 20 kids ran across the 120km/h once near O'Malley Park when I was on my way home from work a few weeks back. I think the local school missed their physics class. Never seen something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

the toll plazas are only on the Shannon side of the tunnel so sulkies could enter from the Dock Road side easily enough - toll barriers would have to lift then to allow them through. Can't see a sign stopping them if they feel like driving through though.

Advertisement