Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat just had her kittens behind the fire surround (chimney)

Options
  • 10-07-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My cat has gone up the chimney and then dropped down behind the backing of the gas fire in the living room. I was trying to tempt her out when I started to hear the cry of kittens. I can hear them but cant see them and I have no way of getting them out. For the cat herself to come out she needs to jump up about 20" onto a ledge in the chimney and then make her way down the other side over the coals. She often goes up the chimney and hides out on the ledge but i am shocked she went in behind to have the kittens. I stuck a mirror and a torch up the chimney to have a look down the back of the surround and it is very rough down there ie loads of builders rubble, bits of timber etc.

The thing is while the cat will be able to get out, there is no way the kittens will. Should I call in a gas fire installer and have the lot dismantled to get them out or should i leave her alone in her little protected nest?

Will she at some point decide to bring them out herself? If so will they be days or weeks old? Dont know what to do........

Its her first litter.

Advertisement