Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get broadband : Pair Gains Splitter?

• 09-07-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering if the might that is the boards community could help me with this! A couple of months ago, I decided to get broadband. I live on a cul-de-sac and the house below me has wired broadband, so I was confident the it would be a simple matter of calling Eircom and getting it sorted. They put my order through and I got my router, but on the day I got my router, I got a call and was told that I would be unable to receive broadband after all. From what I gathered from the customer service rep, I don't really have a full line to myself. i am basically piggy-backing off my neighbour's line. A bit of research on the net, and I reckon he was talking about a pair-gains splitter, which would mean no DSL for me alright. My house was built in 2005 though and I remember reading that Eircom are not allowed to use pair-gain splitters anymore for new customers as it would prevent them from receiving DSL. Is that true? I have Vodafone 3G broadband now and am tied into a contract there, but I would much prefer proper broadband when that contract is up! Eircom have told me that the only way this will happen is if they put down a whole new line, which they flatly told me they are not going to do. Any help/advice would be appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A pair-gain, or line splitter, will kill your chances of getting DSL. They are not supposed to be installed any more, by directive from Comreg, except in cases where no lines are available from the exchange. If that's the case, then you'll never get it removed. If you ask eircom to remove it, they have to, but again only if there is a line free for you to use.

If eircom are telling you they need to run a new line, then it's probable that all dedicated lines are used. Highly unlikely (impossible) that you'll get anywhere with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Cheers for the reply. Yeah, sounds like it'd be pointless. Bit of a farce really that I'll be unable to get DSL for possibly a long time! Surely there must be others in this position too? There's no way of forcing Eircom to lay a new line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Rope and a fast car

Rope and a fast car

seems to be the only way to get eircom to do anything. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

order new line and broadband in a bundle.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    order new line and broadband in a bundle.

I was thinking that, but wouldn't they just say that they can't provide broadband and split the existing line? It would cost them the same to lay a new line for an existing customer as it would for a new one and I don't think Eircom are that desperate for new customers.

Schorpio wrote: »
    It would cost them the same to lay a new line for an existing customer as it would for a new one and I don't think Eircom are that desperate for new customers.

They are desperate, you may find that a full pair is now available because so many of their customers have abandoned them. You also have a comeback because when you order a bundle it is clear that you want a line for broadband. If they supply you with a split line after you order a broadband bundle then they cannot get a penny out of you.

Ordering a new line on its own could result in a pairgain being installed of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, they offered me free install and free line rental!

He admitted the "free rental" was only for a period of time and then claimed eircom was going to abolish line rental soon. (Some time after they get rid of 1/3rd staff and most of 4.7 Billion Debt, I'd imagine, if pigs are flying through snow in a frozen subterranean place).

watty wrote: »
    Yes, they offered me free install and free line rental!

They are generally offering free install for line and broadband on a permanent basis nowadays. Ensure that you print a copy of the current special offer which is always in the pricing HERE in case there is a billing mistake that needs querying which affects about 50% of installs nowadays.

Most premises have a line which is reactivated ( named "in situ") , in this case the OP needs a new "exchange line" to their premises and must say they have none...which is true coz they only have half a line.

These apply even within a bundle order. The applicable promotion is

"eircom Residential PSTN Standard Connection Promotion
    Promotional Period : 29th March 2010 to 28th September 2010(inclusive)"

Which means a new line is free right now ...but read notes 6 and 7

"6. A Standard PSTN Connection is one where the telephone service cannot be activated remotely, but requires manual intervention by an eircom
    technician, whether inside or outside of the premises where the service is required.
    7. Under the Universal Service Obligation (USO) regulations, eircom is obliged to provide service up to a “cost of provision” threshold of €7,000. For the duration of the above promotion, the connection fee of €107.43 (ex VAT) is waived, but this threshold will remain in place. Therefore, where the cost to eircom of provisioning service exceeds €7,000, the applicant will be required to meet the costs above that threshold in order for the service to be provided."

Order online, deal with them only in writing. If they ring you tell them to email , if they fail to email raise a formal complaint .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    7. Under the Universal Service Obligation (USO) regulations, eircom is obliged to provide service up to a “cost of provision” threshold of €7,000. For the duration of the above promotion, the connection fee of €107.43 (ex VAT) is waived, but this threshold will remain in place. Therefore, where the cost to eircom of provisioning service exceeds €7,000, the applicant will be required to meet the costs above that threshold in order for the service to be provided."

Cheers for the replies lads, I'm really glad I started this thread!

Isn't there a possibility that the costs involved with putting down a new line could exceed €7000? In that case I'd be billed for any amount over the 7 grand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Schorpio wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies lads, I'm really glad I started this thread!

Isn't there a possibility that the costs involved with putting down a new line could exceed €7000? In that case I'd be billed for any amount over the 7 grand...

You'd be told up front if there is anything for you to pay, not billed afterwards.

If they try to bill you for €7000+ for a smidgeen of copper you may then go to Comreg and complain. You will find that where they are chancing their arm with €7000+ installs that you never get anything in writing and that phone calls come from fellas with no caller id and with lots of silly excuses.

Of course there are genuine €7000+ installs where maybe 20 poles would be required @ €400 each to get up the driveway to southfork ranch. Rarely in urban/village areas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And if the fields are your own is it much cheaper to provide your own poles & wire if you have the gear, and have a small hut for eircom to install at if they won't use your infrastructure?

watty wrote: »
    And if the fields are your own is it much cheaper to provide your own poles & wire if you have the gear, and have a small hut for eircom to install at if they won't use your infrastructure?

No, it shouldn't be a question of new poles surely? I already have a landline coming to the house.

Someone I know recently got DSL some 5 years after his exchange was enabled, he got chatting in the pub and bought a few pints and someone got sent out to chase down the pairs and bypass the splitter. 5 years later :(

Advertisement