Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Think I'm a Transgender

Options
  • 10-07-2010 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Every night before I go to bed I hope I wake up as a woman. It's something that I've hoped for since I was 12. I've always felt like, when I was in 'guy mode' that It just wasn't me, I just felt like I was in the wrong body acting the wrong way. The problem is my parents are transphobes. My parents are religious and think that if you're born a man you should be a man. They don't agree with Transpeople at all.

I'm almost certain I won't be accepted for who I am. I think that when I reach 18 I should move away and disconnect from my family and become a woman there. I've been thinking I should just try to accept my born gender and suppress my feelings, people did that years ago so why can't they do it now?

I think I really need someone to talk to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

definitely contact TENI as Johnnymcg has suggested
    I've been thinking I should just try to accept my born gender and suppress my feelings, people did that years ago so why can't they do it now?

doesn't work.
    I've tried to suppress my feelings and I just ended up hurting myself quite seriously, sinking into an incredibly deep depression. your gender identity is something your born with and that will never go away

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Links234 wrote: »
    definitely contact TENI as Johnnymcg has suggested

doesn't work.
    I've tried to suppress my feelings and I just ended up hurting myself quite seriously, sinking into an incredibly deep depression. your gender identity is something your born with and that will never go away

I've contact TENI. Thanks Johnny for that.

Links, TBH I think going through that for the next 3 years until I'm 18 is better than living with people who hate me. At least I'm not hurting anyone else by bottling it up. Ugh, I feel like such a freak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've been thinking I should just try to accept my born gender and suppress my feelings.

I tried that for 25 years, hasn't really worked as well as I hoped. I'm in a similar boat, religious parents and I'm starting Counselling soon before I tell any family, just in case.

Don't deny who you are, it will crack you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've contact TENI. Thanks Johnny for that.

Links, TBH I think going through that for the next 3 years until I'm 18 is better than living with people who hate me. At least I'm not hurting anyone else by bottling it up. Ugh, I feel like such a freak.

There is a specific youth group for young trans people at BelongTo as well - IndividualiTy. If you're in Dublin it might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Don't ever suppress who you really are. You deserve to be yourself just as much as your Catholic family. Do what feels right for you. It's so important for you. Be proud.

Advertisement