Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda's Next Cinema Complex - Any News?

Options
  • 10-07-2010 10:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the status is of the new proposed cinema complex that is supposed to be at Scotch Hall sometime in the future.
    Is it still going ahead or had it been postponed?

The reason why I ask is that once again the present one in Drogheda is lacking in a lot of things still.
    Tried to bring the other half last week to the cinema during the week to see "Twilight Eclipse" only to find out once again that the film showing of it was a week behind the rest of the country. They are constantly doing this. Delaying showings of major films for sometimes weeks.

We asked a woman who was there when it was on (as we though it would be on the same week as the rest of the country and world) - the one that ALWAYS has a permanent sour puss on her face (for years, never changed) and is as snotty as hell - and what we got was a snide, sharp "...well it will be on next week!" and looked sourly at us for asking such a stupid question and with a clear attitude of "what are you doing disturbing me!" The woman has never changed in the years we have been attending this cinema. I wouldn't mind but we are two respectable parents (4 kids to our name) who are always polite and cause no trouble at any cinema and we always get treated like dirt from this woman - as does everyone else according to many that we have spoken to and asked.

So I ask, anyone know what's the latest update on the proposed new cinema complex?

Far as the wife and I are concerned, it can't come soon enough.
    Till then the vast majority of the time, we will stick to seeing our films in Dublin and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm not around during the week and only down the odd weekend to visit parents, but the development at the D hotel side of scotch hall (where I assumed it was going ?) has not shown any sign of progress since xmas, from what I saw when over that way this morning.

Was a bit annoyed when I heard it was going over at scotch hall at 1st, as "we'll have to pay to park there" immediately sprang to mind. That said not many other places it could go unless it went out of town towards the retail parks, though the vacant / demolished old coke site next to funtasia would be a good spot.

Haven't been to the other cinema in a good age, sorry to hear that sour 'auld bag-o-wind is this part of the fixtures, I remember when it 1st opened my girlfriend of the time and I used to go every week sometimes twice, and the place was spotless, well staffed and cleaned thoroughly between screenings, not the case now from what I hear. Mind you that's going back what 15 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd prefer it myself near center of town if possible.
    If it was up the Coke direction it would be the far opposite end of the town for me and the kids. Center of the town is just right I feel.

I just hope they get moving on it.
    Everyone I've spoken to says the same - the town needs an alternative to the one we got.
    I just hope to god they don't hire the terrible woman that still works in the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I don't think that a new one will be built in time to show eclipse though;)

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    I don't think that a new one will be built in time to show eclipse though;)
    :pac:

Maybe by the time they get to show the second half of the final part of the Harry potter series of films.
    We can always hope! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

She is a miserable old cow!...she really is, I remember her when she was in the Abbey cinema as well, horrible piece of stuff.

Does anyone know when work is expected to start on the cinema/second part of Scotch Hall? I know it got held up that time when they found skeletons etc, and the archaeologists had to come in etc, but that must be heading towards 2 years ago now.

• Advertisement

She is a miserable old cow!...she really is, I remember her when she was in the Abbey cinema as well, horrible piece of stuff.

Does anyone know when work is expected to start on the cinema/second part of Scotch Hall? I know it got held up that time when they found skeletons etc, and the archaeologists had to come in etc, but that must be heading towards 2 years ago now.
    Yes, I remember her there too and she has not changed a jot in attitude or spoken manner.
    (Couldn't believe it when she turned up in the Boyne Shopping Center Cinema. Had the employers got rocks in the head!)

I know it was held up due to the reason you mention, then it was supposed to start up soon there after.
    However the current state of things economy-wise put a further hold on it yet again. Recently however I read somewhere in Drogheda that it was possibly going ahead again - so I ask (and pray) if it is indeed going ahead once more and if so, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I did a job for her about a year ago in her home and she's just as sour outside work as she is in it!:D
    My job has me working in and around scotch hall maybe once a week, there's been a number of factors that have held up the development, some previously mentioned and some planning issues too.
    As well as the proposed cinema, and retail units, the D is to get an extension with rooms and conference rooms etc...
    There is to be a walk way from the first floor of Scotch Hall across the existing roadway linking the new development.
    An underground car park was proposed too, but i think that was one of the things which came under planning issues.
    Also the escalators inside the door were to be moved from the right and relocated facing the door and 4 new units (2 upstairs 2 downstairs) to be buit in their place.
    The cinema was originally meant to be constructed with the initial development, but was put on hold for reasons i don't know.
    Since the cinema in the Pavilions was opened the retail units around and on the way too have reported increased footfall and business, something the management in scotch hall are hoping will be the case when the cinema eventually opens!

Thanks Kbell for the info.

It makes sense to think that footfall will increase with the cinema complex being built.
    All the shops in the centre should be pushing for it to be built too - after all it will be in their interest too clearly.
    Large numbers waiting for a film or just leaving obviously will bring some % more of sales to businesses in the same attached business.
    Cafe's or restaurants being the top one likely to attract additional business I suspect (for those wishing to make the night last that little longer).

Here's hoping they get their act together and decide to start building again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The popcorn is the current Drogheda cinema is the nicest around in my opinion and worth a visit only for that!

They did it up a few years ago but never touched the toilets which still have the same balls of toilet paper stuck to the ceiling for years.

...They did it up a few years ago but never touched the toilets which still have the same balls of toilet paper stuck to the ceiling for years.
    True, very true. Same broken tiles, long term broken toilet door locks, etc...
    It took them something like 5/6 years to clean a large mineral stain off thee main screen (no. 3) that was effecting everyone's film viewing.

Then I noted many a time that they actually show shortened version of films that are also on elsewhere!
    (Lord of the Rings was one. Saw it up in Dublin and then had to go to it again with friends in Drogheda. Then kopped the cuts they made - to get more showings I guess!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They did it up a few years ago but never touched the toilets which still have the same balls of toilet paper stuck to the ceiling for years.

Glad to hear 'auld whitey and snowy are hanging in there :D

Quality of poppy corns is likely directly proportionate to sourness of staff i think :D

Bit late now (or is it) after a dream / a scary movie last night can't get drive in movies out of my head, how well would this work locally during the summer or where could it be done? Is it even possible????????? 10-15€ a car /goes to contemplate a potential money spinner......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

calex71 wrote: »
    can't get drive in movies out of my head, how well would this work locally during the summer or where could it be done? Is it even possible????????? 10-15€ a car /goes to contemplate a potential money spinner......... :pac:

I love drive in movies, with car radio tuned to the movie sound track.

Any large open space should do the job really, Bettystown beach for example (as long as the tide won't come in during the show :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

positron wrote: »
    I love drive in movies, with car radio tuned to the movie sound track.

Any large open space should do the job really, Bettystown beach for example (as long as the tide won't come in during the show :D )

Jayzus, as if there wasn't enough rust buckets on Irish roads already!

Advertisement