Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

team gear - whats the deal?

• 09-07-2010 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

newbie question ; most riders i see on the road have team jersies on em , am i allowed pick a team cos i like the colour? who is good , who is bad?
    who is man u and who is liverpool? who is rangers and who is celtic? i neeeed to know before i get a jersey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

A lot of people on here think it's naff to where team gear but don't listen to them. Go with what you think looks best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I've got a Sean Kelly / An Post hat.. :D

And now a cool new jersey from fellow boardsie dave -

in my case the limiting/deciding factor is whats cheap!

ALTHOUGH I did see someone head to toe in team radioshack gear in phoenix park the other month. After doublechecking to make sure Lance hadn't come back for seconds I decided it was perhaps a bit too much. That said I was also a bit jealous so perhaps I'm not the best marker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

ANVIL33 wrote: »
    ...who is good , who is bad?
    who is man u and who is liverpool? who is rangers and who is celtic?...
    Radioshack = Man U + Rangers....definitely bad.
    As for good, if you're totally happy with your sexuality and want to express it (or something :confused: ) go with Lampre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

GusherING wrote: »
    A lot of people on here think it's naff to where team gear
    Noone has any real problem with wearing bits of team kit. But wearing the entire team kit makes you look like someone who turns up for 5-a-side in full Man Utd gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Go with what ever one takes your fancy. Just dont go over board Jersy and bib shorts are ok. But if you start wearing matching socks & gloves etc. you might get a few funny looks then :P

I personally just buy the Jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Everyone is free to wear whatever they want.

And I am free to judge them.

As a system it works just fine.

I suggest this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

There are meny types of jerseys though, it doesnt have to be a pro team. You could go for plain jerseys, event jerseys, custom jerseys or best of all the Boards jersey:) (2010 kit)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Radioshack = Man U + Rangers....definitely bad.
    As for good, if you're totally happy with your sexuality and want to express it (or something :confused: ) go with Lampre.

I have a Lampre jersey. I also have an even more garish Aqua e Sapone jersey. If it's Italian then pink/garish is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Love it when i see someone in full euro team gear but on the flip side when I see those in their shack and livestrong kits ... it makes me weep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

niceonetom wrote: »
    I suggest this.

What is the quality like of those replica kits from China/Hong Kong, absolutely abysmal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

My rule of thumb is that anything goes as long as the team no longer exists... Other than that, your club kit/boards kit is to be encouraged.

Plastik wrote: »
    What is the quality like of those replica kits from China/Hong Kong, absolutely abysmal?

Absolutely fantastic to be honest,two of my mates got them and I got straight onto ebay to get some for myself ... having said that for forty quid i wont be bothered if they dont last too long anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

No real problem - but think along football rules as mentioned above:
    i.e. playing 5 a side in a team jersey - no problem, but playing in full team kit, inc. socks & shorts is a bit naff.

Personally, sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy older team gear (generally perceived as cooler/ more retro than current gear) than unbranded stuff. Check out wiggle at the moment for some cheap stuff. Was tempted by some older FdJ gear but with a FdJ LaPierre bike it'd be a bit much...:D

Also, any Armstrong gear is controversial - suggests that you're like one of those football fans who crawl out of the woodwork when their team starts winning (a la Man U/Chelsea/Sundireland). I also wouldn't wear kit that I associate with unrepentant doping (e.g. Astana/Discovery/Phonak).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

when did sunderland start winning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

. I also wouldn't wear kit that I associate with unrepentant doping (e.g. Astana/Discovery/Phonak).

i would (its usually cheap after a team has been thrown out mercenary i know)

neris wrote: »
    when did sunderland start winning??

add in "marketing themselves as Irish" and stick Celtic on as well so....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

got good gear off a guy in china on e bay.tried to cheat the rules a little and got the trek/radioshack u23 gear.ordered the white top and black shorts but he sent me a full white gear its a bit bling but at least il be seen on the roads.ah well, anyway just wear what you like and most of all just enjoy your cycling and dont worry what you wear

robs1 wrote: »
    he sent me a full white gear its a bit bling Euro but at least il be seen on the roads.

Just corrected your post there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

very good.euro is that the word.sure one thing is for sure i does not make me go faster.

• Advertisement

Just corrected your post there....

Nothing euro about trek or livestrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ANVIL33

fair enuf , ill kill 2 birds with one stone and wear me man u strip on me bike, sorted

Happy reading: http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/04/official-rules-of-euro-cyclist.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

niceonetom wrote: »
    I suggest this.

Has anyone actually bought this gear off ebay?

£35 for bib shorts and jersey? They seem dirt cheap for a full kit like. So im wondering if the quality is good, in particular with the bib shorts?

If people find them good, then this page could be included into the "I should have left the credit card at home" thread :D

Older FdJ gear available on wiggle for v. low prices if they have your size.
    €30 for 2006 bib shorts and €24 for jersey.

