Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House and regs changes

Options
  • 10-07-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Im wiring the house next door to me and just want to confirm a few things

ill be running plenty of tv points back to the attic
    ill be running cat 5e from each point back to the attic or in a location near the fuse board - i personally think that the attic would be the better option
    Is there a need to run 2 cat 5e's to each point 1 for phone 1 for network?

clean supply for a lighting circuit and socket circuit to the attic
    6sq earth to the hot press
    Does the en suite bathroom lighting circuit have to be on the rcd circuit or is it just the main bathroom lighting circuit?,
    Is it better to put the main bathroom lighting ciruit on its own rcbo or in with the rcd circuit?
    Its a dormer style house so are extractor fans required in the bathrooms upstairs? (both the ensuite and main bathroom have velux windows)

Kitchen must have 2 radial circuits and any under counter or inacessable sockets must have a double pole spur
    Is it still ok to use ring circuits for the rest of the house or must they all now be radial circuits?

Any other points or suggestions?
    He wants to go pretty basic, hes not going overkill on sockets and hes not using any downlighters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Seperate circuit for freezer not on rcd(spur outlet)or on own rcbo
    fuse board height max to top 2.25 mts
    mcb for mains in meterbox
    no cables for other circuits to go through bathroom walls
    outside lights not attatched to building must be protected by rcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

cheers meercat are the cat5e's generally ran to a point beside the fuse board or up to the attic?

Depends on client
    I would wire to an office/ study near computer
    I would do phones to point closeby too
    a phone line from telecom box to alarm panel

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

as far as i know, all bonding is to be done in 10sq. i would pull 2 cat 5e to every point, you dont have to use them, a box is only about 65 euro. i would also consider cat 6, i know the modules are expencive, but you could terminate with cat 5e gear. i would also bring the coax back to the same place as your data, then just use one cabinet to hold the lot.

in all rooms with a bath or shower all circuits must be protected with an RCD including lights if in zones 2,3 a light should to be placed out side the zones and NOT protected by an RCD in the case of an RCD triping person not left in darkness (ETCI Wiring rules 4th edition 701.559) Im open to correction on this,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

as far as i know, all bonding is to be done in 10sq
    +1
    i would pull 2 cat 5e to every point, you dont have to use them,
    Yes, me too. It is easy to do during the construction phase and will cost little extra.

IMHO the best bathroom lights are 12 volt halogen downlighters. Why?

1) No RCD/RCBO required
    2) Great light quality (color rendering)
    3) Can be installed in all zones within the bathroom including in the shower cubicle.
    4) Simplifies wiring
    5) Looks great
    6) Long lamp life
    7) Can be dimmed (unlike 2D types)
    8) Safe
    9) Reliable

Note: Use lights with suitable IP rating. IP65 is the minimum I would use.

Vortice make a great 12 volt fan that can go in the shower cubicle too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Its a dormer style house so are extractor fans required in the bathrooms upstairs? (both the ensuite and main bathroom have velux windows)
    It is not an ETCI regulation, but I would recommend that you install them!
    ill be running plenty of tv points back to the attic
    Depends on what you are trying to do. Keep cable joins to a minimum for best picture quality. Think of HDMI cabling and sat box locations.

Kitchen must have 2 radial circuits and any under counter or inacessable sockets must have a double pole spur
    Is it still ok to use ring circuits for the rest of the house or must they all now be radial circuits?
    Yes, but 20A DP switch, not spur outlet.

a light should to be placed out side the zones and NOT protected by an RCD in the case of an RCD triping person not left in darkness (ETCI Wiring rules 4th edition 701.559) Im open to correction on this,
    highlycool
    they have dropped this section for the moment

clean supply for a lighting circuit and socket circuit to the attic
    Do you mean "dedicated" (for future expansion) rather than "clean"? I would install a clean circuit for computers, servers, life support machine or an €80k + sound system. Not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

yes i should have said dedicated run to the attic, most questions seem to have been answered thought 6sq earth to the hot press was ok thought that had changed in the regs(i know it was 10 sq) also in relation to ring circuits are they still ok to use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement