Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA: "Goal-Line technology a possibility in the next 12 months"

• 09-07-2010 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an interview on SSN right now, who are reporting this. Here's a Telegraph article
    Frank Lampard's disallowed goal for England against Germany in their World Cup last 16 game has increased the clamour for an improved refereeing system to be introduced.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already said goal-line technology, talk of which was shelved at an International FA Board meeting in March, will be back on the agenda at Fifa meetings later in the year.

And Valcke today told Sky Sports News he was not opposed to it as a system.

He said: "Goal-line technology is something you can use because it gives definitely the chance for the referee to understand the ball is in when he cannot always see it, as we have seen during this World Cup.
    "That's an alternative we can work on for the future."
    Another alternative Fifa have not ruled out is the use of extra referees, which is set for another two seasons of trials following its use in the Europa League last year.
    Asked if either that of goal-line technology could be used at the next World Cup in Brazil in 2014, Valcke said: "There is a real chance. I think the system we have today will not be the same in 2014.
    "If you have a system which gives you the chance to make sure that, if the ball is in, the referee should know it and should just give the goal, that's something which has to be done.
    "I have no problem with that. The goal-line technology, I don't think that's a big deal.
    "I'm personally against the video (replays) - that's as a fan, I'm not talking as the secretary general of Fifa.
    "As a fan I don't think the video is good for the game. I think it would kill the game."
    The use of goal-line technology could be okayed in principle by IFAB at their meeting in March.
    "For the additional assistant referees the final decision will be with the IFAB in 2012, for the goal-line technology, any time," said Valcke. "In the March meeting the decision could be made."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

About time they saw sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Goal line tech would only help in situations like the Lampard one. It will not help in incidents like the Henry handball or diving, penalty decisions ect... I think Fifa are just doing somthing, as little as possible to keep people quiet...

"Goal line" technology is a cop out by Fifa

What about offside goals? sending offs? Penaltys etc etc.

I'd love to blatter Sepp !

Advertisement