Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get pillars for DIY pillar bedding job

Options
  • 09-07-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

:D

Thanks to Clivej I'm going to DIY pillar bed my rifle :eek: got the Devcon thanks to Glensman, now I need the pillars and other stuff... Help! I'm ordering a DVD on the job (bet that gives everyone confidence..) so am not sure what I need yet. but, if anyone knows where items related to DIY bedding (and I don't mean betterbedding either) can be got please give me a shout :)

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

hi just saw this when i googled pillar bedding
    http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yup, that's the DVD Bazza :)

Is it!will be an interesting job!good look with it,you should take pictures as u do the job throw them up here no doubt alot of lads be interested!

Yeah, someone else should've done that too :D

make a dvd sell it aswell!

• Advertisement

how much would it cost get that job done it the gunsmiths out of interest

€200-€300 for a glass and pillar bedding job I am told.

I already have the Devcon and don't have the €€€ so I'll DIY it.

If I manage to break the rifle (quite likely) I guess I have until February to save for the repairs :D

be carefull take your time it be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

bazza888 wrote: »
    be carefull take your time it be fine!

Pillars easy, glass bedding not so easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

johngalway wrote: »
    :D

Thanks to Clivej I'm going to DIY pillar bed my rifle :eek: got the Devcon thanks to Glensman, now I need the pillars and other stuff... Help! I'm ordering a DVD on the job (bet that gives everyone confidence..) so am not sure what I need yet. but, if anyone knows where items related to DIY bedding (and I don't mean betterbedding either) can be got please give me a shout :)

ATB,

John

I always look to borwnells for this kinda stuff..... and i order off them loads so i save a fortune compared to what i pay here ! They have several products that might interest you depending on how much you wish to spend and the rifle you have.....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22892/Product/PILLAR_BEDDING_SLEEVES

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9899/Product/REMINGTON_700_PILLAR_BEDDING_BLOCKS

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=982/Product/ADJUSTABLE_PILLAR_BEDDING_SLEEVES

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26592/Product/ADJUSTABLE_PILLAR_BEDDING_KITS

If you want anythin let me know n ill throw it in with what im gettin as well if you want to save on shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

John I'm in America (again):D I'm putting an order in to MidwayUSA next week for some stuff for myself, im pretty sure they stock Rem 700 pillars if you want me to get some?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

John,
    pillars are no problem I could dig out measurements. The length is not a problem if one uses the floor/drop plate but it needs to be right if one fits an aftermarket mag system.
    I would advise to bed the floor plate as well as the action.
    Pillars in stainless are better than aluminum, any fella with a lathe can make em for a few beers.

That kiwi shoe polish works well as a release agent, remember to apply at least two layers. I'd even rub out the inside of the action with kiwi...just in case. Much easier to pry out devcon if it makes it way in. :p

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Nag, Nag, Nag

Well here goes for all you doubting Thomas's

I did the bedding job on my Sako 75 lamiated varmint last week over 2 days. I didn't take any vid's or photos as it was just to much trouble to get set up and do. To much to remember with the bedding without having to think of photo's as well.

As to the pillars well good old B&Q have plenty of ali tubing in a rack in their stores. I use the 8mm OD/ 6mm ID as my action bolts are 6mm. I first took the messurement of the thickness of the stock where the action bolts go thru.
    Then with the calipers still set, I thightend down the small caliper screw, I transfered the messurement to the ali tube with a scratch mark. Using a plumbers tube cutters I cut the tubing and reamered out the bur from the tube centre.

Put the action back in the stock to make sure all was good, take off again.

Day 1.
    First job was to bed the pillars in the trigger guard side of the the stock, Drilled out the action screw holes to take the pillars and then dremeled out some of the wood around the pillars to take the Devcon. I used clear shoe polish, works very well, to stop any Devcon sticking to the trigger guard and stock. And used masking tape to cover up the stock and any other bits I didn't want the Devcon to get on.
    I used BBQ kebab sticks, from Woodies, to mix and apply the Devcon 2+1/2 to 1 by volume. Screwed the action back with the trigger guard in place while the Devcon set 16+ hours. This now fixed the pillars in place so I could then start removing wood from the action side of the stock. Then when I put the acton back in place for the bedding the pillars can not move.

