Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cricket Club...

Options
  • 09-07-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

in riverstown or riverside, only caught a quick look at the flying earlier, anyone know anymore about it, where it is, what kind of level their looking for

might be a chance to resurrect a very old school interest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hey,

The club was set up just over a year ago as far as I know. I remember chatting to the lad who was involved at the start.

They have a website here where all info can be found
    http://sligocricket.com/

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Am I the only one that finds Ireland's new found Anglophila mildy cringeworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

are you refering to ireland interest in cricket, or irelands interest in anglo culture generally

in relation to cricket, wouldn't call it that new, has been played here since the 1800's, fair enough was introduced to us by the english, but the irish governing body was formed in 1923, and we have been a member of the international governing body since 1993, ireland good progress in the last cricket WC highlighted it to the nation, i my self didn't even know we had a cricket team before then

what is it you find cringeworthy if you mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

irish-stew wrote: »
    are you refering to ireland interest in cricket, or irelands interest in anglo culture generally

in relation to cricket, wouldn't call it that new, has been played here since the 1800's, fair enough was introduced to us by the english, but the irish governing body was formed in 1923, and we have been a member of the international governing body since 1993, ireland good progress in the last cricket WC highlighted it to the nation, i my self didn't even know we had a cricket team before then

what is it you find cringeworthy if you mind me asking?

no its definately new found. It wasnt Irish people playing cricket before 1993 and you have kind of proved my point in your last line of that paragraph.

What do I find cringeworthy about it? I find brainwashed lapdog's cringeworthy in general.

no its definately new found. It wasnt Irish people playing cricket before 1993 and you have kind of proved my point in your last line of that paragraph.

What do I find cringeworthy about it? I find brainwashed lapdog's cringeworthy in general.

i understand that i may have proved your point with my last line, i personally didn't know ireland had a cricket team prior to the WC, and in the 10 plus years i have been here, i have very rarly seen it being played, however there may have been others that did, tbh, i had to get the above stats from wiki. i myself have had an interest in the sport long long before that, may not have played it since i was in school (late 80's to mid 90's) but i still follow the odd match and the ashes series

but its like alot of things, if a country does well at something it can catch the imagine of the public in general and draw it to their attention, and maybe sometimes get more people playing or following that sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

Cricket was massive in Ireland in all of the counties where hurling is now played, Offally had the best team

Hey,

The club was set up just over a year ago as far as I know. I remember chatting to the lad who was involved at the start.

They have a website here where all info can be found
    http://sligocricket.com/

Good Luck

had a look at that website, not sure if it was the same place i seen advertised, the flyer i seen seemed to suggest they were a new club

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

irish-stew wrote: »
    had a look at that website, not sure if it was the same place i seen advertised, the flyer i seen seemed to suggest they were a new club

:confused:

Oh right, thats strange. I would be very surprised if there was another club set up in the Sligo area. They were looking for grounds for a pitch for a while so maybe they got it and didnt update the website. Maybe give the contact number a shout.

If ya have no luck let me know as I have the number of someone who im sure is on the commitee

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

The only reason I got into cricket was in the 70's and the early 80's the West Indies used to constantly hammer sh** out of the Engerland team. Used to bring a smile to the face seeing a 120mph Malcolm Marshall delivery smash the nose of a crappy English player before Viv Richards smashed the bowlers all over the park
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cricket was widely played in Ireland during the 19th century. Tipperary in particular had teams in most villages and people from all political and religious backgrounds played and watched the game. In the late 19th century, the GAA heavily promoted hurling and football and indicated that to play "foreign" sports was unpatriotic. Hurling all but vanished apart from in large urban areas.
    I remember in the very early eighties that cricket was quite popular with kids around town. I saw many games played with a bat made from plywood and a tennis ball, with stumps made from branches or painted on a wall.
    I only watch when Ireland are playing because I follow enough sports already, but it's a more enjoyable game to actually play than you may think.
    Good luck with the club FredFunk. Riverstown is the perfect sort of place for a cricket ground.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64PAw7NT3k
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Just to make it clear County Sligo Cricket Club has nothing to do with the flyers going around about Riverstown. If you want more info email info@sligocricket.com All welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

We used to play up in Summerhill at lunch time,two years ago :D Was good craic,a lot of us hadn't a clue what was going on,we were all introduced into it by some Pakistani lads in the school who were mad into playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dave.medlyn

hi there , i used to be a member of this club i opened the bowling and batted well down the order and i have had enough of the attitude of certain members of the club.
    we where thrown out of the connaught league and the dick o'neal cup for cheating and violent disorder at a match against nuig at the county galway ground. there is a streak of cheating that permeates this club and this behaviour is tolerated by most of the members. you just have to look at their national team!!!!!
    the main trouble makers were asked to leave and they then started riverstown cricket club.
    what a shambles!!!!! this is not cricket that i remember and love!!!
    good luck with the team
    regards a disgruntled fast bowler:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I see your dislike of "Anglophila" does not extend to using English, why not express yourself in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

So is 'Anglophilia' when you like it best shagging English people or people who speak English? :rolleyes:

I reckon it's the former...

Though I reckon the term 'Anglophobia' has to be used in context with our current fiscal crisis and not when describing how one hates the Brits like.

But, yes, cricket, ehm, ok, that's fine with me.

Same as soccer/football really innit? Foreign game.m So what?
    They always make nice tea apparently and if it's one thing we can all agree on it is that tea is good yes?

Advertisement