Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem and Phones

• 09-07-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post - mods please move where you think is right.

I got my UPC broadband installed, and it's been great all week.

I'm not a fan of their modem/router though. Have had issues with torrents, and a few other things as well as it being only 54g wifi, etc.
    So have switched it to bridged mode so I can use my DIR-655 as the main router.

Unfortunately I think in doing this I clobber the phone out of the modem/router and thus render it useless..

I have reset the router and I do get a dial tone if I leave it boot up. But switch it into bridge mode and it's gone.

Anyone else seen/experienced this?
    If so, how did you get around it?

This strikes me as being a bit dumb, or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Been looking around at my problem...
    This does seem to be incorrect functionality.

Would be great if someone could confirm that their phone works with bridging enabled (I know there are a few of you out there).

I'm going to push UPC for the old modem, and not the router/modem in the morning. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you want to use your own router you need them to supply the other cable modem with just phone ports and 1 ethernet and no router built in.

watty wrote: »
    If you want to use your own router you need them to supply the other cable modem with just phone ports and 1 ethernet and no router built in.

You are correct

No can do on replacing it though (might try chancing my luck again on Monday) - guy on the techsupport line is adamant that they don't have the modems in stock any more - just the routers..

The hunt has started for someone selling off theirs. Asked about adding a modem and it needs to be one they have supplied apparently...

Pity as I was thinking of picking up one of the Motorola DOCSIS3 modems when I'm in the US in a couple of week.

UPC owns them. They won't provision one you obtain yourself.
    RikD wrote: »
    Asked about adding a modem and it needs to be one they have supplied [direct to you] apparently...

I'm not a fan of the Motorola ones.

I'd expect ANY 2nd hand cable modem is essentially "stolen".

I've tested many cable modems (not on UPC or any other Cable company but in a lab), and others I wanted to test couldn't be tested as there was no way to provision them easily. The ones tested had all to be put manually and individually into the management/Provisioning system. It's not like DSL :)

watty wrote: »
    I've tested many cable modems (not on UPC or any other Cable company but in a lab), and others I wanted to test couldn't be tested as there was no way to provision them easily. The ones tested had all to be put manually and individually into the management/Provisioning system. It's not like DSL :)
    Understood.
    I did ask the tech support guy and he said if I could get my hands on one of the SA modems it can be provisioned.
    Fingers crossed - I see 2 on adverts...

• Advertisement

Uncommonly kind of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

What modem/router did you get off UPC?

Got a Cisco EPC2425 wireless modem/router.
    My work VPN crashes it
    Torrenting locks it up
    And my PS3 gets wicked lag even with firewall off, in DMZ, port forwarding, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah i have the same man and have no trouble (most of the time) with the phone, instead of bridging the connections set the epc2425 as your moedem and your DIR-655 as the router.

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah i have the same man and have no trouble (most of the time) with the phone, instead of bridging the connections set the epc2425 as your moedem and your DIR-655 as the router.
    how do you mean?
    This is what I have done - i.e. in the Gateway setting I have set it to Bridged which means that the modem/router is the modem and the DIR-655 simply uses it to get the IP address from UPC.

What have you done differently?

• Advertisement

My final post on this issue.
    I tracked down an EPC2203 via adverts for €15 + p&p
    Got it today, phoned up UPC and provided the CM MAC address, and they provisioned it.
    Was up and running with 15mins and my phones work!!

Seriously satisfied customer at the moment :)

Anyone want a hunk-a-junk EPC2425 for free (just p&p)? - lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

RikD wrote: »
    Anyone want a hunk-a-junk EPC2425 for free (just p&p)? - lol

Did they not ask for it back then? It says a lot about the quality of the modem when UPC don't even want them ;)

Was it tech support, or customer support that you rang to get the new one provisioned?

it was broadband tech support.
    Explained to the person I had acquired the modem, and she got it provisioned within 10mins. I just gave the CM MAC.

And yeah - no asking for the old router, so just sums up what it costs them to provide it.

Advertisement