Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modifying 'DOs' & 'DONTs'

Options
  • 09-07-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought it might be interesting to gather some opinions on the DOs and DONTs of modifying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so let's keep this civilized and not get into unnecessary slagging matches!

I'll go first:

DO:
    Choose your mods wisely ie; don't buy something because it's cheap.

DONT:
    Overuse stickers, and graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

DO:
    use your own ideas and style - it's your car!

DON'T:
    do anything that comprimises safety - the road is a public place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

si_guru wrote: »
    DONT: do anything that comprimises safety - the road is a public place!

Well said Si, I think this can be applied to driving like a numpty as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Now as far as I am concerned the only reason to modify a car is make make it quicker. To make it quicker you improve the power to weight ratio. The only way to increase the power is to burn more fuel so you either increase the manifold pressure (boost) or increase the revs. Both tend to cost a bit of money and definitly can cost in terms of engine life and reliability. Therefor the best starting point is to reduce the weight as far as possible. You get the added bonus of less wear and tear on brakes and tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Now as far as I am concerned the only reason to modify a car is make make it quicker.

Or you could modify a car to handle better and not touch the power output whatsoever.

Or you could modify a car to just look better and not really be concerned with weight/power or handling.

Personally i had a car on which i spent silly money on modifying for looks with no power and i wouldn't do it again.My current car i modified for power and handling,next up i think i'll go all out and just buy a track car.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

opening a can of worms here!
    DO's: Do what ever makes you happy

DONT's: Dont have black alloys or anything carbon as this is very uncool :D (in my humble opinion of coarse)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

DO:
    back box alloys cd player cb aerial sunvisor
    DONT:straight pipe civic....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

DO

Performance

DONT DO

Aesthetic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do upgrade the braking and suspension systems in concert with engine mods.

Do look at bushings. Often left out of the list when people start fiddling with suspension. A tired suspension can get one helluva lift from brand new bushings all around. Even if you leave the shocks and springs alone. On cars that are pretty fast outa the box anyway.

And + 1000 on the do whatever you like as far as aesthetics go. Its your car, not anyone elses. Much better to be an individual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Do
    Whatever the fuxk you like.

Don't
    Care about what others have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do

Don't

In a nutshell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Do

Not always the best idea mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

DO-whatever you like

DONT-The one thing i dont like is making something look like something better,etc type r badges on a 1.4

At the end of the day its youre car,youre doing it the way you want,some people dont like big power,some people cant handle big power.some people are into the looks of there car,others leave it stanterd.Its all down to PERSONAL CHOICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Do
    Performance mods.
    Braking mods.
    Uprated suspension mods.
    Tasteful styling mods.

Don't
    Cut springs.
    Bodykits that look like the plastic has melted with big wavy curves across the bumpers that don't suit the rest of the car.
    Put badges from the performance model of your car on your bog basic engine.
    Big exhausts on small engines. Rather than making your car sound muscular, you're just announcing to the world how long it takes for your car to accellerate. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaa .... 17 seconds later ... 2nd gear ... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Vinyl sticker shopping lists on the doors/wing.
    Corollas. They weren't attractive as standard, and they'll never be a good modified car.
    Corsas. See above.
    Drive around and around town with your windows down and system up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

DO : increase power output and speed
    DONT : forget to upgrade the brakes and suspension too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

DO: to your car what you like once within the law ;) Have fun with it its YOUR car.

DONT: Build to impress others, do it for you doesnt matter if people like it or not, your never going to make everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

do: keep mods to oem spec eg msport kit/sport kit of giving car.

dont: put anything cosmetic from halfords on the car.

i know i already said do what you want,but dont ever do this
    efdc2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

paddycam wrote: »
    i know i already said do what you want,but dont ever do this
    efdc2.jpg

apart from the hood bonnet..I kinda like that :o

i dont like it,it cant be called a boxy anymore:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I really like that, apart from the bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That took some work I imagine. And yea I like it too. :)

Another Do I thought of.

Do get proper security. Don't buy into the old chestnut of "If they really want it they'll take it". Its self defeating. Make it as hard as possible for the little scummy bastards. You may end up spending 1000's on mods, never mind the base car, or tax and insurance and never mind your time and effort, so slapping a 200 quid alarm in to protect all this is pretty daft. I learned this the hard way about 10 years ago. Had a teg(SI) nicked on me. Luckily I got it back but after that I did a fair bit of research on this security subject. I know bugger all about a cars leccy bits, but after I was shown how it was done it was remarkably easy. In fact I was able to bypass a mate of mines system on a civic in under 5 mins and I was taking it slow, am a bit slow myself and wasn't ripping at panels. He was :eek:

Most alarm installs are pretty crap. The 200 quid specials are píss easy to bypass. For the scummer with an IQ above the norm the expensive ones can often be nearly as easy and yes that includes cliffords too. Hell I've seen one clifford install where they had bypassed the cars own built in key immobiliser which is going to be better than the clifford one. :rolleyes:(it wasnt a remote start either).

