Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Martins/ Alfie Hales

• 09-07-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Notice both these closed pubs down by Lombard street have builders and painters working on them. Are they reopening or just trying to avoid dereliction orders. Anyone know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The owner of Bill Martins wants someone to go in and run the place again.

I did hear (some weeks back) that alfies is reopening again.

The Bowery is close to being sold, but not yet. (Have to laugh at the people who said it was DEFINITELY sold and langtons has it. Guess what...it's nearly sold...but it aint Langtons.)

Masons will be run by new people this time next month...

Rubys and Muldoons will officially have their new owners bull dozing in on the 19th of July.
    I'm opening a new super bar in the old cinema.

The owner of Kitty Kearnans was a bit prematture announcing to the populace that a new breath of fresh air night club was hitting the city soon. It won't be.

One of the above pieces of information is a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

The Bowery is close to being sold, but not yet. (Have to laugh at the people who said it was DEFINITELY sold and langtons has it. Guess what...it's nearly sold...but it aint Langtons.)

Rubys and Muldoons will officially have their new owners bull dozing in on the 19th of July.

The owner of Kitty Kearnans was a bit prematture announcing to the populace that a new breath of fresh air night club was hitting the city soon. It won't be.

i,m guessing the lie is that your opening a super pub in the old cinema lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

People other than the Carlow crowd? (I know this should really be in the Tweedy thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The carlow people bought rubys and Muldoons. Nothing to do with masons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Masons is being leased out by the bank for the foreseeable future.

Ledger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I hear the FBD (tower hotel) have Alfies,plans for a club linked to the tower building by a over head walkway, and the Hi Bi did get a derelict notice act , proper order

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I hear the FBD (tower hotel) have Alfies,plans for a club linked to the tower building by a over head walkway, and the Hi Bi did get a derelict notice act , proper order

I think your right about the tower buying Alfies and plans for turning it into a club (was talking to someone that works there yesterday) but I havn't seen any planning permission for the proposed bridge over too it. I could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

As in a night club?

I think FBD own the whole block were the tower is, I heard that during the boom they were going to knock the whole thing and build a new hotel no doubt any plans are scraped at this stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nice one, I knew Langtons defo bought the Bowery.

Best of luck with the super bar dude, but its a bit daft to open it in the current climate and all. :pac:

Twould be a nice view down onto Johns River. I'd imagine it would be hugely expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Just throw up some rusty scaffolding and a few planks. It'll be grand. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are you seriously entertaining the idea of a walkway to a club that would essentially be in an even worse location than a club that had to close because of its location?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

AdMMM wrote: »
    Are you seriously entertaining the idea of a walkway to a club that would essentially be in an even worse location than a club that had to close because of its location?!

Don't understand why clubs should have to close because of location when it's the same difference for most people in Waterford and beyond to drive/taxi/walk to Alfies as to the junction (slightly further from estates around lisduggan, slightly closer to Dunmore rd. estates, what's the difference?).

Are we talking some kind of psychological distance here?

There was a time when the clubs were actually spread out in Waterford...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

merlante wrote: »
    Don't understand why clubs should have to close because of location when it's the same difference for most people in Waterford and beyond to drive/taxi/walk to Alfies as to the junction (slightly further from estates around lisduggan, slightly closer to Dunmore rd. estates, what's the difference?).

Are we talking some kind of psychological distance here?

There was a time when the clubs were actually spread out in Waterford...

Waterford people are lazy when it comes to clubs. I'm surprised they're doing this to be honest. There's no market for it at the moment (even with students).

The Forum has lasted for a good while and is away from the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Adyx wrote: »
    Waterford people are lazy when it comes to clubs. I'm surprised they're doing this to be honest. There's no market for it at the moment (even with students).

Yes, but it's lazy minded then, not physically lazy. A kind of psychological inertia. Alfies is closer for many Waterford city residents than the junction, and vica versa. When you're in a car or taxi, there is no difference. When you are walking the difference is minimal. So really we are talking about a kind of "ah it's all the way down there, boy" kind of odd psychological thing where people feel they are moving away from the 'entertainment zone' and into a wilderness. For the same reason, probably, some people keep forgetting that the Forum exists. This mentality is really odd and hard to explain, and unique to Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ok, I've not been home for a while (once in last 7 months) but I'm making the journey back soon, what exactly is open at the mo as regards pubs, clubs from the Wacky Apple down to Rubys???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

kfallon wrote: »
    Ok, I've not been home for a while (once in last 7 months) but I'm making the journey back soon, what exactly is open at the mo as regards pubs, clubs from the Wacky Apple down to Rubys???

Geoffs (Don't tell Ziedth)
    The Wacky Apple
    Kazbar
    Revolution
    Escape Niteclub
    Ruby Lounge
    Rubys Niteclub
    The Woodman
    Twister Vicks
    Dignity
    Masons
    Harveys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

merlante wrote: »
    Yes, but it's lazy minded then, not physically lazy. A kind of psychological inertia. Alfies is closer for many Waterford city residents than the junction, and vica versa. When you're in a car or taxi, there is no difference. When you are walking the difference is minimal. So really we are talking about a kind of "ah it's all the way down there, boy" kind of odd psychological thing where people feel they are moving away from the 'entertainment zone' and into a wilderness. For the same reason, probably, some people keep forgetting that the Forum exists. This mentality is really odd and hard to explain, and unique to Waterford.

Certainly it is psychological, what is it a 2 minute walk from John St. to the Bowery? But that is the mentality in Waterford today. It's not just about the distance either as people just seem to stick with what they know or where they know their friends are. If I'm honest, I'm guilty myself since I never go to the Forum despite it being "my type" of place.

It's not just this laziness though. People are going out later and later and a mainstream club (which I assume this Tower Hotel would be) is unlikely to get a decent crowd until after 12 these days. Combined with this is that only Saturday nights are busy. It's a brave person who thinks opening a club in Waterford at the moment is viable.

Odats wrote: »
    Geoffs (Don't tell Ziedth)
    The Wacky Apple
    Kazbar
    Revolution
    Escape Niteclub
    Ruby Lounge
    Rubys Niteclub
    The Woodman
    Twister Vicks
    Dignity
    Masons
    Harveys

Cheers! So nowhere has really closed then!
    Wtf is 'Escape', the old Oxygen/Merlins???

Is Club LA or The Roxy still going :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

Bring back Preachers! Best club ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

kfallon wrote: »
    Cheers! So nowhere has really closed then!
    Wtf is 'Escape', the old Oxygen/Merlins???

Is Club LA or The Roxy still going :P

Escape is the niteclub over Revolution. Oxygen is closed with Muldoons. Club LA is Masons. The Roxy is long gone.

Odats wrote: »
    Escape is the niteclub over Revolution. Oxygen is closed with Muldoons. Club LA is Masons. The Roxy is long gone.

What does The Boc do for gigs now...... :D

Advertisement