Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B12 Deficiency and Injections! :(

Options
  • 09-07-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any information on vitamin B12. I just found out the other day that I am going to have to start getting injections for this next week and nobody knows the cause. I was told I have to get blood tests done as well to test for my intrinsic factor. My B12 level was 104, so I don't know where that is on the scale except it's low.

Does anybody have personal experience of this? Whats the generally happens with this condition? By the way, I am a female in my early 20's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

back on 12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any information on vitamin B12. I just found out the other day that I am going to have to start getting injections for this next week and nobody knows the cause. I was told I have to get blood tests done as well to test for my intrinsic factor. My B12 level was 104, so I don't know where that is on the scale except it's low.

Does anybody have personal experience of this? Whats the generally happens with this condition? By the way, I am a female in my early 20's.

The cause could be anything from an inadequate dietary intake to a maldigestion to structural damage to a Diphyllobothrium. The doctor can tell you why you have a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Between 200-600 pg/mL is the average. There are plenty of articles on the internet to tell you about your condition. I suggest you read up, it's no harm to have the knowledge of a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

could be pernicious anaemia ask doc why you need b12

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you both for your replies, I am grateful!

I am returning to see my Doctor on Tuesday morning and she is going to carry out a few blood tests to get to the route of the problem.

The primary reason I went to the Doctor was because I am suffering from extreme exhaustion(sleeping 14/16hrs daily), depression(on meds), bleeding from bowel(under investigation), and general fatigue!

I don't know what symptons fit or not, I suppose I have a complicated medical history and I had to persue the doctor to actually get the first round of meds done!

Generally what's the result of this after you get a few injections, does it take a fair bit of time to see an improvement? I am going to follow this through, I have got half a problem solved now!

back on 12 wrote: »
    Thank you both for your replies, I am grateful!
    ;)
    I am returning to see my Doctor on Tuesday morning and she is going to carry out a few blood tests to get to the route of the problem.
    good
    The primary reason I went to the Doctor was because I am suffering from extreme exhaustion(sleeping 14/16hrs daily), depression(on meds), bleeding from bowel(under investigation), and general fatigue!
    I am not a medical person and this is not medical advice. You are going the right way in going to the doctor. If you were having bleed it could lead to fatigue but so could depression. Follow the doctor advcie re tests etc

I am not sure if you say you are not happy with the doctors response? Be aware you are entitled to a second opinion from another doctor.
    Generally what's the result of this after you get a few injections, does it take a fair bit of time to see an improvement? I am going to follow this through, I have got half a problem solved now!
    This is not medical advice but if you have pernicious anaemia you prob be on b12 for life as the body is unable to absorb B12. Not being smart but if you followed the links would have a good idea of outcome of b12. No one here can tell how long as we are not doctors and we do not know what is wrong with you. But pernicious anameia usually means life time b12 shots. other conditions maybe till you are up to normal? When i was low in b12 i went up after a couple of shots.

A famous person who died from pernicious anaemia was bertillion who was the creator of Anthropometry,the first scientific system used by police to identify criminals.The pre fingerprint system. Presumably it was because they did not have b12 injections in those days. It is easy to treat nowadays

OP, good luck let us know how you get on if it is not too personal for you.

Ah like it's okay I don't see it as too personal.

I do feel comfortable with this doctor, but I feel I need to see this through and get to the bottom of it! These tests could answer a few questions like.

I will be optomistic and hope that its only a short term issue and that a few shots will do the trick!

I will post back when I know more, until then I think I will do a bit of reading up on the net.

Thank you!

• Advertisement

OK well good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭beccaboom

i have been getting B12 injections for the last three years , had all the testing done and all come back normal.....
    I have a tummy problem and it just doesnt absorb , i started on weekly injections the monthly now three monthly and feel amazing when i get them .. energy levels rise, mood gets better and i sleep better.
    I can judge now with my moods when I am due an injection.

Hopefully you'll feel the same , the injection really helped my moods, bowels and sleep patterns. PM me if you need more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭beccaboom

i should also point out that my sisters had the same as you symptoms wise and were sorted with a 6 week course of injections ... done and sorted

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies!

I am just after having my first shot there this morning...and as well as that I had all the bloods taken which I am happy about!

I have to get one now every two weeks for a few months and then get my levels checked again and see how they are and hopefully I will just have to get them then monthly. I think she said I won't feel the benefit for a few days but even so, I won't mind if it helps!

According to her the likelyhood is that I have a malabsorption problem, and with this she reckons some of my symptoms will die down!

It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there...hopefully now this solves the problem...

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone have any dietary advice around this?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

Is B12 deficiency hereditary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yea I have to get B12 inections starting next week I'm always tired and down but I thought it was down to my underactive thyroid so was surprised to hear I had a B12 deficiency could someone tell me is this related to Iron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sallymae

hi i have got low b12 too and have been having injections for some time for a while i got three a week i don't absorb it so mine goes very low lowest was 27 and was anemic then alot of people get them in their arm i find it too sore so i get it in my tigh bit better

how often do you have to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Advertisement