Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tlie or hardwood for window cill in kitchen

• 09-07-2010 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what to do with regards my kitchen window and cill.

Im going to be geting the walls along the kitchen work tops tiled,so Im wondering about the window cill.

Which is or would be better,a varnished hard wood window cill/ledge or just tile it up?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

i think tile is way nicer finnish in kitchens and bathrooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just depends on what you think looks better really.

What i don't like to see on a personal note is a small bit of tile leading onto the window cill.

You have to start on a full tile obviously, therefore depending on how big your tiles are how much of a cut is left before returning onto the cill. If there is say a half a tile or more for me it will look ok without a windowboard. If there is less then normally a windowboard will hide this.

So really it is whatever you are happy with visually. I prefer to see it tiled if it meets my criteria mentioned above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

An architect friend of mine rekons that tiling out the window cill aswell,is going to be a bit too much and ott,and it was him that suggested a varnished hard wood window cill as it would look better.

But I dont know now.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd have to agree that tiling it out will have a much cleaner feel to it. Its above your sink to will be subject to water etc.... easier to clean and no need to varnish it every few years. Did it in our bathroom. just the job. Personal taste really. If i was you, I'd ask the missus what she wants and do that. Life will be easier then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

paddy147 wrote: »
    An architect friend of mine rekons that tiling out the window cill aswell,is going to be a bit too much and ott

Paddy.. tile it and find yourself a new friend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Paddy if it were me there I would actually use a white pvc shelf. Its the dogs and looks well.

Paddy if it were me there I would actually use a white pvc shelf. Its the dogs and looks well.

Would I get 1 in the likes of Heaton Buckleys up at Santry stadium??

paddy147 wrote: »
    Would I get 1 in the likes of Heaton Buckleys up at Santry stadium??

no you would get it where you got your window or my brother can get one for you he lives near you.

let me know if you want me to ask my brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anna_starr82

I would also go for tiles. For a kitchen it looks much better.

paddy if you do go with the tiles and you dont like it there is nothing stopping you putting the pvc over it.

Additionally if you do go with the tiles seal the grout on the horizontal.

It picks up mildew even though they are weatherglazed.

• Advertisement

paddy if you do go with the tiles and you dont like it there is nothing stopping you putting the pvc over it.

Additionally if you do go with the tiles seal the grout on the horizontal.

It picks up mildew even though they are weatherglazed.

Me and the girlfriend are going to sit down this evening and make a deffinate decision..........tiles or window board.

Oh,and thanks for the tips and advice too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

To add to the mix, black marble to match the worktop. Allow an overhang like you would a windowboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

I would second the recommendation of Joey. If you put tiles then your grout will be black in no time (at least mine was). Also, you will invariably have stuff on the window cill such as a bar of soap or a bottle of washing up liquid, and the surface will be constantly wet (at least mine was). So if you put wood there it might rot eventually.

I've just done up my kitchen and I've put quartz up the back, and as a cill. So its immune from the effects of water.

So its functionality over looks (for me, anyway).

Advertisement