Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Different Capture Cards

Options
  • 09-07-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hope the admins don't mind me posting tutorials and guides yet.

There are different types of capture cards you can use when capturing gameplay, and the one you get will generally depend on how much you'll use it and the quality you want. You can generally use composite external cards like Dazzle, or you can go for HD and use cards like the Blackmagic Intensity and the HD PVR.

The EasyCap
    easycap-usb.jpg
    This usually retails for around $10, and you'll get it for around that price on eBay and places including shipping. This "get what you pay for" rule applies here. Don't expect Hollywood production quality. Expect bearable video, and a crackling noise in the background of the audio. If you're serious about capturing, don't go for this one. If you're looking to capture a few clips for YouTube for your mates, then this should suffice.

The Dazzle
    dazzle_vcp.jpg
    This one is the next card up. Another external one, this one accepts composite and S-video inputs. It has better quality that the EasyCap but is still a standard definition card. There's two options for this card, the standard and platinum edition. The only difference is you get some editing software in the platinum version. Having used the software before, I can say first hand that it's sub-par and very limited. I'd recommend the standard one and using a free video editing programme.

Hauppage HD PVR
    hauppauge-hd-pvr.jpg
    This is the low-end HD one. Just because it's low-end doesn't mean it's bad quality. This is an external box, and is an option if you're using a laptop or an old PC. It records in composite and outputs in 720p and 1080i.

Blackmagic Intensity Pro
    blackmagic_intensity_pro.jpg
    This is an amazing quality. The thing about this is it requires a lot. First off, it's a PCIe card, meaning you need a free PCIe slot in your PC. Remember, PCI slots won't work, it needs to be express. It also requires its own dedicated hard-drive as well, and the footage it outputs is huge. You can output in compressed, but I generally average 3 gigs every ten minutes with this. It inputs in HDMI, which is its big feature. Remember, though, it can't be recording through HDMI with the PS3 for copyright restrictions. It does come with component breakout cables to record the PS3 with, and will retain its 1080i output, as well as 720p if you wish.

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle
    BlackMagic-Intensity-Shuttle.jpg
    I don't think this is even available in Ireland yet, but it's capable of 1080p recording through HDMI, and is powered by USB 3.0. if your computer (like most) doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports, you can get a PCI cart with USB 3.0 ports of eBay to support this device. This is the most advanced capture card on the market and it retails for the same price as the Intensity Pro.

If anybody has any questions, post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them. Alternatively, you can PM me as well and I'll do my best to help out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The only real question I have is - Where the hell can I get an Intensity Pro in this country...? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

TheChrisD wrote: »
    The only real question I have is - Where the hell can I get an Intensity Pro in this country...? :(

http://www.camerakit.ie/proddetail.asp?prod=blackmagic-intensity-pro :)

Fast, safe and secure delivery. Never had a problem with mine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Bonavox wrote: »
    http://www.camerakit.ie/proddetail.asp?prod=blackmagic-intensity-pro :)

Fast, safe and secure delivery. Never had a problem with mine so far.

Yea? Sweet.
    /me runs to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What would be the best option for me? Still on an old SD tv, but would want decent quality for vids being uploaded onto youtube. MW2 clips from the oul xbox. Or is it even possible to record with decent quality from a SD tv? :pac:

Finical wrote: »
    What would be the best option for me? Still on an old SD tv, but would want decent quality for vids being uploaded onto youtube. MW2 clips from the oul xbox. Or is it even possible to record with decent quality from a SD tv? :pac:

I would say Dazzle, but if you want the best quality possible the HD PVR has a composite input as well. I'd say go for Dazzle, it's in between but the composite quality of the HD PVR is only slightly better than that of the Dazzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Thanks man. Any idea where I could buy it for good value?

Finical wrote: »
    Thanks man. Any idea where I could buy it for good value?

Online, Amazon or eBay would be your best bet. I know that PC World stock it, and I saw some in Maplins in the City Centre a few months back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

I have windows 7, is there any compatibility problems with the easycap on this os?

What easycap would you recommend? I want good enough quality but for an affordable price.

celtic723 wrote: »
    I have windows 7, is there any compatibility problems with the easycap on this os?

What easycap would you recommend? I want good enough quality but for an affordable price.

From what I can gather there are no "official" drivers yet, but there seems to be some unofficial ones that have had success. A Google search should bring up the results you're after.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gosh.... provided you aren't trying to sell the stuff you are writing tutorials or guides about, we're all for the dissemination of information between people.... its kinda the reason we're here! :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Gosh.... provided you aren't trying to sell the stuff you are writing tutorials or guides about, we're all for the dissemination of information between people.... its kinda the reason we're here! :)

DeV.

Nah, not trying to sell anything :D. I remember the trouble I had when I was trying to decide on a card, so seems fair to have some sort of guide here so people don't go through the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hi all, I am interested in getting a capture card but I use a mac with snow leopard installed on it. I was just wondering if these were all compatible with that OS or if there are drivers for any of them? Thanks

Joneser wrote: »
    Hi all, I am interested in getting a capture card but I use a mac with snow leopard installed on it. I was just wondering if these were all compatible with that OS or if there are drivers for any of them? Thanks

The EasyCap and Dazzle have Mac versions available, but are a bit more expensive than the Windows version for some reason. As for the HD PVR, not entirely sure on that one but I'm sure Tallon can help. The Blackmagic Intensity Pro will work with a Mac Pro (not sure if that's your model) as long as the PCIe slot isn't already in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Tallon can help :p

Yeah, the HD PVR is compatible with Mac, as far as I know it is out of the box, just different drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

I have an EasyCap. It's annoying because I have to play through Scart/Analogue when I'm playing, meaning I can't see the game too well.

waynewex wrote: »
    I have an EasyCap. It's annoying because I have to play through Scart/Analogue when I'm playing, meaning I can't see the game too well.

Yep, I got fed up of doing that so bought the PVR.

I cannot play SD at all anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

I bought one of the fake easycaps from Hong Kong doesn't record PAL60 in colour but the black and white is still decent. Not enough, Dazzle is on the way thank god.

Tallon did you order from the hauppauge UK site? Were you charged for delivery?

Go www.hauppauge.com , when you go to place an order, you select Ireland, and it redirects you to another site (Not sure if it's UK)

You will get an email telling you that there base is in Ireland and do you still want to but it. Yes, you have to pay shipping
    Dear Mr Tallon,

We have received your order for one unit of HD PVR at the cost of US$199 per unit. In addition to the cost of the unit there is a US$11 shipping fee plus VAT at the Irish rate of 21.5% (Total US$255.16). All our units ship with DHL from our warehouse in Ireland. Non-EU customers are also responsible for any additional customs and duties charges that may be incurred.

If the above is agreeable to you, please confirm via return e-mail, stating your confirmation.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries

Kind Regards

Henry Mills
    Hauppauge Digital Europe S.A.R.L.

Advertisement