Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D300 for 500quid

• 09-07-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a 1 year ago rarely used boxed Nikon D300 body only for 500quid, with 2 batts. Worth it or not?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'd say a few people here will spit coffee at their monitor when they hear that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Jump at it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i paid €800 for one recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Buy it even if you don't want it! There's a quick profit to be made at the very least :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

No its just I would like to buy semi pro DSLR, and Should I go for the D300 which is getting old now, even though its only 500quid. Or should I go for a Canon model! Opinions please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

D3000? Maybe? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jock101 wrote: »
    Should I go for the D300 which is getting old now, even though its only 500quid.
    same resolution as the D300s, which is still current. doesn't have video, though. and the price you've been quoted is about 1/3 the high street price in ireland of a new D300s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Now that's a different question!

Have you any Canon or Nikon gear already? It's true the D300 will probably be replaced next year (in fact the D300s has already improved on it a bit) but it's still a super camera and if you've outgrown it's capabilities, you're doing well. I'd say at that price, all other things being equal, it's good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I have a D300, and it can still do waaay more than I'll ever need or want. Newer cameras will always come along, but you'll only be paying extra because it has more pixels, or features - and not because it will take a better picture.

I know a good few photographers who use a Nikon D70, and their work is fantastic!
    Remember, you only need about 4.5mp to print a really good A4 size photo, and who really prints any bigger than that???
    The D300 is a 12.3mp camera, with a great noiseless image - what more do you really want?

If you don't want it, I know someone in my camera club that would love it, and happily pay €500!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

D300 for €500?

<drinks mouthful of water>

<splurts out water>

Jump on it. If not, send it this way. I'll jump all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Definitely go for it, love my D300 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

mrmac wrote: »
    I have a D300, and it can still do waaay more than I'll ever need or want. Newer cameras will always come along, but you'll only be paying extra because it has more pixels, or features - and not because it will take a better picture.

I know a good few photographers who use a Nikon D70, and their work is fantastic!
    Remember, you only need about 4.5mp to print a really good A4 size photo, and who really prints any bigger than that???
    The D300 is a 12.3mp camera, with a great noiseless image - what more do you really want?

If you don't want it, I know someone in my camera club that would love it, and happily pay €500!

No I agree, just wondering should a pay more for a new DSLR and get newer tech. If so want would be a good option? Oh HD video is not important, as I think a DSLR is for pics not vids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Buy the D300, and put any extra money into buying good quality lenses, then you'll have a fantastic combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Think of it this way, the next best thing is the excellent D300s, but the bodies are essentially the same, barring HD video and some small tweaks. The money you save buying the D300 instead of a new D300s (or higher) can be then invested in lenses to suit.

Excellent camera, new glass. Win-win.

Edit: damn typing on an iPhone, mrmac got in before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

No I agree, just wondering should a pay more for a new DSLR and get newer tech. If so want would be a good option? Oh HD video is not important, as I think a DSLR is for pics not vids.

Until you are at the very top level there is always going to be a more expensive camera out there. As said before the higher pixels arent really needed tbh. Also a top of the range camera isnt going to make you any better at photography, if you understand everything that you need then you will know which camera suits you. The d300 will give you amongst others a large image, good iso, easy handling, and so so so much more.

If you dont want it there are plenty of us here that would be happy to pay €500 for one, I paid €900 last year getting mine off Eas when he was changing to full frame, the camera was practically brand new and it was the deal of the century at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I have been offered a 1 year ago rarely used boxed Nikon D300 body only for 500quid, with 2 batts. Worth it or not?:confused:

If it is in perfect condition, buy it. If you don't like it, put
    it on adverts.ie for $501. It shouldn't take more than a few
    nanoseconds to find a buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Are you into trends? or good equipment?

Who cares if there's a newer version out or upcoming? Unless you really need the newer features on the updated versions ... what is the issue? that is a steal! You'll barely get a D5000 for that used.

BUY!

If MP count is a serious issue ... buy a high end compact ffs! :P

Advertisement