Its not so much the alarm, its more the install. Let's take a teg for example(cos I know em, Civics of the same age would be similar), the various bits of the alarm are going to be in much the same place for each and every install. Naturally, as the fitter is trying to run a biz and for the sake of time spent, they're gonna have a template for each car. The practiced scum know this. So get creative with your placement of the alarm brain. Somewhere behind a trim panel that requires work to get to. The one in the dash with the usual obvious relay is practically handing it to them on a plate and can actually make it easier for them to hotwire in the dark. To be really devious rip a crappy alarm brain out of a scrapped car and put it in the usual place to throw them off the scent. Don't advertise what alarm you have by putting stickers everywhere. No point giving them a heads up in advance.

Siren: Mount it out of the way. Make sure its one with an internal backup battery, so even if they cut the power its still going off. Again maybe rip a crappy one out of a scrapped car and mount it in the usual place to throw them off even more. Think of adding a secondary internal siren. One of the little peizo ones. They're loud enough to really irritate the scum bag in the cabin. Get a DEI branded one. They're the crowd that make clifford, viper etc. The Chinese knock offs for 1 euro on ebay arent worth a tinkers curse. If you're handy with relays and wiring you could fit an external big alarm behind a trim panel. Burst eardrums time.

Wiring: Try and hide the alarm wires within existing looms so it looks stock. Same with alarm relays.

Bonnet: Secure your bonnet. It's the second thing they open, if not the first. Many older Jap cars bonnets can be accessed from outside the car. Daft but true. Reroute the bonnet cable(google is your friend there). Even move the internal bonnet release to somewhere else. Best of all find some way of putting a secondary keyed locking system on your bonnet. You used to be able to get bonnet locks that also cut power to vital systems when activated, but they seem to have gone out of fashion. Dunno why as they are a big hurdle for the scum. It means they cant cut the siren or the battery and the car was immobilised. You may be able to get an old stock one like I did. Again Google is your friend.

Sensors: Proximity sensors can be a pain in the arse with false alarms. Shock sensors can be almost as bad. Get the best sensors you can afford(DEI again). Add in the old fashioned tilt switch. Place it on your bonnet if you can as it'll alert you to it being opened as well as if they try to tow your pride and joy or jack it up to nick the wheels.

Other stuff: One of those disklocks that covers the entire wheel will really slow them down and is a great visual deterrent. The standard bar yokes can actually help the scum as a lever to break the cars built in steering lock. The yokes that lock the handbrake and gear lever are pretty useless. Cut off switches. Easy to fit and if placed well will slow them down too. Good quality locking wheel nuts. If you're more into engine mods than external mods, then go stealth. Make the car look like a standard model so it doesnt stand out. A delayed immobiliser system like blackjax is a good idea if you can afford it. That way if they break into your gaff and steal the keys they're not getting very far. There are other separate systems out there too. Well there was a few years ago. Simple thing. When you park, turn the steering wheel all the way to one direction. With a disklock on, they cant push the car in a straight line. Disconnect the key barrels in the door locks and rely on your central locking(leave the bootlid one alone though in case of emergency) or remove the locks entirely for the smooth look. To stop scum with lock jemmies or coat hangers, take off your inner door card and cut some plastic plumbing pipe to size and cable tie it over the door look levers. Stops that method in its tracks. If you go to cruises etc, don't wax lyrical about your security as you dont know what scumbag may be eavesdropping.

Think in layers and misdirection. Be creative. This will slow them right down and in 90% of cases stop them. With the above lot in a car, short of towing the car they'll be screwed. Even then the alarm will be going batshít as they drive off down the road. Now they might vandalise the car out of scummyness and spite, but they won't have the pleasure of driving it.

Apologies folks for the long post from usually just a lurker, but I just hate to see this happen to people who put so much time,money, effort and care into their cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Do

Don't

i thought that myself till i seen a honda civic covered in rally-art stickers....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

do- whatever you want to do!! once it doesn't affect the safety of the car

dont- drive around like a rally driver just because you have all the performance,suspension and brakes up-grades in the world for your car and think you can handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

dont- drive around like a rally driver just because you have all the performance,suspension and brakes up-grades in the world for your car and think you can handle it

Or just a backbox from Lidl and a sunstripe - and you think that we believe you have all the performance, suspension and brakes up-grades in the world for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

si_guru wrote: »
    Or just a backbox from Lidl and a sunstripe - and you think that we believe you have all the performance, suspension and brakes up-grades in the world for your car.

lol and that too:D planty of them around too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Pdfile wrote: »
    i thought that myself till i seen a honda civic covered in rally-art stickers....

:rolleyes:

Saw a GT-R 96' Astra myself once :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

DON'T - chrome your side mirrors

Advertisement