Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer cant see new external HDD

• 09-07-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have a new Buffalo external portable 500GB HDD, and my compiter cant see it properly. When I go to AdMin Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management, I can see the disk. It is registering 467GB free, but it does not have a drive letter assigned to it and when I right click on it, all of the functions are greyed out. This means that I cant assign a drive letter or format the disk. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BlueSpud wrote: »
    I have a new Buffalo external portable 500GB HDD, and my compiter cant see it properly. When I go to AdMin Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management, I can see the disk. It is registering 467GB free, but it does not have a drive letter assigned to it and when I right click on it, all of the functions are greyed out. This means that I cant assign a drive letter or format the disk. Any ideas?

Yeah, Re-Install or update your Anti-Virus software. I had the same problem last month with a new USB flash drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Thanks for the help. I tried that but no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If it shows in disk management its there, if its unused space You probably need to format it for Your pc to see it, this gives it a drive letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe you need to add a partition first ? I dont have any empty disks to try this on, then when you have a partion(s) you can format. If you don't want the default drive letter, prob e:, you can choose one, the disk will then always be on that letter, but only for that pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yeah, Re-Install or update your Anti-Virus software. I had the same problem last month with a new USB flash drive..

How would antivirus software have anything to do with mass storage device drivers/event handling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Naikon wrote: »
    How would antivirus software have anything to do with mass storage device drivers/event handling?

No idea, I got two new memory sticks, neither would work, but older ones i had would work, I did some online research on the matter, came across some comments that suggest this solution, and tried it and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Is everything (and i mean everything) completely greyed out. Surely the help option isn't for example. Can you go to properties?

Do you have a live cd of some sort you can just try see if you have access on?
    Check in device manager that drivers are properly installed. (no little yellow question mark next to a disk)

Most importantly, are you logged in as admin or restricted user.

Naikon wrote: »
    As unusual as it might sound i think I've seen this happen before on my own pc. Just turned the anti virus off and the drive mounted fine. I'm assuming they're badly implemented features that are supposed to block access to a drive if it detects a threat on it.

Advertisement