Day 2
    Took apart the guard OK.
    Dremelled out the wood from around the now set pillars from the action of the stock about 4-6mm in places. Also where the recoil lug sits and anywhere else i thought was needed. Wrapped masking tape around anywhere on the stock and gun action where the devcon was not the stick, polished up everywhere the devcon was not to stick. Used modeling clay as a dam around the barrel put the barrel back to form a mould shape. Used polystirene (spelling??) to fill the mag well and also polished that.
    Mixed up the devcon didn't overfill to much and then put it all back and screwed up the action again. not too much overfill came out, only a little.
    Polish up the action screws as well,
    Put a couple of layers of masking tape on the front and sides of the recoil lug as you only want the lug touching the stock, the Devcon, on the lug's back face.

*** Use Nail varnish remover with cotton buds and/or rag to remove, clean and tidy up everything before the Devcon sets. You have 45 minutes work time with the Devcon.***

Day 3
    pulled it apart but it was very hard to get apart. BUT ALL GOOD.
    took off the masking tape and it goes back tight but easy now.

Have yet to test fire it as the weather is not too good. But as I do up the action screws the rifle and stock new feel like they are now the one unit.

Trigger Guard Bedding
    Guardbedding1.jpg
    Guardbedding2.jpg
    Guardbedding3.jpg

Action Bedding
    Actionbedding1.jpg
    Actionbedding2.jpg
    Actionbedding3.jpg
    Actionbedding4.jpg

varmintlamss75.jpg

Easy pesy ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Fair play clive ,ill send ya down my next rifle to be bedded if ya want to make some cash on the side ;).Some of the guys who make a living at this sort of work could take a good look at your bedding job......

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Fair play clive ,ill send ya down my next rifle to be bedded if ya want to make some cash on the side ;).Some of the guys who make a living at this sort of work could take a good look at your bedding job......

I'd be up for it alright.

BUT I take no responsibility for the outcome but will give it 110% of my skills. I'm a tradesman all my life, I always was good with my hands.

clivej wrote: »
    I'd be up for it alright.

BUT I take no responsibility for the outcome but will give it 110% of my skills. I'm a tradesman all my life, I always was good with my hands.

I hear you wear a trades man since 1759 I never knew you were that Old Clive, I'm very impressed with your bedding job.

I'm also glad we are starting to turn Ireland into a custom rifle culture :D

Next the Olympics!

I hear you wear a trades man since 1759 I never knew you were that Old Clive, I'm very impressed with your bedding job.

Next the Olympics!

I can Talk the Talk but can I Shoot the Shot :eek:

I can Talk the Talk but can I Shoot the Shot :eek:

When I had a shi*e rifle and a shi*e scope I was thoroughly depressed at the poor accuracy.

With good equipment you hit more often, your confidence grows and in doing so; so does your ability ;)

Next the Olympics!

I'm glad to say your info is WRONG, as anyone one who realy knows me as against thinks they know me, I go back to 1712. :p:p:p

I'm glad to say your info is WRONG, as anyone one who realy knows me as against thinks they know me, I go back to 1712. :p:p:p

CPR is your Forte too ;)

• Advertisement

CPR is your Forte too ;)

Well spoted ;)

One life saved. Thank be to God.

After removing the pressure bedding and firing the rifle I'm of the opinion that DIY gunsmithing isn't for me :D

First group was a nice encouraging 0.5 inch.
    Second, third and fourth were 1.25-1.5 inch.

johngalway wrote: »
    After removing the pressure bedding and firing the rifle I'm of the opinion that DIY gunsmithing isn't for me :D

First group was a nice encouraging 0.5 inch.
    Second, third and fourth were 1.25-1.5 inch.

post #20
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66879755#post66879755

It's so fincky, But keep the Faith John.

i chickened out after 2 hours of sanding my VTR Stock Friday evening and said I'd get a new stock.:D

Advertisement