Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging basket Thief

Options
  • 10-07-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

My mam and dad were away for 4 days last weekend and their hanging baskets were stolen in the coolmine area. the woman was actually spotted by a neighbour who is a bit slow and didnt cop on we werent giving them away and there was no car in the driveway. anyhoo she was in her early twenties dressed casually and stuck them in her boot as bold as brass at 3 o clock in the afternoon..i would have so liked to catch her at it. her picture would be up on the web for all to see and i wold put posters around the area. if you have nice plants out front beware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Thanks for the warning,your lucky thats not all that was robbed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Kev. wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning,your lucky thats not all that was robbed....

Why is he lucky? It's not HIS fault, but if you meant you are lucky, you've misrepresented your statement, but we might blame your own education for it.

Disturbed, we we? Seeing as stealing garden objects is often the prelude to ... what you eluded to.

Your = possessive.

You're = you are.

Like: You're lucky that your other possessions were not stolen as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

gbee wrote: »
    Why is he lucky? It's not HIS fault, but if you meant you are lucky, you've misrepresented your statement, but we might blame your own education for it.

Your = possessive.

You're = you are.

It was just a spelling error.
    A bit harsh to criticize another posters education over it, what happened to attack the post and not the poster? That's out of line.

OP, what happened is quite common unfortunately.
    Give a call to the local garda station. They won't do anything for your case but at least they are aware of what is happening in the area.

It was just a spelling error.

Are you Kiv? I don't believe it was a spelling error, but I take your point.

Disturbed, we we? Seeing as stealing garden objects is often the prelude to ... what you eluded to.

Your = possessive.

You're = you are.

Like: You're lucky that your other possessions were not stolen as well.

Oh god, your won of them (see what I did?) :D

• Advertisement

shaaane wrote: »
    Oh god, your won of them (see what I did?) :D

No, actually, that's funny. This is a classic pun and very effective. However, criminals use bad grammar deliberately, like "I didn't do nothin, Sir, Swear to GOD!"

And naturally, it changes the very nature of intent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Are you Kiv? I don't believe it was a spelling error, but I take your point.
    However, criminals use bad grammar deliberately, like "I didn't do nothin, Sir, Swear to GOD!"

gbee, this type of posting is not tolerated on this forum. It's not your job to pull up anyone's spelling, or pass remarks on other posters. Keep it up and you will earn yourself and infraction or ban.
    Please read the charter for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

My cousins stone bench was robbed out of her garden, a women again and put it in her boot, would think this be the same women. Red car as far as i know. Again a neighbour seen it but thought she was allowed take it.

My mate's father retired recently and has taken to the gardening big time. He had 4 large ceramic planters each weighing a good 8-10 stone (when full that is) swiped from the front garden. The house has gates which are locked every night so backing a car/van into the drive wasn't possible. How they got away without anyone noticing is beyond me, no traces of spilled dirt or anything! And they live on a main road in a built up area! Mad, MAD I SAY! :)

My neighbour commented on my Buddha, she said mine was so big, then it disappeared, strangely a women put it in her boot too.

My neighbour, who expressed and interest in my Buddha, said, I thought you liked that Buddha?

You know what I want to say next, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

My neighbour commented on my Buddha, she said mine was so big, then it disappeared, strangely a women put it in her boot too.

My neighbour, who expressed and interest in my Buddha, said, I thought you liked that Buddha?

You know what I want to say next, don't you?

gbee, posting incoherent rubbish is not on either. Please read the charter, properly this time.

That's your final warning, if you come to the mods attention again you are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Heard yesterday a neighbour had some statues stolen from her garden, We are in hartstown so it seems to be widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I had 2 trees stolen from outside my front door last night, they were in heavy pots but they left these behind. I'm very annoyed about this, if anybody has any info please let me know. I'm in Mount Symon, Clonsilla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The thief is back, he strikes at this time every year!

I am not joking but we bought a front door matt that said Wipe your paws. We paid €20 euro for it and it lasted 18 hours. My Neighbours hanging baskets were taken last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Reminds me..... last year i was sitting in my mates house he had gone away for the weekend. He lives in a rural area. Next thing there is movement at the front door. I hear a dragging sound then through the coloured glass on the front door i see the outline of 2 men walking away with the planters. I jumped up and opened the door. Blue Hi-ace side door open about to put the trees and planters in. ( The planters and trees were about 4.5 foot high)

"SORRAIIIYYY BOSS ARE YOU THROWING THESE AWAY HAI"

You cant leave ANYTHING OUT these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

My mams hanging basket and her neighbours pots stolen last week in the Huntstown area!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

I know this story isn't Dublin 15 but it's on the theme of robbin' b@stards and the Sligo train does go through Dublin 15...

Thievery of this kind just takes the biscuit completely.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Outrageous...

Seven railway crossing gates stolen in Sligo
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0901/1224303293881.html

GARDAÍ AND Iarnród Éireann are probing the mystery theft of seven level-crossing rail gates in south Co Sligo.

Some of the gates were up to 14ft wide. They were taken in the early hours of Sunday, five from Cloonloo and two from Culfadda.

Iarnród Éireann said human and livestock lives were put at risk but luckily no person or animal was injured and new gates were installed by Sunday afternoon.

Spokeswoman Jane Cregan said: “We moved very fast to secure the crossings. It’s very serious to have live rail lines open to vehicles, pedestrians and livestock.”

She added that they were strange thefts although “somebody saw value in them”. She couldn’t remember crossing gates being stolen before but Iarnród Éireann had experienced in the past thefts of cabling which would be easier to take away.

She appealed for anybody who saw anything unusual to contact gardaí in Boyle and Ballymote.

Telephone cabling was also stolen just over a week ago from poles in the Ballysheedy area of Limerick city.

Eircom has also reported the theft of manhole covers in the Dublin area in recent months.

It is believed the rising price of scrap metal is behind the spree, which has also affected the ESB. Both organisations say they suffer an annual loss of cabling to theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I've seen some pretty crappy looking "mock garden centre" type stalls at car boot sales- Sunday Naas Racecourse being one of them-
    -this may well be the type of place where this items are being flogged at the end of the day...if "one" goes round swiping all these items Mon - Fri you'd have a nice little collection for your stall Sat/Sun- it would certainly explain some of the stalls I've seen at these places- none of them knew much about what was being sold which I thought at the time was quite odd...

"IN MY OPINION" - You would wonder what those lads are doing at 4/5am dropping around those clothing stickers wouldn't you? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Arciphel wrote: »
    "IN MY OPINION" - You would wonder what those lads are doing at 4/5am dropping around those clothing stickers wouldn't you? :pac:

Is that Clothes stickers thing a scam Arch? Whats the gig with it. Despite having a NO JUNK MAIL sign i get about 4 a week? Whats the gig? Sorry of topic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Well it they stickers say it's for charity and there is not registered charity number then they are not legit. A lot of those clothes are rounded up and shipped to eastern EU countries and sold in markets.

There's big, big money in the second hand rag trade, so much so that these companies have started up that will actually give you money for a bag of clothes based on the weight: there is one of them after opening in Blanchardstown on the main street, just across the road from the Seat garage (Ryans) in that little shopping centre in there. There is also another (rougher looking) on in Coolmine, just down around the corner from Power City. They are, like the gold buying shops, I think an iconic phenomenon of the post-Celtic Tiger era :pac:

There is anecdotal evidence of the good stuff being filtered out and sold as "vintage" clothing on the continent, the lower grade stuff goes east for sale and the lowest grade gets recycled.

There was an incident reported about 6-8 months ago in the media where two gangs were contesting a housing estate as their turf for collecting clothes, they went at each other with slash hooks apparently :eek:

Sorry for dragging the thread off topic.

Advertisement