Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have the right?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I'm sharing a house with another lad and his girlfriend stays here most of the time, I'm just wondering do you think it's right that 2 people pay rent here but 3 people live here.
    Basically what I'm asking is: would I have the right to say I don't want her here all the time but I'd be fine with her here maybe 2 to 3 days a week? Or do I have no say in who stays here and the other lad can let anyone he wants stay for as long as he likes?
    I probobly wouldn't have any problem at all in her staying if I didn't find her so annoying and ignorant.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Yes you have the right,say i,d prefer if she stayed 2/3 days a week.Just be polite and diplomatic about it.IT should BE in the lease/tenancy agreement, no subletting or OTHER persons living here.ie she has no legal right to stay here.
    if no compromise is possible ,just move out ,its a crappy situation.
    this is one reason why tenancy agreements are necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

you have the right to say to your friend that its time to split the rent 3 ways as there are three of you living there .

If he says there is only two ask him about his Girlfriend

He will need to give you an answer

You could also ask him why you are paying half the rent and they are 1/4 each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Been there myself mate its a tricky one, you might loose a friend over it so tread carefully. My guess is that the girl lives at home or shares a room. So she stays over at yours. Yeah you are right but dont go over the top
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 How are ya?

Thanks for the reply's. Spliting the rent 3 ways might be a good idea, do you think it would be cheeky to ask for the bills and sky tv to be split cause I'm sick of coming in to see her sprawled on the couch watching that biggest load of sh1te big brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Where does she live the rest of the time? It sounds like you resent her being there and not just because she isn't paying rent. Realistically, are you going to be appeased if she starts paying towards the rent and bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 How are ya?

She lives with her parents the rest of the time, they're back here tomorrow and I think I'll tell them then but what if she says she's not paying rent and they say she's staying there anyway, I don't want to start a row but what can I do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Had this sitaution myself but luckily we were all renting 5 individual rooms not the house. When it came to utility bills we split them 6 ways instead of 5. Also i had the en suite so i was least affected :D Busy house alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thanks for the reply's. Spliting the rent 3 ways might be a good idea, do you think it would be cheeky to ask for the bills and sky tv to be split cause I'm sick of coming in to see her sprawled on the couch watching that biggest load of sh1te big brother.

If she's not paying utility take the remote when you walk into the room, be too nice and they'll walk on you even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cagney88

This happened to me, but to be fair to my room-mate, he immediately offered to have his other half pay their share of the utilities.

Not sure if Id really expect the girlfriend to pay a share of the rent though.

Utilities should suffice.

Agreed with jerry seinfeld above, being nice unfortunately gets you nowhere. Its our Irish Catholic guilt that makes us push-overs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Whynop

cagney88 wrote: »
    This happened to me, but to be fair to my room-mate, he immediately offered to have his other half pay their share of the utilities.

Not sure if Id really expect the girlfriend to pay a share of the rent though.

Utilities should suffice.

Agreed with jerry seinfeld above, being nice unfortunately gets you nowhere. Its our Irish Catholic guilt that makes us push-overs.

Had to get the anti-Catholic jibe in there didn't you? I wonder would you be so quick as to make smart comments about Jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If she's taking up space on the couch, on the toilet, in the shower, in the fridge, at the kitchen table on a regular basis, why shouldn't she have to pay rent? These are the common areas that the OP shares with his roommate and now another person.

What will probably happen is that she'll get pissed off, and stop coming around so often for about a week, and then it'll be back to normal. Just keep bringing it up. If you lose a friend over this, he wasn't a great friend to begin with because he'd be acting like a dick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Whynop wrote: »
    Had to get the anti-Catholic jibe in there didn't you? I wonder would you be so quick as to make smart comments about Jews?

Sure everyone knows Jews don't feel guilt, look at Israel...occupation of a foreign land, blockades on Gaza, murder of innocent women and children!

Back to the topic..

I would make your excuses and move out. The best that could come out of this is that she actually moves in. It is pretty obvious you dislike the girl already, the situation would only get worse if she moved in. Big Brother 24/7....**** that..

Save yourself a headache and a friendship and find a new place, it's a renter's market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Moving out is a bit extreme considering OP was there first. I would see a problem asking her to pay rent as she could easily say she does not live there full time. But utilities are a different story, she does use the facilitities and so should be expected to pay her way. Otherwise the mate will just have to pay for her keep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I think they are taking the p*ss.
    The OP lives there, pays the rent etc and yet she feels she has the right to monopolise the TV, couch etc....that's really not on and I'd want to strangle her and her boyfriend for allowing it!
    I really don't understand how some people have such neck & lack of manners.

You are going to have to say something OP.

Advertisement