Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Ireland, which bank should I go with?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Next week I'm relocating to Ireland. Obviously I'll be looking to open a bank account, I'm wondering who it's best to go with?

I'm being told Ulster Bank, but I've looked up AIB too and I think I would prefer to go with them. However, will I be able to get a credit card with a salary confirmation letter from my employer?

I would like to start a credit record in Ireland and maintain it perfectly before buying a property within the next 18 months or so.

Many thanks for your responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Next week I'm relocating to Ireland. Obviously I'll be looking to open a bank account, I'm wondering who it's best to go with?

I'm being told Ulster Bank, but I've looked up AIB too and I think I would prefer to go with them. However, will I be able to get a credit card with a salary confirmation letter from my employer?

I would like to start a credit record in Ireland and maintain it perfectly before buying a property within the next 18 months or so.

Many thanks for your responses!

To be honest, at the moment, I'd recommend AIB/BOI for 2 reasons. First, they are by far the largest, with the biggest branch presence by far. Secondly, they are both very much open for business (some of the other banks are closing ranks at the moment trying to survive).

With regards a credit card, it may be hard to get one quickly. Between a tightening of criteria due to the credit crunch, and the fact that there has been a huge number of credit card defaults from people leaving the country (mainly foreigner's returning home, and people emigrating), hoping the banks won't chase them, it is unlikely any bank will be willing to give a credit card to someone who has just arrived in the country.

Do you have a credit card at the moment? Do you have a job lined up already? If so, is it permanent and high paying. If so, you might be able to get one. If not, well, good luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

dotsman wrote: »
    Do you have a credit card at the moment? Do you have a job lined up already? If so, is it permanent and high paying. If so, you might be able to get one. If not, well, good luck:D

Thanks for the advice in your post, much appreciated. The only hitch I can find with AIB is the cards they issue are not Visa debit but Maestro/Cirrus, I'd rather have the Visa debit.

In regards to your questions quoted: Not in Ireland. Yes, Yes and Yes.

My employer has offered to provide a letter to the banks stating the job status and salary in order to support my application. I was just wondering if it's still a risk applying as I don't want to blemish my record before I've even started my life in Ireland.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

For a no hassle/strings attached current account with no fees then UB are far better than AIB/BOI. Sure PTSB would be better than them 2. As for closing ranks, sure neither of them 2 have really started any kind of recovery to normality.

Anyhow....

Your not likely to get a CC without 3-6 months bank statements from an Irish Bank. Sure the Visa Debit will do. Until you get the nessercary history. A letter from your employer will not sufice.

Any application for a regulated product will result in a "Foot Print" on your ICB(Irish Credit Brueau). No bigger really for a CC application. TBH, I not bother with the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

go with boi one of the biggest but i think more aimed towards personal -customers than aib

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks for the advice in your post, much appreciated. The only hitch I can find with AIB is the cards they issue are not Visa debit but Maestro/Cirrus, I'd rather have the Visa debit.

My employer has offered to provide a letter to the banks stating the job status and salary in order to support my application. I was just wondering if it's still a risk applying as I don't want to blemish my record before I've even started my life in Ireland.

If you want Visa Debit today, Ulster Bank is your only option, P-TSB are starting to issue Visa Debit cards shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If that's the case, you may be able to apply get one (again, possibly not straight away, but within a few months). I would apply definitely apply as you have nothing to lose. As part of the application they will do a credit check with the Irish Credit Bureau. As you do not exist on that database, it will return nothing. But it won't "create" an entry on the database for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I figured it might take a few months of account use first so I might hold off applying until then.

Still can't really choose between AIB and Ulster now but I guess if Ulster offers the Visa debit then it's better to go with them.

Would I be able to get a contract cellphone or would that have to wait too? Reason I ask is I read somewhere that cellphone networks don't check the ICB database for new contract sign-up's as a cellphone doesn't constitute a line of credit (unlike, I think, the UK).

Many thanks all for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i use the credit union, check them out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sounds to me that ulster bank is the bank for you right now. The convenience of the debit card alone is enough to sway it, have one myself. You can always close the account after you get your feet on the ground and chose another bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Advertisement
Advertisement