Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Startup Problem

• 09-07-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am having a problem getting my PC to boot.

What happens is either it won't boot at all initially or partially boot and then the power will cut out completely.

Basically what I do to get it working is to blow hot air from a hair-dryer into the power supply first and then start-up the computer. This normally allows the computer to completely boot and run for a while. Eventually the power in the computer will cut completely for an unknown reason. I think the thermometer in the power supply is screwed up and cutting the power. Well that's my guess any way.

At the moment I am planning to order a new power supply but I want to make sure it is not something else that could be causing the problem that I have not thought of. So do you guys have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Check your case for loose metal components. Otherwise, replace your power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

No loose components. Went through it today to make sure everything was connected properly.

Do you know any good websites for ordering a new power supply from? The case I am using is a Shuttle XPC Model SD37P2. Or would it be cheaper to just buy a new case a salvage the CPU, Graphics card, hard drive etc?

Thanks

roar_ie wrote: »
    No loose components. Went through it today to make sure everything was connected properly.

Do you know any good websites for ordering a new power supply from? The case I am using is a Shuttle XPC Model SD37P2. Or would it be cheaper to just buy a new case a salvage the CPU, Graphics card, hard drive etc?

Thanks

Sounds like the power supply I am afraid. The only other explanation is that the cpu/gpu is triggering an interrupt to shut down the computer following overheating.
    Did you add any power hungary components lately? Did you check the fans on the cpu/gpu? Otherwise, komplett.ie do pretty decent power supplies, and they even have
    free shipping at the moment. * EDIT - Blowing air on the power supply means you really need a new power supply *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

Cheers for the advice Naikon. Pretty much as I figured :(

Hopefully I can find a power supply for the case I use.

roar_ie wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice Naikon. Pretty much as I figured :(

Hopefully I can find a power supply for the case I use.

No problem. Good luck with the new power supply. Make sure you avoid the "gamer" types. A decent OEM 400-500 watt would fit the bill if your machine is practically modest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement