Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog saves family from burning house

Options
  • 09-07-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hope it's ok to post this here :)
    Someone over on my twitted posted a link to this article a few minutes ago;
    A home is destroyed but a family of 3 is alive thanks to Thor, the pit bull being called a hero.
    Around 3 a.m. Thursday a family slept soundly as fire ripped through their home.
    Pit bull Thor tried to wake both Kemper Hunter and Sarah Laughlin, asleep on the couch.
    Neither woke up, so Thor kept barking – even biting his owner, Hunter.
    “He started barking, it made me upset, so I sat up,” said Hunter. “There it was, our house on fire,” he said.
    “It's just engulfed in flames and smoke everywhere,” added Hunter.
    Meantime, Thor was busy.
    "He had my infant, my 3-month-old little girl, bassinet and all, grabbed by the ruffles and drug to the front door, ready to go. He's a hero, he saved our lives,” said Hunter.
    Frank Connolly, assistant executive director with Elkhart County’s Red Cross, agrees.
    "It's a remarkable story,” said Connolly.
    Connolly has helped countless people and families through tragedies.
    "To meet someone who can say our dog saved our life, he pulled our baby out of the bedroom to the front door to save our life, it's pretty remarkable, it tops the list,” Connolly said.
    Thanks to the Red Cross, the family has a hotel room for a few days – their second move in just over a week.
    "Moved in a week ago and lost everything we own,” said Hunter.
    After the family moved into their trailer a week ago, everything now seems to be lost. But perspective is looking at each family member – including Thor -- and knowing what's still here.
    "Thank God for him, because if it wasn't for him, everything else is replaceable, but if it wasn't for him I think we'd still be laying in that bed if my dog hadn't been as heroic as he was,” Hunter said.
    The family didn’t have renter’s insurance. The Red Cross of Elkhart County has set up a fund to help them. Please call the Red Cross at 574-293-6519 if you’d like to help.

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/98083109.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Cool dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nice to have a Pit Bull get some good press for once as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

AHHH thats brill:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There are many such examples but theyr rarely make the press:

http://saveabull.com/2008/pitbull-heroes/

One of my own dogs stood up to a bear when I lived in Montana and waited until I got safely away until he followed me - having held the bear at bay by circling him. He was not trained to do it, nor was he trained for hunting, he was a rescue from New York!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

EGAR wrote: »
    There are many such examples but theyr rarely make the press:

http://saveabull.com/2008/pitbull-heroes/

One of my own dogs stood up to a bear when I lived in Montana and waited until I got safely away until he followed me - having held the bear at bay by circling him. He was not trained to do it, nor was he trained for hunting, he was a rescue from New York!

Incredible... I'm lost for words. That is bravery, selflessness and devotion personified.

Another remarkable one was the Staffie who killed a poisonous snake who entered the playroom of two toddlers in Oz.

Some nut jobs felt the need to comment that the devil dog should have showed some restraint and not killed the indigenous, highly aggressive and lethal reptile.. These beautiful dogs just can't catch a break some times.

Congrats again with Bruce. Hope all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

This personality trait is one of the reasons why I fight for them. People who do not know them are quick to judge but living with one would soon change their perspective.

Pit Bulls are versatile, highly intelligent and excel in a variety of tasks. They are not devil dogs nor are they super canines designed to kill before them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

“He started barking, it made me upset, so I sat up,” said Hunter.

never knew u could be upset while sleeping ,

Advertisement