Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 10, Stage 7: Tournus - Station des Rousses

• 09-07-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

Let the games begin

Sawtooth to the station

This will get everyone's climbing legs warmed nicely. Rather than go for a full-on mountain stage, Tour boss Prudhomme has opted for something slightly gentler but potentially unpredictable.

It's a shame the Tour seldom comes to the Jura region, because this is wonderful cycling country, with narrow roads switching back and forth through dense forest. There are six climbs, which get progressively harder as the stage progresses. The favourites shouldn't get into trouble, but this is ideal ambush country.
    gr215467_600.jpg
    gr214543_600.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Cadel in yellow after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Dunno, i have a sneaking feeling we could have fireworks tomorrow. If Contadors in last years form maybe they'll have to attack him from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Roche to do something today?

"The stage finishes on a mountain top at the ski resort of La Rousses. We have five mountains before the finish, each one getting progressively harder. I don't think we will see fireworks on the stage, but I think it could come down to a small group sprint at the top. I'll have our climber Christophe Riblon alongside me and I'd love to be coming to the finish in a small front group to have a go for the stage. Hopefully, I will be fine."

From his diary in the Independent which is great reading as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Joaquim Rodriguez at 20/1 and Cunego at 9/1 for the stage are both good bets. Could be a day for either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Very interested to see how Roche gets on. Seeing as its an intermediate mountain stage I hope he can keep up with the front group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Will the green jersey guys target the first two sprints?

12 points going a begging in the flat first 45k. Would certainly liven up the early running.

I'll have to tune into TG4 just in case.

Will the green jersey guys target the first two sprints?

12 points going a begging in the flat first 45k. Would certainly liven up the early running.

I'll have to tune into TG4 just in case.

No. the early break will take those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm wondering how this finish will suit Nico. I know he's targeting GC rather than stages but, if he's shadowing the favourites, a steady climb with a couple of km of flat might create a situation where he's one of the few guys left at the end with a decent sprint.

Unless the break stays away.

Or the GC climbers decide to try to put time into each other.

This should be a good stage.

going by his form in the PN earlier in the year, this stage will suit him well
    interesting to see how he goes depending on what the GC guys do..or not

also BBox thinking of voeckler or even fedrigo, remember he had an impressive mtn top stage win in the criterium internationale
    in spring

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

What's that square shape inside Cav's jersey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

anyone know an alternative place to view it other than TG4? my irish aint so hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my stream just died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Bit strange by the Bouygues boys. Gautier puts the hammer down with Voeckler right at the back of the group. Comes to nothing, but strange tactics unless Voeckler is cooked and told his teammate to go for it?

Edit: Nope, Tommy V puts the hammer down now. I can understand them both attacking alternately to split the group, but not when one of them is right at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

God damn chalkbot! Lance and Nike destroying something as simple as people painting messages on the ground. Passing through that town and it was message after message in pixelated chalk. Ughh!

Good stage though, bring on the final climb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Looks like a nice part of the country.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Looks like a nice part of the country.

Was in that neck of the woods last month. Lovely area alright. Stayed in Tournus as well. Beautiful little town. Lovely food....they do unbelievable things with cheese sauces in that part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

25km left ,they are letting rip on the decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Was it just me or did the peloton look pretty devoid of other AG2R riders to help Roche up the climb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

uberwolf wrote: »
    my stream just died :(

Have you managed to find a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Was it just me or did the peloton look pretty devoid of other AG2R riders to help Roche up the climb?

Where is Roche? Havent seen him in the main group for a while?

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Have you managed to find a new one?

nope :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ITV4 are brutal.They seem to be commentating on a different feed than what's on the screen, and they're taking a lot of breaks.

Kloden hasn't had his 'Weetabix'.

Also seeing them spray Chavanel from a bottle. How come they don't have a small tank of water, an electric pump and a hose in the team car?

cheating b*stards look at the way the gap from chavannel out front going for yellow was shown as 2min ahead of the yellow jersey [who was shown in the graphic as being in the peloton]

and then a minute later it suddenly jumped to 5 min+ :eek:
    you cant argue and cover up gps data guys, its the tour OF FRANCE and there is \FRENCH rider up the road riding his way into yellow and the 'neutral' race comms are sandbagging the gap....shameless :eek::eek::pac:

Roche in there?

uberwolf wrote: »
    Roche in there?
    Last I saw him, he was still with the main contenders.

*edit* Into the virtual top 10 on the road

snollup wrote: »
    Where is Roche? Havent seen him in the main group for a while?
    He's in there. Just saw him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Roche in main leaders group. No Gadret or Riblon though

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that Contador has only one teammate with him?

He's in there. Just saw him.

Yeah, about 14 or 15 back in the group over the top of the climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great ride from chavanel, chapeau

roche finished 11th

8th overall

twiggo 11th overall

great ride from chavanel, chapeau

chapeau indeed. But Icant help feel why in a way, he'll lose it tomorrow when the gc guys come out to play for real. When he first got it made sense, now not so much, but he obviously has his reasons:)

Yep, top class rider. Delighted for him. Roche surely into top 10 now

Roche confirmed in 8th GC

• Advertisement

great ride by roche

evans not taking yellow today means he is in it for keeps and looking for the overall, despite his run of form practically the whole year including a punishing giro, interesting to see if he can be right up there, clearly he thinks so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Great ride by both Chav and roche. Brilliant to see him in 8th. Hopefully it will boost his confidence more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Great to see Roche up in the top 10 on GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

well happy for Roche with that result today.i didnt get to see any of it,how was Roche on the climbs??.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

well happy for Roche with that result today.i didnt get to see any of it,how was Roche on the climbs??.

He was comfortable in the middle of the lead group, never at the front but nowhere near the back.

A Perfect ride TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Looked strong, would wish Eurosport would give him a bit of airtime.Where's Basso!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

RobFowl wrote: »
    He was comfortable in the middle of the lead group, never at the front but nowhere near the back.

A Perfect ride TBH.

sounds good

imagine how great it would be for him to do well on the stage tomorrow

ooh i cant wait :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Looking at the GC group who came into gether N.Roche should be ringing P Diegnan and getting him to broker a deal with C Sastre as they the only guys with no team riders to help:D

tomorrow will tell a tail , a lot of guys suffered big time today ,teams are falling to bits .the shack .astana looked ok saxo had little to offer schleck .

they will be happy to pull the covers over the heads monday morning .

Advertisement