Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 Tullamore Bypass "fails skid test"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I drove it last night and noticed there seemed to be alot of surface water. But it was no worse than any of the M4/M6 I came down from Dublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A lot of the new motorways/bypasses have bucket loads of surface water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

A 'Drive With Care' sign where it's specifically known that there is a skid risk? Seems crazy to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

If the surface is SMA or porous asphalt, they don't achieve full skid resistance until the coating is worn off the top layer of stone, doesn't take long. When the material was new in the UK, slippery road signs were common, don't think they bother any more.

Of course if they've used stone with too low a PSV, that's a different matter entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just proves that the Tullamore bypass has really really low AADT because it was a political pet project and shouldnt have been touched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

101sean wrote: »
    If the surface is SMA or porous asphalt, they don't achieve full skid resistance until the coating is worn off the top layer of stone, doesn't take long. When the material was new in the UK, slippery road signs were common, don't think they bother any more.

Of course if they've used stone with too low a PSV, that's a different matter entirely

I think NRA prohibits use of SMA on high speed sections. Dont know if Porous is used here.

How come they only established/ made this public this now? Surely they would have had to haave done this test before the road oppened to traffic? no?

Advertisement