€54 for full Nalini gear is pretty decent i reckon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ANVIL33 wrote: »
    fair enuf , ill kill 2 birds with one stone and wear me man u strip on me bike, sorted

Not Man U but you could do worse than try the Benfica cycling team gear (and yes they are linked to the Football club :D)

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_photos.asp?year=2007&teamcode=slb

_E2X7795a_205.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

murf85 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually bought this gear off ebay?
    £35 for bib shorts and jersey? They seem dirt cheap for a full kit like. So im wondering if the quality is good, in particular with the bib shorts?
    If people find them good, then this page could be included into the "I should have left the credit card at home" thread :D

I bought this set and it seems very good, a lot of the 'official' stuff is made in the far east anyway.

PS Ask me about the jersey zip and the shorts padding quality in 6 months time! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120585090535&Category=158991&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cevans_march15.jpg

wondering where can i buy this jersey?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@monkeyslayer: you're just asking for trouble there.

On the same note, does anyone know if there's going to be an An Post Irish national champions jersey for general sale?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You don't have to buy it. Go to Melbourne in late September and just win a longish race and they'll give you one for free ;)
    Cevans_march15.jpg

wondering where can i buy this jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whilst we are on the topic of jerseys, I know I missed the first order of the new boards.ie jersey, you think there will be a reprint (or whatever you call it for jerseys :pac:)?

!B)WESd!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKiwEwPuEU4,3BMNFRCJmMQ~~_35.JPG

My gf uses this for spins, its Fenerbahce's 3rd kit from the 2007/8 season... it wicking, vented etc and tbh it looks pretty good too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have over 100 soccer jerseys (I collect them), I could never wear one on a spin, just something odd about it.

You calling my gf odd? Careful she has spoken about going to Kilkenny for the tour at the end of the month.....:cool:

You calling my gf odd? Careful she has spoken about going to Kilkenny for the tour at the end of the month.....:cool:

I'll wear my Galatasary jersey so :) I don't need to be careful, I went to the Ali Sami Yen on my own, hardcore I am :D

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    You don't have to buy it. Go to Melbourne in late September and just win a longish race and they'll give you one for free ;)

Cadel was down at the ring of Kerry. He's a bit fatter in real life and he was riding an aluminium Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Anything Lance associated baaaad! Livestrong, RadioShack, Discovery etc.
    Anything TdF branded (yellow jersey, KoM, Green Jersey) just gonna piss people off and make them outrun you (very important if you haven't yet reached full cycling fitness).
    Classic retro jerseys gooooood! Personally I'd give the thumbs-up to anybody wearing one of the old La Vie Claire or PDM jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Classic jerseys are best, my favourites...
    • Z-Peugeot
    • Skill
    • Look/LaVieClare

but avoid teams linked to doping -wait a sec?

I'd avoid current jerseys, but if I had to, it'd be Rapha-Condor (and not Team Columbia-HTC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Whilst we are on the topic of jerseys, I know I missed the first order of the new boards.ie jersey, you think there will be a reprint (or whatever you call it for jerseys :pac:)?

Would also be interested to know?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Spotted one for sale in Cycleways on Monday. Nice jersey!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

snollup wrote: »
    Would also be interested to know?
    Thanks.

Anyone who wants a boards jersey is welcome to organise one for themselves.

Basically, you need to order a minimum of 10 in order to get them at a reasonable cost -easiest way is to post a thread and see if you get 10 orders. You'll then have to organise collecting funds and sorting out the order with Carvalho and distributing them etc.

If you need the carvalho details, PM me and I'll give you the details :)

Boards Jerseys are ordered when an indivdual is fed up waiting for someone else to do it and enough people get behind the idea.
    I didnt get the new one so I'm not sure but I think it was a pretty big order so there may not be another one this year.
    That said at this time of the year the number of posters does increse so if you drop it into a few threads now and again to stir up intrest you may get a few people to order.

edit
    Beaten by Tiny.... you even had figures and offered help, my post failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Or when you go on holidays, you could look for some local cycling jerseys. Instead of a holiday t-shirt, buy a holiday cycling jersey instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I'd Say if you keep a eye out when we receive this batch of jerseys depending on the sizing there could be a few for sale i'm sure there will be some too small/big that people will want to try and swap/sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Always Riding have some nice non-team Jerseys.

I wear a cheapo Lidl Jersey commuting and a Planet-X Jersey the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

daragh_ wrote: »
    Always Riding have some nice non-team Jerseys.

I wear a cheapo Lidl Jersey commuting and a Planet-X Jersey the rest of the time.

I'm Afraid to hit that web site i'd say they get a lot of dissapointed teens thinking they have found something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I wear an old basketball jersey and a high vis builders vest/jacket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

mike12 wrote: »
    I'm Afraid to hit that web site i'd say they get a lot of dissapointed teens thinking they have found something else

Tight fitting Lycra action.....

Advertisement