Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Setup

Options
  • 09-07-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

What bits and bobs do you use for recording, editing or streaming? Also, post where you got it (and how much if you can remember)...And maybe an example or two of your work.

I have only recorded some offline Street Fighter events. Use my trusty Panasonic SDR-H81 and Tripod. Use CyberLink PowerDirector just to tidy up bits and pieces (length, etc). Haven't recorded anything too complicated / put the montages together that I would like to. I have much to learn!

To illustrate the quality of setup:

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I use a hd pvr , used to use sony vegas pro 9 for editing but its gone belly up on me.
    I got the pvr for about 195 euro , their european base is in dublin.
    I downloaded sony vegas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, being powered by a Dell XPS with a few drives to record seamlessly. I record mainly on PS3 but through the 360 via HDMI. Here's a video of Modern Warfare 2, which was converted to MP4 to save space before being uploaded. Once converted it still retains the same HD quality as before, which is nice:

I also use an EasyCap for recording composite consoles like PS2 and such, and I have a spare XLR8 iGrabber for recording with the Mac. Not sure if it still works to be honest, if it does I might end up giving it away as I don't use it at all anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I do a variety of guerrila videoing of fighting game matches with my samsung SC-MX20 camera (affectionately known as the "doomcam") and tripod.

I use MPEG streamclip to tidy it up and to convince youtube to allow me HD quality in the upload.

So obviously I can have alot of variance in quality:

I'm throwing up ALOT of videos in short order so if anyone knows of a hyper quick way to improve the quality I am all ears.

We're talking of moving to a hauppage PVR soon, looking forward to that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I play everything via the PC, so it's pretty easy to record whatever I want really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

My setup really all depends on what platform I'm on and what it is I'm actually recording.

My general recording program for almost anything on the PC is FRAPS.

Ranging from random gameplay videos I decide to record on the spur of the moment because of the hilarity of the context:

Random gameplay videos for showing off:

Or recording emulators as part of Let's Plays:

However, recently I've given it a shot recording my TF2 gameplay videos via in-game demo before rendering them in Source Recorder. Mainly so that I don't have to be recording fully with FRAPS in case something happens, rather I can just record from the demo, which is WAY smaller.

I edit with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0. I edit 720p videos for my Let's Plays and the Source Recorder videos, but edit at my native 1440x900 resolution for other videos.

I hope to acquire an Intensity Pro soon so that I can record my 360 gameplay and start throwing up a few videos of that (including MW2 :P) and/or some Let's Plays on that console.

Now, my old school methods for recording my DS? I first started with my Sony DSC-W35 digital camera, and it was really crap :P
    Then I moved onto my Canon HF100 and a better general setup so I had better quality video and perfect audio.
    Now I just use a PC emulator and my camcorder is for general real life videos, although I would still probably use it for the odd video of gameplay I may take while out and about, like in college or at conventions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I use a HD PVR for recording my PS3 and the easycap for everything else. the PVR will record all my SD stuff too, but I don't like to mess with the settings and jsut rather use the easycap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Myself and sisko from the fighting game forum recently held a team tournament in street fighter in order to test out direct recording. Direct recording can be quite difficult for fighting games since lag is a huge issue, even if we're only talking milliseconds.

For that reason its not always the best idea to just capture the consoles output and process/output at the same time (maybe a hauppauge can do that efficiently but as of now we can't afford one!). So we try to split the output and send one signal to tv and one to a recording device.

Amazingly enough, the xbox360 component cable can actually do this out of the box :eek: Not many people know this but by setting the output to 480i, the component cable actually outputs simultaneously through the component and composite connectors. We sent one to tv and one to a camcorder that accepts s-video input (we converted composite to s-video). The result is here:

At the same time we used the "DoomCam" mentioned above to record the players as they were playing. The videos were then edited using adobe premier. The only problem is that the video signal to the tv was a bit dodgy (it was a component connection carrying a 480i signal to a tv who's native resolution is 720). It didn't look pretty and was a bit laggy.

However, our next attempt will involve a grand hand view which i just ordered. It will take VGA input (from an xbox vga cable) and will output to VGA and s-video/composite simultaneously. The good thing is that the VGA signal is a direct passthrough, so it is lag-free. Also, this way we can get a direct s-video connection to the camcorder (instead of a composite connection converted to s-video). This should give us videos of equal or better quality to that posted above while being lag-free. And not only that, we could also run another output to a projector for bigger tournaments. Will update more if it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I really like the editing on that video, nice work :)

Tallon wrote: »
    I really like the editing on that video, nice work :)

yeah its cool, all credit goes to sisko!

animaX wrote: »

I think I remember that day. Myself and a couple of anime nerd friends turned up to "poach" some of our friends away from you lot...

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I think I remember that day.

You saw history in the making my friend :D

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I hope to acquire an Intensity Pro soon so that I can record my 360 gameplay and start throwing up a few videos of that (including MW2 :P) and/or some Let's Plays on that console.

Well, that's arrived so now I have the opportunity to record my 360 gameplay and publish it in places!

I just wish that YouTube could accept massively huge files. This eight-and-a-half minute test run took up 5.34gigs, was a little annoyed that I couldn't upload it straight.

But hey, that's much ****ing better disk space to video length ratio than what FRAPS gives me (3.9gigs can vary somewhere between 1:40 to 3:00 if I'm lucky)

Advertisement