Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Peasy Mackerel

Options
  • 09-07-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

There are several recipies that do mackerel with fruits like cranberry, apple, goosebury, rhubarb etc.
    My normal way to do mackerel is in a Normandy style, but Hix in the UK's independent came up with this last week.

mackerel.jpg
    I think the idea is that the acid in the fruit can cut through the oils in the fish.
    I realy like the idea of having the peas with the orange zing on the plate, but apart from the fish seemed like a good idea.

I feel there is a real automatic temptation to reach for the spuds when we do fish, but just to be a little different I went with a fresh risotto with broad beans from the garden.

There are so many cuisines that do rice and fish, Indonesia, China, Spain with their paella and others.

4 fillets from a large mackerel, weighing about 100-120g each, or 8 smaller ones
    1tbsp flour for dusting
    1tbsp olive oil
    100g butter
    2 large shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
    The grated zest and juice of one orange
    100ml veg stock
    120-150g shelled weight of peas, cooked
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat half the butter in a pan and gently cook the shallots for a couple of minutes until soft, add the orange zest and juice, veg stock and peas, season and simmer for 2-3 minutes,

Stir in the rest of the butter until emulsified and remove from the heat.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy or non-stick frying pan.
    Lightly flour the mackerel on the skin side and season.
    Fry the fillets skin-side down, first for 2-3 minutes until the skin is crisp, then turn them and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
    Spoon the peas on to serving plates; lay the fillets on top.

Served with a broadbean and lemon risotto

A really nice summer dish, for a lunch serve with a plain green salad with french or carribean dressing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My favourite way is to top, tail and gut them. Poach gently for 10-15 mins. Serve with vinegar and white pepper.

A perfect breakfast after a morning's fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I only eat mackerel one way;

Filleted, lightly seasoned and floured, and fried quickly.
    Salt & pepper and: lemon, white wine vinegar or malt vinegar.
    Good white bread & butter and tea.

I adore the above but for some reason don't like mackerel for dinner! (maybe too much of it as a kid)

PS Nobody eats fillets skin side up so why are they constantly served that way?

Mmm lovely, now I have to turn my fish over and move all the stuff from underneath it before I can eat i
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

PS Nobody eats fillets skin side up so why are they constantly served that way?

I think it just looks better skin side up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I seriously ate mackeral way too much as a kid (fishing at the seaside was a regular holiday occurance, ate mackeral for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and I don't really go in for it now, but this really appeals to me, as does the risotto.
    Had it somewhere recently with a beetroot and apple salad and it was gorgeous too.

• Advertisement

simonj wrote: »
    I think it just looks better skin side up

It might look great wrapped in a gold ribbon too but it would be a pain it the ass to eat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

It might look great wrapped in a gold ribbon too but it would be a pain it the ass to eat!!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I eat the skin if its really crispy.

Mmm, I'm all for eating the skin but I bet you turn it over to eat (and probably push the pile of stuff that it's stacked on to the side).

Probably just me but the fashion for stacking food and serving fish skin side up is presentation at the expense of the eating pleasure and annoys me!

Advertisement