Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grants for part time course

• 10-07-2010 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me i want to go back to do a two year part time course in the life long learning centre and it is very expensive it is in the IT but not run by the IT so there is no payment plan does anyone know if i would be entitled to any type of grant the VEC said they wont cover it cause it is not a full time course as i have 2 very young children this is impossible as much as i would love to I am unemployed at the minute and want to better myself so i can get off the social welfare and they are begging us to do this in the country but cant seem to find anyone who is will to help me out to get me off the social i am not looking for a monthly grant just a help out with the fees to get on the course would be brillent if anyone has any ideas i would grately appreicate it

regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

talk to your local Social Welfare Jobs Facilitator about Back To Education Allowance or Back To Education Initiative.

See what they suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Hi OP,

Unfortunately there are no grants available from the VEC or council for LLL/part time courses.

As already mentioned talk to Fergal Blanchfield in Social welfare (there is quite a long waiting list for him) and if you aer registered with FAS they might be able to help out. Back to education allowance is only for full time courses.

Students starting college in 2010/11 will no longer be entitled to both BTE and the grant. It's one or the other now!! so many students don't realise that yet :(

I can remember a time when both would have helped, it's becoming very rare for either one to help with any more than 1/4 or 1/2 fees :(

Finally, the college does offer a payment scheme. You can pay a set amount each month if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarahn586

Hi I am currently in the same position as u only I work part time but only want to do a part time course over 4 years but the fees r nearly 4000 a year was wondering if you had any luck in getting any sort of funding or grant as every person I speak too is just telling me that there is nothing for part time courses. I really hope you did .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

No funding for part time courses from any of the government departments.

If someone is working full time - then they ought to be able to pay it for themselves. Another view point - 12K for a degree qualification is a good investment - should be no need for government help.

I looked at the Open University to see if that was an option - I decided it wasn't as quite expensive.

Only idea I can think of is to see - can you do the course in modules - many colleges won't do this. And it would be cheaper also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lenovo Boy

We've enough grant babies here as it is. Jesus, don't think I could take another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BJShea

Lenovo Boy wrote: »
    We've enough grant babies here as it is. Jesus, don't think I could take another one.

Grant babies! This is ridiculous. I could not be here without my grant. So, you would deny me furthering my education cause I am a "grant baby" as you put it. Well for some being rich! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Lenovo Boy wrote: »

This is a ridiculous view, care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

Can you get tax relief? That's 20% off the costs straight away

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

Advertisement